Passport renewal application question

20 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Thank you, everyone! I'll just write it on there. I'm not worried about my handwriting, just didn't want it kicked back for some bureaucratic error. 

Sad reality is it may be kicked back due to the Feds clerk being lame in the brain and with nothing you did wrong. 

I renewed my passport last month. Yes, I re-wrote my full name on the check and added DOB, just like the example on the DOS web site. Of course the first application came back due to bad photo, damn CVS. So I logged onto the USPS, got an appointment the same day, and re-submitted the entire package with a new application and a USPS photo. The postal clerk showed me that the CVS picture was 1/32" too small. And today my new passport [this makes pp #8 for me] arrived! Nothing expedited, so in total it took 3 weeks from date the check was cashed until I had the new pp. 

As the postal clerk said it all depends on the mood of the person handling the application - multiple people along the entire process. 

Darcy

Knowing that government clerks can lack imagination, just play the game according to their rules-- put your DOB on  the check, along with your name (as it complies with the name on your application) CLEARLY WRITTEN _ WHICH MEANS PRINTED< NOT CURSIVE-- why try to play games without playing by the rules?

On 4/8/2022 at 1:07 PM, crazy4themouse said:

Hi all, quick question here. We're trying to complete my husband's passport renewal application, and I just noticed that it says "the full name and date of birth of the applicant must be typed or printed on the front of the check." We haven't had info such as DOB or DL #'s or anything like that printed on checks in many years... Heck, it's a wonder I could even find a book of checks to write one, lol. Does the DOB really need to be on there?? Should I hand-write it? I don't want his application kicked back for some dumb reason like this. 

Has anyone submitted an application recently who can give any insight on this? Thanks!

I just sent mine a few weeks ago. I hand wrote it all on there.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, crazy4themouse said:

Our government is a wee bit behind on technology, to say the least... 😅  But I'm afraid if I hand write it in, they'll kick it right back - because that's just the bureaucratic way they do things. 🙄

I hand wrote it all and they cashed my check so I guess it was ok

On 4/9/2022 at 7:53 AM, hallux said:

That may be so, but the page specifically calls out to include you D-O-B on the check...

1332242086_ScreenShot2022-04-09at7_53_10AM.thumb.png.e0fdee01d7eddadfe7c058b46ebf4b06.png

Not too hard to understand.  Very often people have abbreviated (or nick-) names printed on their checks - and if they need to match the check with the application, it helps if those details align.

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 4/9/2022 at 5:18 PM, WatchHill said:

I renewed my passport last month. Yes, I re-wrote my full name on the check and added DOB, just like the example on the DOS web site. Of course the first application came back due to bad photo, damn CVS. So I logged onto the USPS, got an appointment the same day, and re-submitted the entire package with a new application and a USPS photo. The postal clerk showed me that the CVS picture was 1/32" too small. And today my new passport [this makes pp #8 for me] arrived! Nothing expedited, so in total it took 3 weeks from date the check was cashed until I had the new pp. 

See, that's ridiculous about the picture... 🙄 But a great turnaround time! Our next cruise isn't until October, so no big hurry here. Good thing, because we mailed it from the post office here in Friendswood on Friday and according to the tracking it still hasn't made it to Irving yet (about a 5 hour drive from here). So we'll see, lol. My husband's name on our checks is just as it is on his passport, so I just clearly printed his DOB next to that at the top of the check. Now I guess we'll just see if Walgreen's managed to get his picture right!

14 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

See, that's ridiculous about the picture... 🙄 But a great turnaround time! Our next cruise isn't until October, so no big hurry here. Good thing, because we mailed it from the post office here in Friendswood on Friday and according to the tracking it still hasn't made it to Irving yet (about a 5 hour drive from here). So we'll see, lol. My husband's name on our checks is just as it is on his passport, so I just clearly printed his DOB next to that at the top of the check. Now I guess we'll just see if Walgreen's managed to get his picture right!

Hi, I would have still written his name on the top of the the check.......same as on the passport or not.

Let us know if they accept the way you chose to submit it.   I think they are asking for a reason and would have followed their instructions.