HELP WITH WHAT TO DO IN VICTORIA BC ONLY THERE 6-10PM

Lorey2007

Our time in Victoria will be 6-10pm and will need some direction of what we can do from others who have done similar.

We are in our mid 70's and DH has walking disability he & is very slow. We have 5pm dining and would like to leave the ship between 6 and 6:30 is that enough to get a taxi for a 7pm thirty minute horse carriage ride?  Are taxi's readily available?  Is that possible?

After the carriage is it possible to catch a 8pm excursion with the ship?  I have no idea where the RCL excursions meet. Or are there tour vendors on the street or in a certain area that offer a short tour of the city? If we need to get a cab back to the ship would I have to call one?

Just beginning research on this and appreciate any tips, advice of what we can do in this time frame.

ALSO POSTING ON RCL , ROLL CALL & PACIFIC NORTHWEST

It seems ambitious to fit everything in within such a tight timeframe.

Your 5 pm dinner may work if you are eating at the buffet, as I am not sure if you can eat in the MDR and get off the ship and catch a taxi (you and many others) around 6;30.  It is still a bit of a walk off the ship to where buses and taxis would be waiting (especially for someone with a walking disability). And again, you may not be the only folks hoping to do a carriage ride at 7pm.

Finally, being back by 8 to meet up with an excursion really seems optimistic.

Maybe decide between the carriage ride and the 8 pm excursion.

I applaud you for wanting to make the most of your very limited time in Victoria, but you might want to scale it back a bit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It seems ambitious to fit everything in within such a tight timeframe.

Your 5 pm dinner may work if you are eating at the buffet, as I am not sure if you can eat in the MDR and get off the ship and catch a taxi (you and many others) around 6;30.  It is still a bit of a walk off the ship to where buses and taxis would be waiting (especially for someone with a walking disability). And again, you may not be the only folks hoping to do a carriage ride at 7pm.

Finally, being back by 8 to meet up with an excursion really seems optimistic.

Maybe decide between the carriage ride and the 8 pm excursion.

I applaud you for wanting to make the most of your very limited time in Victoria, but you might want to scale it back a bit.

Thanks, I'm sure we'll take our time and do the 8pm city tour at 8pm.  In the dark🙁

Saw your post on PNW first to main reply there - but re: taxis, there will be a queue of them at the pier as cruisers mean income. Coming back from wherever you end up, probably not a bad idea to have a couple of local cab contact numbers with you in case you don't see one on the street - three firms that seem to have survived Covid are Victoria Taxi, Bluebird Cabs, and Yellowcab.

All rates are set regionally, same for all cabs, so doesn't matter who you use in terms of price, safety, licensing of drivers etc.

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks, I'm sure we'll take our time and do the 8pm city tour at 8pm.  In the dark🙁

Not sure of your cruise date, but sunset is 9:00 pm or a little later in most of June & July. 

21 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Google says on Sept 1st sunset is 8:05pm.

Ok. I was not sure what the date of your cruise was. September will be a shorter dayI was not sure what the date of your cruise was. September will be a shorter day

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, Victoria is stunning at night. They take great care to illuminate the buildings, especially the Empress hotel and government building along the Inner Harbor. I have been to Victoria many times and found it quite safe and enjoyable at night. 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 12:57 PM, zestyzorra said:

For what it's worth, Victoria is stunning at night. They take great care to illuminate the buildings, especially the Empress hotel and government building along the Inner Harbor. I have been to Victoria many times and found it quite safe and enjoyable at night. 

zestyzorra - What suggestions do you have for a first timer going there only for 4 hours (3 1/2 to be back in time).

17 minutes ago, stunned said:

zestyzorra - What suggestions do you have for a first timer going there only for 4 hours (3 1/2 to be back in time).

Hi stunned,

I believe it's about a 24 minute walk from the cruise port to the downtown area.  I would walk, if possible... otherwise take a taxi.  (There are also bus routes but I haven't personally taken them.) 

The most scenic part of the Inner Harbor starts at the Empress Hotel.  From there, it is easy to walk along the water and into downtown.  There are numerous pubs with wonderful food and atmosphere (my favorite is the Bard & Banker, but Irish Times and Swan's Pub are great, too).  Roger's Chocolates on Government Street is also a classic place for sweets and souvenirs.  Red Fish Blue Fish is an amazing place on the water to grab fish & chips (it is super casual.  They are only open until 7pm right now, might be later if your cruise is in July or August).  

I'm assuming your time in port is 6pm - 10pm, so some of the shops might be closed.  No matter,  Victoria is such a pleasant and charming place!  Even if you just walk around and stop by a pub, you will enjoy it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

Hi stunned,

I believe it's about a 24 minute walk from the cruise port to the downtown area.  I would walk, if possible... otherwise take a taxi.  (There are also bus routes but I haven't personally taken them.) 

The most scenic part of the Inner Harbor starts at the Empress Hotel.  From there, it is easy to walk along the water and into downtown.  There are numerous pubs with wonderful food and atmosphere (my favorite is the Bard & Banker, but Irish Times and Swan's Pub are great, too).  Roger's Chocolates on Government Street is also a classic place for sweets and souvenirs.  Red Fish Blue Fish is an amazing place on the water to grab fish & chips (it is super casual.  They are only open until 7pm right now, might be later if your cruise is in July or August).  

I'm assuming your time in port is 6pm - 10pm, so some of the shops might be closed.  No matter,  Victoria is such a pleasant and charming place!  Even if you just walk around and stop by a pub, you will enjoy it.  

I love Pub Food...Shepard's Pie!!!....Where is a good place for Canada souvenirs? Its my first time to Victoria...Thanks

1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

Hi stunned,

We are actually in port from 8 pm to midnight (I should have clarified that when asking).

4 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I love Pub Food...Shepard's Pie!!!....Where is a good place for Canada souvenirs? Its my first time to Victoria...Thanks

There are quite a few shops with souvenirs along Government Street, between the Fairmont Empress hotel and Chinatown.  If you are looking for food souvenirs, the Market on Yates has great Canadian items (it is mainly a grocery store but with high quality and unique finds). If you happen to be going to the Butchart Gardens, I highly recommend the gift shop there. I can't go without buying something...  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stunned said:

We are actually in port from 8 pm to midnight (I should have clarified that when asking).

Bummer about the timing, but as I said before, Victoria is beautiful at night. I think it is worth walking around the Inner Harbor at the very least. The pubs will definitely still be open as well. Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

There are quite a few shops with souvenirs along Government Street, between the Fairmont Empress hotel and Chinatown.  If you are looking for food souvenirs, the Market on Yates has great Canadian items (it is mainly a grocery store but with high quality and unique finds). If you happen to be going to the Butchart Gardens, I highly recommend the gift shop there. I can't go without buying something...  Have a great cruise!

Is there a place that sells Beaver Tails or is that just on the east Coast  Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks🙂

Lorey, Google Beaver Tail Broughton St Victoria and check out their website. Yummy! They are located super close to the dock.