Silversea Spirit May 2nd Athens Cruise

eric4395

Anyone else booked on this cruise and have received any documentation yet..

My wife and I have had this cruise reserved for about 6 months ago with all details in my Silversea up todate

Our TA informed us we would not receive our confirmation package until 7/10 days before cruise !

We fly from Scotland to Amsterdam this was originally  via London Heathrow then changed via Amsterdam on Sun 1st May and stay overnight in Athens with a silversea allocated hotel. 

There is no cabin allocated as yet and no information regarding covid testing as to what is required pre cruise especially  with us leaving on a sun to Athens the day before. 

TA said the reason given from silverseas  was in case there was  to be any late changes?

Whether that is to flying or the cruise itself we are not sure. Must say its not ideal not knowing exactly what's happening till the week before you are going. 

Hi we are on the same cruise, (We're also from Scotland) we sailed on the Spirit in January and the Moon last June from Athens, e tickets will be posted on My Silversea around 1/2 weeks before boarding, believe it or not, you don't actually need them, passport suffices for flights and was never asked for cruise tickets, we booked late (Cruise to Japan was cancelled) so booked our own flights and hotel, (we're staying at the King George, next door to the SS Hotel, and we arrive two days early (Late on the Saturday) One thing you should have is your cabin number, did you book a specific cabin or just guarantee (GTY i think) any questions, come back to me 

PS , We're Fifers, where are you from?

21 minutes ago, Throast said:

Hi we are on the same cruise, (We're also from Scotland) we sailed on the Spirit in January and the Moon last June from Athens, e tickets will be posted on My Silversea around 1/2 weeks before boarding, believe it or not, you don't actually need them, passport suffices for flights and was never asked for cruise tickets, we booked late (Cruise to Japan was cancelled) so booked our own flights and hotel, (we're staying at the King George, next door to the SS Hotel, and we arrive two days early (Late on the Saturday) One thing you should have is your cabin number, did you book a specific cabin or just guarantee (GTY i think) any questions, come back to me 

Hi Throast just across the water Falkirk area.😄 Yes think cabin was just to be allocated but it's a guaranteed Classic Veranda Suite as described.. As said originally meant to be BA flights via Heathrow but that was changed to KLM via Amsterdam a couple of months ago. So just wondering why all confirmation is so late.What are you doing regarding covid testing pre board? Expecting an update from our holiday agent tommorow. 

Hi Eric, Dont know why, but SS often leave things late for e tickets etc (Possibly to do with changes and cancelations due to Covid) Your GTY booking is likely to get up graded to superior or delux veranda, all veranda cabins  are all exactly the same, with the location/floor on the ship being the only change. WE are flying BA but flight times are terrible, arrive late Saturday, regarding Covid Test, I believe Hotel will have this facility (will have that confirmed shortly) The SS Hotel and King George share facilities. Have you checked MYSilversea for restaurant/excursion booking etc also Face book have a great Silversea forum

We have an excursion every port as part of the package deal which we have already arranged through mysilversea. Also the hotel we seem to be going to is Grande Bretagne. Restaurants we will just choose on the day.

Has anyone confirmed that there will be testing at the Grande Bretagne hotel before the May 2nd Spirit cruise. Or will there be testing at the pier on May 2nd.  We fly in late Saturday and will be there Saturday night and Sunday. Board on Monday.

I was informed by our hotel, the sister hotel to Grande Bretagne, (situated next door and sharing facilities) that testing will be available. Also I believe testing will also be available at the cruise terminal, but this may delay you in boarding. See you on board

• Like 1

14 days to go but still no  official confirmation from silverseas regarding anything flights, hotel,  covid tests pre board? Although on mysilversea it has flights, hotel and a cabin number. Our TA is none to happy with silverseas lack of response to this cruise for its customers?

23 hours ago, eric4395 said:

14 days to go but still no  official confirmation from silverseas regarding anything flights, hotel,  covid tests pre board

Keep checking under the "Documents" tab.  I found that the cruise ticket they post there a few weeks before sailing included information about the pre-cruise testing in the fine print.  The "air ticket" has a confirmation code you can use to get on the airline website and choose seats.  The airline may also include a "travel ready" or similar option where you can pre-load your vaccination certificate and it will tell you if you need to fill out a passenger locater form for the country you are entering.

• Like 1

We got our cruise tickets today (not that you need them) in these times, its normal for SS to send tickets about two weeks before embarkation, believe this is mainly due to cancelations/changes. We've booked our own flights and Hotel for this one so cant comment on airline tickets

Yes finally got ours emailed today. 

Still confused by there guidelines regarding pre boarding covid tests?

My wife and I have had both jags plus a booster but not sure what category we come under?Fully vaccinated guests take a test 2 days before if you can or if not you can  at pier till may 31st

Or up to date guests have 3 days before cruise to take a test but complimentary is only available up to April 31st.? I am hoping we are under fully vaccinated but will probably have to wait at pier to get tested if that's the case.

May 2 cruise, Athens to Athens.  I just received my ticket and am still confused about boarding requirements.  Specifically, page 3 as follows:

• Up To Date Vaccinated Guests: If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must provide a negative Covid-19 antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 3 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.
    • IMPORTANT FOR ANY GUEST EMBARKING IN AN EU PORT: Please note that the EU requires that all embarking guests must hold proof of a valid antigen negative test result (administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy) PERFORMED WITHIN 24 HOURS OF EMBARKATION. Please click here for information regarding EU entry and testing protocols.

