Sky Princess - blog as we sail - Mum, Dad & Teenager!

Maizie_Mouse

38 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

They were not allowing people off said there was no other way to get from Port & I definitely didn't see taxis out there it was only coaches. 

It is also a long shuttle trip into Bilbao so if you don’t fancy waiting on shuttles again the local town of Getxo is actually quite nice and walking distance from the port.

If you walk along the promenade from the dock about half way along you will find a lift in the hillside. This takes you up to the town centre (used to cost €1 but may be more now). You can walk up but it is a fairly steep walk. The town is not massive but it has some nice shops, decent cafes etc.

Enjoy your day whatever you do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

They were not allowing people off said there was no other way to get from Port & I definitely didn't see taxis out there it was only coaches. 

That is a real shame, hopefully the taxis will. Return in the future. 

oops with the hairdryer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

I booked test with DocHQ online for the day before, I booked about 3 weeks in advance, tests arrived within 2 days, very efficient service, logged on at 10am to do the observed test & we had the certificates by 10:30. Definitely recommend them.

Was it a nose only antigen test or a throat one?

Day 4 Bilbao 

As we weren't getting off too early we decided to go to buffet breakfast again to give it a try, we were too late for formal breakfast anyway! It was much better in the marketplace this time because obviously it was a port day, people having breakfast earlier so they could go off the ship, a good choice of all the the usual stuff for breakfast, although there were a few strange things I didn't expect to see at breakfast time like cauliflower and Brussels sprouts but hey whatever takes your fancy I suppose! 

It was a nice bright warm sunny day so we thought let's go get our stuff and let's get off so we proceeded to get off the ship and there was a long queue to into the port where the buses were, waited for a short while and then actually had enough waiting,  we went back to the ship we'd had enough. 

Grabed a bag with some stuff to go to sit around by the pool, other 2 said they were going to the gym, that lasted all of 20 mins 😂 I was happy sitting there watching some Netflix, announcement about 12ish to say because of a traffic accident earlier the buses were now in good supply & we did consider getting off but couldn't be bothered by now. Made the most of a quiet ship. 

Had some lunch, tried the chips from Salty Dog, they were good 😋 will eventually have a burger & hot dog, it would be rude not to try them too 😅

Big screen at the pool is fantastic and despite being bright sunlight you can see it clearly, hopefully there will be a film I want to watch 1 evening. 

Decided to do a little laundry, boy it was a hike from our room to the laundry at they other end of the ship, 3 times there & back clocked up almost 1800 steps 😅

Captain came on before we left port to update us on weather on route to Lisbon, it wasn't going to be great some rock & roll on the way... 

Couldn't be bothered to rush to get ready for 6.30 dinner booking so decided to cancel it, we went to Alfred's again, got there about 7 & was a good time with no queue. Great meal, I love the calzone. 

After dinner went to check out the photos from formal night, no surprise for us they all got deleted 😂 well try again another night. 

Went to Belinis for a drink & to play a few rounds of rummikub. 

• Like 3

Sea day today & not the calmest of seas. Captain came on again to tell us another change to itinerary 🤦🏼‍♀️ a few days before the cruise we had email to say Gibraltar & Cadiz stops had been swapped round, we had a ship trip booked for Cadiz so wasn't too worried as they'd take care of changing things. Now they have switched back to original itinerary. 

When we arrived in our room there was a letter saying our trip had been cancelled for what we thought was due to 1st change, although I always suspected it would never happen, I'd done a little research before I booked it & checked with Princess & they assured me it would be happening if they were offering it for sale. 

This is how we ended up with  $200 obc even though booked & paid on a credit card they refunded to on board account. 

After this mornings announcement of the stop swap again, I thought I'd check with shore excursion desk what I already knew & I was right, the trip was not going to be back on because the horse place did not do its displays on a weekend! 

Always pays to do a little research because clearly Princess didn't before offering the trip to passengers! 

57 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

This is how we ended up with  $200 obc even though booked & paid on a credit card they refunded to on board account. 

It is Refundable OBC, but if that much is left over at end of voyage, you have to wait for a cheque in the mail.  PITA, but they don't refund to credit cards.

