First timer with Paul Gauguin

mattduke1

I need some advice on how I should go about planning my first Paul Gauguin cruise and all the logistics that go with it.  Do you recommend I specifically go through a Paul Gauguin customer representative to set all of the details up or should I make contact with a local travel agency and go through them to handle all of the specifics?

This will be a very important occasion, so I just want to make sure I do things in the best way.  I would think going through a Paul Gauguin customer representative would be the easiest way, but I'm just not sure.  We'll need flights (from the East Coast), pre-stay ideas, and cruise help.  

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Whether you choose to use a travel agent (TA) or book on your own is a personal choice.  I can tell you that having a knowledgeable travel agent who specializes in cruises and who lives nearby is something I place a high value on.  I like knowing that my TA has vacationed on the ship I’m thinking of booking and can give me advice and tips relevant to my destination based on personal experience.  I also like knowing that I can drive 5 minutes to the travel agency to pick up papers, ask questions, or grab a few extra luggage tags as needed.

As well, I cannot imagine the countless hours I would have spent trying to rearrange my trip after COVID hit, both in 2020 and in 2021.  Instead, I left the arrangements to my travel agent who rebooked our cruise, found us a new resort for our pre-cruise stay (because the original hotel had closed its doors permanently), and got us seats on the flights that worked best for us.  

Yes, we still do our fair share of research and asking questions, but having a TA gives us assurance that no detail is overlooked and we will have a single point of contact if we need assistance with anything.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a thoughtful response.  You didn't have to do that and I appreciate it.  Sounds like I need to start researching agencies in my local area that specialize traveling to this part of the world.

The TA I use has been to FP as much as myself, 26 times. She does not live close to me but in a day where almost everything is done digitally it doesn't matter to me that she is 300 miles away. To me having someone who is so knowledgeable is a key point. Things change often in FP so having an agent who frequents FP is invaluable. To sum it up  .... ask a potential TA 2 things

1. How many times have yo been to FP? The bigger the number the better.

2. When was the last time? My TA will visit FP 3 times this year  ... 

• Like 1

Congrats on going..it’s the most beautiful place I’ve seen…using a TA got us more on board credit and he looked out for us…we had to cancel our second trip 1.5 years  ago ( we all know why) and our TA took care of all cancellations and insured we got fully refunded from PG….enjoy your trip and all comments above are true, experience matters when booking FP trips 

I suggest a TA who has experience with the cruise line.  This does NOT mean someone locally, necessarily.  My TA is halfway across the continent from me.  There are perks--sometimes rebates or onboard credits and knowledge of different cabins.  We can't suggest a TA here so you'll have to do your own research, but they are out there!