Oosterdam Europe 2022 will sail from Trieste

VMax1700

On 4/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Torquer said:

It is now April 11.  Did anybody get any info about transfers from Venice from/to Trieste?  We never even got the original email that the OP posted to this thread so I doubt HAL will be sending us info now.

We need to reschedule our flights for our cruise this summer, since it is highly unlikely HAL will be able to get us to the Venice airport for a 12:40 flight, so we need to know what the options are for Trieste.  Looking at flights for return to US from Trieste, is not looking good; there are very few options and none of them are really good.  So we will probably fly home from Venice, but we need to get there from Trieste at a time that works.

I just pity the people that are on a cruise in early May that have to deal with these last minute changes.  At least we have more time for our August cruise.

Our cruise was supposed to end in Venice July 16th. We wanted a flight back to the states that left Venice at 12:15. We were told by HAL that  there was almost no chance of getting to the airport in time to get that flight, so I doubt that anyone will get to Venice from Trieste for a 12:40 flight, even if we get off the ship at 6:00 am like they are reporting.

I spoke to my travel agent on Good Friday, and HAL will be rebooking for quite awhile.

Just an fyi - friends from the Uk who are on the July 9th - 16th cruise from Trieste have been told that transfers from Marco Polo airport will start at 11AM. There are no other options for transfers from Venice or Mestre. 

If you have not travelled through Marco Polo airport be prepared. I have been flying through there since 1972. Airport growth has not kept up with passenger volume. It was chaos on my last flight in October 2019 on a Wednesday. July / August - especially on cruise ship days - when all of Europe is on vacation - will require you pack an excessive amount of patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taking the  train from Trieste Centrale to MilanCentrale- Malpensa airport is looking better all the time. I'd rather spend my time on the very scenic train ride sweep across Northern Italy,  than wait out a crowd scene in an inadequate, smaller airport.

• Like 1

Oh yes the scenery from Trieste - Venice - Milan is definitely worth it. If possible add a stay in Cortina before it gets over exposed from the Winter 2026 Olympics. Much better than roasting at  Marco Polo airport - lots of floor to ceiling windows in the departure lounges, no window coverings, and no A/C as per North American standards.

Edited by RD64
Additionsl
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kiefaber455 said:

Our cruise was supposed to end in Venice July 16th. We wanted a flight back to the states that left Venice at 12:15. We were told by HAL that  there was almost no chance of getting to the airport in time to get that flight, so I doubt that anyone will get to Venice from Trieste for a 12:40 flight, even if we get off the ship at 6:00 am like they are reporting.

I spoke to my travel agent on Good Friday, and HAL will be rebooking for quite awhile.

I am supposed to be on the 12:15 flight to Philly June 13. In their communication HAL says that flight changes on my part will not be necessary. I did book with Flight ease. I just hope if they do need to change my flight that I won’t be stuck with a looong layover. Especially since I live outside of Philly and my direct flight was perfect

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Just an fyi - friends from the Uk who are on the July 9th - 16th cruise from Trieste have been told that transfers from Marco Polo airport will start at 11AM. There are no other options for transfers from Venice or Mestre. 

That is why we booked a private transfer from Venice to Trieste; they will pick us up at 9:30 am and have us to the cruise terminal by 11:30. If the ship has 1900 passengers and if only half of them take transports shuttles to Trieste that means a caravan of 21 to 23 buses on the highway. 

47 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

I am supposed to be on the 12:15 flight to Philly June 13. In their communication HAL says that flight changes on my part will not be necessary. I did book with Flight ease. I just hope if they do need to change my flight that I won’t be stuck with a looong layover. Especially since I live outside of Philly and my direct flight was perfect

You might want to look into a private transfer unless HAL guarantees you will be at the Venice airport by at least 10:00am.  If Venice is like Rome or Barcelona, checking in at the airlines can be a very long ordeal. You would need to leave Trieste no later than 8:30am. There are not many options to get direct flights back to the US after 1 pm in the afternoon that do not require overnights in connections in Europe. We have a direct flight on Delta to Atlanta that leaves Venice at 11:20am but we decided to fly home the day after our cruise disembarks in Venice.

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is why we booked a private transfer from Venice to Trieste; they will pick us up at 9:30 am and have us to the cruise terminal by 11:30. If the ship has 1900 passengers and if only half of them take transports shuttles to Trieste that means a caravan of 21 to 23 buses on the highway. 

Thanks as always. It will certainly be a work in progress for sometime

• Like 1

Just saw on my reservation that they moved the arrival time in Trieste from 6 am to 5 am for my June 13th cruise. My flight from Venice on disembarkation day leaves at 10:55 am to Amsterdam. I'm worried about missing the flight, but arriving an hour earlier in the morning helps. 

We chose to arrive the day before our cruise to spend more time in Venice, for which I'm grateful since that's now our only time in Venice (our first time).

Also, I checked out some of the shorter excursions in Trieste, and am getting pretty excited. Curious to see which excursions will be available to us for the after we have the day before disembarkation. They even have some excursions to Slovakia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrissy6299 said:

Just saw on my reservation that they moved the arrival time in Trieste from 6 am to 5 am for my June 13th cruise. My flight from Venice on disembarkation day leaves at 10:55 am to Amsterdam. I'm worried about missing the flight, but arriving an hour earlier in the morning helps. 