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Check the decks above and below for the laundry, some might be your end of the ship.

Might be the case for the older ships (e.g  Sapphire Princess) but they are all in the same spot on Royal class ships.

• Like 2

Day 5 Sea day. 

Sea not so calm, we had set an alarm for about 8 so we could do formal breakfast, rather than play battle of the buffet! 

Came back & chilled out for a while, because the weather wasn't so good most inside areas were quite crowded. 

Son wanted to order room service for lunch so we thought why not, very lazy but it saved trying to find a table somewhere, ordered via the TV very easy & it arrived within the suggested time of 30 mins. 

Started to get a bit of cabin fever so ventured down to to see if we could find a table, we did eventually, sat for a while with a drink & played a few games watching the world go by. 

Dinner in MDR then on to the show, I noticed they moved the time from 8 & 10 to 8:15 & 10:15. It was Gareth Oliver again & as I missed him the other night I really wanted to see him. He was brilliant, 45 mins of laughter all the way, not laughed so much in ages, if he's on any of your cruises go & see him it's defo good for the soul all that laughter 🤣

Clocks go back  1 hour for Lisbon tomorrow, and no shuttle buses required so should be easy & quick to get off. Passenger locator forms done, bit of a faff but when I got to the 3rd 1 I knew what I was doing!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve&Liz said:

I see in the pictures of your cabin, there is a curtain between the bed and sofa area.  Do you perhaps know if the balcony cabins also  have a curtain?

No they don't.  balcony cabins do not have a sofa.  Deluxe balcony does have a love seat but no curtain.  Only mini suite has a sofa with an extra tv and therefore has a curtain.  I'm sure full suites must have something too.

Hi Maizie, Thanks for the blog I'm enjoying following it.

We'll be getting on the Sky Princess the day day you get off.

I was wondering if you could let me know how busy the various bars/lounges are in the evening. I'm particularly interested in Vines, Crown Grill Bar, Bellini's and Take 5. Also the MDR are they always busy? Are all three of them open each evening?

I'd be grateful to hear any insights you can offer.

Hope you're having a great time

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marronnier said:

Hi Maizie, Thanks for the blog I'm enjoying following it.

We'll be getting on the Sky Princess the day day you get off.

I was wondering if you could let me know how busy the various bars/lounges are in the evening. I'm particularly interested in Vines, Crown Grill Bar, Bellini's and Take 5. Also the MDR are they always busy? Are all three of them open each evening?

I'd be grateful to hear any insights you can offer.

Hope you're having a great time

For the MDR it's best to book a table or you join the no booking line, I book in the morning once I've seen the menu on the TV & book through TV also. There are all open in the evening, Estrella open for breakfast & lunch too. 

Bellinis does get busy but we've managed to get a table on the evenings we've gone there. Crowne Grill bar area we only been to once which was the night we ate there & there were a few tables available. Not been to the other venues that mention. 

Hope that helps 😊

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Marronnier said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. We'll be sure to try some of these venues.

Cruise before.

Take 5 seemed to be the quietist day and evenings but you need to like jazz

Check Vines opening times as it is just overflow for Belinis till then.

For us it was 11am sea days and afternoon on port days.

We got seats at the bar most days when we wanted.

Also Vista alternated between the band(busy) and the DJ(quiet),  if you timed it and put up with the DJ you could get seats in Vista that could not be invaded by others.

We tried to get one end of the bar in front of the bar area, good views and easy to attract service. 

The retreat bar was often quieter than the main pool option and the aft one(weather permitting).  

• Thanks 1

Day 7 Lisbon 

Glorious day & we can just walk off the ship no shuttles required. 

Braved breakfast at the buffet as we'd missed the MDR breakfast, wasn't too crazy & now I know the lay out. 

So there are 3 sections with the biggest in the middle & 2 smaller sections either end with a smaller offering each end then you have the pastry shop corridor somewhere in there 2. 

Had a nice day out picked  up some olive oil to bring home & nata tarts when in Rome & all that... boy they are good. 

Got back on board about 2:45 grabbed a quick bite of lunch & went back to room to chill, it was nice on the balcony & we were port side so we were able to watch Lisbon go by. 

