Bringing wine question?

LUCY55

Thinking about bringing a couple of bottles of wine. I know Carnival allows this. Thought a pre-dinner drink on the balcony would be nice. However, drinking out of a water glass ruins the moment. Do you think i could get hold of a couple of wine glasses or do I have to bring my own? Also, can you carry wine on air flights? Maybe it is more trouble than it is worth.

Just ask your cabin steward - he will be glad to bring wine glasses to your cabin. However, I usually bring a glass back from one of the lounges, and ask the steward not to remove it. I rinse it out each time, and it's in my cabin for the duration of the cruise. No prob.:)

Since I drive to ports, I've never taken beverages on a plane. Call the airline and ask.

Thinking about bringing a couple of bottles of wine. I know Carnival allows this. Thought a pre-dinner drink on the balcony would be nice. However, drinking out of a water glass ruins the moment. Do you think i could get hold of a couple of wine glasses or do I have to bring my own? Also, can you carry wine on air flights? Maybe it is more trouble than it is worth.

No problem with wine on board a plane. Just flew with 3 bottles last week as a carry on

2 wine and 1 champagne bottles on our cruise. we wrapped in bubble wrap and took with us in the carryon. we would put a bottle out during the day and our room steward would put it on ice for us.

Yes, that's what most folks do. The question was about wine glasses.:D Welcome to the boards!

Wondering how the wine in the box would travel. Better in the suitcase (wrapped in plastic, etc) or in the carry-on?

Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks.

We put a box of wine in the suitcase. It was one of the smaller suitcases, so we just had the wine and a couple of beach towels in there in case it busted. No problems at all even after i saw the porters toss the suitcase into the big cart. But we did end up with about half a box left to bring back and box wine does drip if your not careful so i would suggest a bag or something to tie over the tap for the way back in case you dont drink it all.

2 wine and 1 champagne bottles on our cruise. we wrapped in bubble wrap and took with us in the carryon. we would put a bottle out during the day and our room steward would put it on ice for us.

Just don't use duct tape over the bubble wrap! Friends of ours did this and they had a tough time getting through security checks. Seems like duct tape is metallic and appears as an opaque cylinder on the xray machines. Security had her separated from her bags and nearly had guns drawn thinking she was smuggling a bomb. She laughs about it now, but threw out all her duct tape.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Ah........ but fine wine after flying must "rest" after it's journey and high altitude so allow your wine to sit undistribed for at least 4 days before you uncork it. 2BuckChuck or MadDog20 may not need as long!

We brought 3 bottles along on the Imagination 3 weeks ago. We packed them in our carryon which we stowed in the overhead compartment on the plane, no problem at all. When we got to our cabin on the ship, I just called room service and asked for wine glasses and they asked me if I'd prefer white or red wine glasses! I was surprised and delighted :) They arrived 5 minutes later. BTW, don't forget your corkscrew! :)

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

. BTW, don't forget your corkscrew! :)

Since a corkscrew could be considered a weapon.....

I don't take one. If someone has sent a bottle of wine to me as a bon voyage gift, there have been wine glasses and a corkscrew in the cabin with the wine when I arrived.

Otherwise, I ask the cabin steward for one, and he has brought me a Carnival logo corkscrew on two occasions. Nice little souvenier.:)

We just went to the bar and ordered a glass of wine shortly after departing Miami. Those glasses stayed with us the entire week. The steward was even nice enough to clean them out if they were in the room when he made it up each day. It worked well and we saved $$$ on the bar bill.

We were in a suite on Fantasy and it has wine glasses already there. From what I can tell, all the suites do. Just ask your room steward for some. I'm sure he'll gladly supply them, especially for a couple of extra bucks:D

You can take bottles of wine or liquor on the plane in your carryon. We will do this with the wine to avoid any possibility it would break.

The only exception would be very high proof liquor (Bacardi 151 for example) which is too flammable and not allowed in the cabin, and maybe not in the checked bags, either. I would stick with liquor that was under 100 proof.

I know that the suites already have wine glasses in the rooms. Is there a corkscrew also? I usually bring my own, but if I can get one from the steward , or one is already in the room, that is one less thing I have to worry about. :)

Cotton, I saw your post but was wondering if everyone else had the same good fortune that you did. I was told by another Carnival cruiser that their room steward wouldn't / couldn't bring them a corkscrew. They ended up purchasing one in port!

Archived