We chose to arrive the day before our cruise to spend more time in Venice, for which I'm grateful since that's now our only time in Venice (our first time).

Also, I checked out some of the shorter excursions in Trieste, and am getting pretty excited. Curious to see which excursions will be available to us for the after we have the day before disembarkation. They even have some excursions to Slovakia.

Could it be Slovenia instead of Slovakia -which would be pretty far. Slovenia is a lovely country. The capital Is very interesting too 

• Like 2

Strangely, we just received this for our Sept 4th Oosterdam cruise out of Venice. I checked HAL website and it seems to be the only one. I wonder if Trieste is overloaded with ships on that date.

We were fully expecting to sail from Trieste and were planning to spend a day or two there.

827A0403-0E60-40FC-BF90-46193B29F75D.thumb.jpeg.8eeebd358bc8638550bf5d4f11dba7ff.jpeg

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tiggerwudz said:

Strangely, we just received this for our Sept 4th Oosterdam cruise out of Venice. I checked HAL website and it seems to be the only one. I wonder if Trieste is overloaded with ships on that date.

We were fully expecting to sail from Trieste and were planning to spend a day or two there.

827A0403-0E60-40FC-BF90-46193B29F75D.thumb.jpeg.8eeebd358bc8638550bf5d4f11dba7ff.jpeg

Our Oosterdam cruise returns to Port Marghera on Sept 4 and I also thought it was strange that we were the only cruise to return there. We will get off the ship and then be bused to the cruise terminal to debark and get our luggage.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our Oosterdam cruise returns to Port Marghera on Sept 4 and I also thought it was strange that we were the only cruise to return there. We will get off the ship and then be bused to the cruise terminal to debark and get our luggage.

You both got lucky

On 4/12/2022 at 11:25 AM, gailellen12 said:

What time is your departure flight?  Trying to gauge if my 12:15 flight out of Venice will be doable despite only adding in Trieste that same morning at 6 am. I guess time will tell by some of the earlier cruises. Hope those folks make out ok too

When we were originally scheduled to arrive in Venice, we wanted to book a 12:15 from Venice to Philadelphia on July 16. We were told 2 months ago that there was no guarantee that they could get us to the airport in time. Can't imagine that with disembarking in Trieste anyone is going to be able to get a flight much before 2pm 

7 minutes ago, kiefaber455 said:

When we were originally scheduled to arrive in Venice, we wanted to book a 12:15 from Venice to Philadelphia on July 16. We were told 2 months ago that there was no guarantee that they could get us to the airport in time. Can't imagine that with disembarking in Trieste anyone is going to be able to get a flight much before 2pm 

It does seem to be close to impossible. You need to get to the Venice airport no later than 3 hours before your flight but the Venice Airport is always over crowded on days when cruise ships are debarking and realistically  you should allow more than 3 hours. That means you need to be at the airport by no later than 9:15. It is about a 2 hour bus ride from Trieste to the airport without traffic so you would need to be off the ship and on a bus by 7:15. Good luck.

• Like 1

Received an email overnight for June 13th cruise,  with "Important Information" in the title.  The attached PDF said to go to Boarding Documents for an update to assigned or updated boarding time.  Of course Boarding Pass won't be available until April 29th  DOH!

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
This notification is to advise that your assigned check in time for your
upcoming voyage has been assigned or has changed. Please take a moment to
review and print the boarding pass page in your documents from Online Check In
or update your electronic boarding pass in our Navigator app on your phone or
tablet to present to our staff at check in.

Has anyone received notification that the June 1-13 cruise will now arrive in Trieste at 5 am instead of 6 for disembarkation on the 13th ?This was mentioned by a previous poster and would certainly be most helpful to those of us needing to fly home that day. My personal TA as usual has been unable to reach HAL on their always busy phone lines

22 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Has anyone received notification that the June 1-13 cruise will now arrive in Trieste at 5 am instead of 6 for disembarkation on the 13th ?This was mentioned by a previous poster and would certainly be most helpful to those of us needing to fly home that day. My personal TA as usual has been unable to reach HAL on their always busy phone lines

Apparently the poster is on the cruise commencing on the 13th from Trieste so her scheduled times may be different from those of us ending our cruise on the thirteenth. Apologies if I misread this information. It has all gotten rather confusing at this point regarding times , ports etc 🤪

41 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Apparently the poster is on the cruise commencing on the 13th from Trieste so her scheduled times may be different from those of us ending our cruise on the thirteenth. Apologies if I misread this information. It has all gotten rather confusing at this point regarding times , ports etc 🤪

Did you receive an email about an updated boarding pass?  Maybe your TA has received it. It will show the disembarkation time.

Also, can you log into your HAL account online and look at the itinerary?

I can look at our updated itinerary which shows arriving in Trieste at 5 am on June 25th even though we will be arriving at 1pm on June 24th.  So, to me, that means that we can disembark from 5am.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, madera1 said:

I received this notification too this morning. It further shows complimentary transfers between airport and Trieste but not time for these transfers.

My TA found out from Celebrity that the first shuttles from the Venice airport to Trieste start at 11:00am. Since we will be staying in a Hotel in Venice our group of 4 decided to hire a private transport from Venice to the ship in Trieste. Schlepping our luggage to the airport and fighting the crowds then riding for 2 hours in a crowded bus with 40 or more strangers just didn't float our boat. We will be at the cruise port in Trieste by 11:30am. The private transport cost is $433 total for our trip.