MDR menu didn't really take our fancy so we thought we'd look at the Portuguese /Brazilian offering in buffet, nothing really grabbed us, so we had salty dog burgers & fries - they were good, all cooked fresh. 

The sun beds were made up with pillows & blankets for movies under the stars, so we though let's chill a bit even though the movie was of no interest but even with blankets Chill was what we felt 😂 so we didn't stay out too long. 

• Like 1

A sample of a typical Sea day Princess patter nothing really too exciting, but that's prob because still trying to be Covid safe with things. 

I'd asked about playing bridge as my mum & her partner are coming on the cruise after next & like to play, but because cards are touched by many people they don't offer things like that at the mo, this would also explain why there are no cocktail menus on any tables or bar counters. 

There are no books or games freely available, you can ask to borrow but on return are sanitised & not lend out for another 48 hrs, so if you used to go to the library to borrow you might need to bring books with. 

Collage_20220415_094545.jpg

Edited by Maizie_Mouse
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 4:11 AM, dickinson said:

No they don't.  balcony cabins do not have a sofa.  Deluxe balcony does have a love seat but no curtain.  Only mini suite has a sofa with an extra tv and therefore has a curtain.  I'm sure full suites must have something too.

We usually travel in Vista suites on Grand class ships and yes we had a curtain 

Day 8 & 9 Sea day & Gibraltar 

Nice weather on sea day, but by time we got up to pool deck their were no seats in the sun left, we tried formal lunch at Estrella for a change to see what it was like, nice choice of food from soups, sandwiches, pasta, burgers & main meals also, you can see the menu from your tv each day.

Again didn’t really fancy the MDR menu for dinner and from chatting to people (as you do) we’re not alone with this, many not happy at all with the food, I guess it’s personal likes & dislikes but we certainly don’t go hungry!

there was a Phil Collins tribute act on in the theatre, I’m not sure why we didn’t go but apparently he was rather good.

Woke up in Gibraltar to a beautiful day, had breakfast in the buffet it wasn’t crazy & we got a table straightaway, after we headed out, we hadn’t booked any tour we were just going to see on the day, Hub had done the rock & cave before on a previous cruise & son really didn’t seem interested so we just went & did a bit of shopping, there is a duty free shop at the port & for anyone visiting on a future cruise their prices were as good if not better than Gib high street. I benched this on my bottle of perfume which was £90 & any perfume shop I went in it was £100.

Some nice shops if you just wasn’t a mooch inc some from home  M&S, Peacocks, Superdrug,Costa to name but a few. I drifted in & out of a few the boutique clothes shops & picked myself up a nice outfit for a wedding I have in the summer, just need to add accessories which I might find in the Spanish stops over next few days 😜 of course for us English visitors, everything is priced mostly in GB££.

Son wanted some aftershave, so after stopping at every shop he still couldn’t decide which one he wanted 🤦🏼‍♀️ I got my perfume in the Chanel shop,  it was priced at £100 so put it back knowing it was cheaper in the port shop, but a lady came running to me saying I got 10% off so that made it same price 😊 

It was really warm, we were hot & feet started to ache so we headed back to the ship, the walk there & back is longer than I remember, the is a return shuttle run by the port for £6 return for those who can’t walk the distance. Took another look in the port shop son had now decide which scent he liked & typical they didn’t have that 1, anyway I

he found another, sprayed it on & we left it & said we’d come back down after lunch to buy it if he still liked it in an hour. 

Having had a quick check of prices at home on a bottle of JD honey the bottle in the port shop was £10 cheaper, thank you very much 1 for me £20 bargain. 

Because we’d had late lunch none of us were starving so cancelled MDR booking & had a look at the British/Indian theme in buffet, prob the best we’d seen of an evening, I just had some roast beef & a bowl of salad, hub & son had some curry & biryani & said it was good?

Sat outside after as it was such a glorious evening also there was going to be a great sail away with DJ Ron & then a band. The atmosphere was great, a lot of great sing along songs.

All in all a great day.

tomorrow Cadiz but we now don’t have a tour because Princess should never have offered the one we booked for sale 😥 not sure what we’ll do as it’s Easter Sunday can’t imagine there will be a lot locally that would be open - we shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1