I am up to date vaccinated so seem to need a test 3 days prior to boarding.  If I cannot  work that out because I leave home 3 days before what do I do?  It seems that Silversea only provides testing until April 30.  I will be in Athens on May 1 but because it is May Day it may be difficult to find a test.

OK if I solve this, am I a GUEST EMBARKING IN AN EU PORT?  If so, does that change the testing requirement to 24 hours?  I must get test on May 1?  I hope I’m making this more complicated than it really is and that someone can give me a simple answer.  Should I be tested within 24 hours or within three days?  It makes a big difference in planning.

I just spoke with my Silversea representative and he said that since we are boarding in an EU port we fall under the 24 hour testing rule.  Silversea will be providing testing through May 31.  At one place on the email it shows Apr 30 and another shows May 31.  I read the Apr 30.  So pier-side testing seems easiest unless your hotel provides testing within the 24 hr period.  Sorry for the previous long post.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, lesliedrew said:

I just spoke with my Silversea representative and he said that since we are boarding in an EU port we fall under the 24 hour testing rule.  Silversea will be providing testing through May 31.  At one place on the email it shows Apr 30 and another shows May 31.  I read the Apr 30.  So pier-side testing seems easiest unless your hotel provides testing within the 24 hr period.  Sorry for the previous long post.

Don't apologize, they are the ones making it quite confusing......I sail at the end of June. I have to wonder if they will have new protocols in place by that time too.

Honestly, Silversea needs to do a better job proofreading! This is not the first confusing email posted here. 

Thanks for the update, @lesliedrew, and please let us know how it goes in Athens with the testing. I'm sailing from there on May 28 so it's a relief to hear that pier side complimentary testing will be available.

Just had ours confirmed by TA as well for this cruise that we will be tested at port. Still not sure whether we will be allowed to leave ship at Ashod or not for definite due to the troubles there, anyone else know if other ships are docking there at present and allowed to do tours of Jerusalem?

My partner and I are also on the 02 May Cruise: looking forward to it.  We did a cruise on the Silver Moon this past August and the good news is that Silversea and the port agents in Athens were much more organized than the documentation suggests; even then, when everyone needed a pre-cruise at pier antigen test, boarding was effortless for the +/- 400 passengers on that sailing.  We were tested, evaluated, checked in, and on the ship within 30 minutes.  One word of advise, do NOT get to the pier before 200PM: you will not  be let into the terminal areas, there is no place to wait outside and you will be send away - timing is taken seriously.

Here is some inside info.

• There will be pier side testing available.  And most hotels in Athens are offering testing at Euro 30.00 per person.  It is probably best and faster to spend the money and get the testing done before hand; you will then be able to board quickly and "cut to the front of the line."
  • The ship, at this moment, is not fully booked.
  • Re Ashdod on 08 May: still unclear exactly how that will work.  All pax will need a PCR test upon arrival in Israel; if the test is done after docking in Ashdod, it will take about 2 hours to test everyone then another 4 hours or so for the tests to be processed and results transmitted.  The ship will clear upon receipt of the results: docking is scheduled for 800AM so it is possible that we may be able to leave the ship between 200PM and 300PM.  We could get to Ashdod earlier  in the morning to accelerate the process.  We could be tested on the sea day prior to arrival into Ashdod with results being turned over to the labs/authorities upon arrival  which would save a lot of time.  Or something else could happen.  I am sure that we will hear more on board - my partner and I are hoping to take a taxi from the port to Tel Aviv (45 minute ride) mid-afternoon with the operative word being "hope".  There may or may not be shore excursions offered on this day - this will be handled on board.  Other ships have been operating shore excursions by 200PM (and those are bigger ships) on the arrival day into Israel. 
  • Restaurants for this voyage are busy - especially La Dame and Silver Note which seem to be on a wait list only basis on most evenings;  reservations are probably a good idea at this point.  It may be possible to make choices on board but be prepared to be very flexible.
  • Curiously, tours at the island stops are quite busy while tours is Ashdod and Haifa remain very available - that does not make sense.  It could have to do with how the 08 May (first day Ashdod) situation works out.

Looking forward to another Silversea journey and everyone travel safe - see you in Athens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAL Cruiser said:

My partner and I are also on the 02 May Cruise: looking forward to it.  We did a cruise on the Silver Moon this past August and the good news is that Silversea and the port agents in Athens were much more organized than the documentation suggests; even then, when everyone needed a pre-cruise at pier antigen test, boarding was effortless for the +/- 400 passengers on that sailing.  We were tested, evaluated, checked in, and on the ship within 30 minutes.  One word of advise, do NOT get to the pier before 200PM: you will not  be let into the terminal areas, there is no place to wait outside and you will be send away - timing is taken seriously.

Here is some inside info.

• There will be pier side testing available.  And most hotels in Athens are offering testing at Euro 30.00 per person.  It is probably best and faster to spend the money and get the testing done before hand; you will then be able to board quickly and "cut to the front of the line."
  • The ship, at this moment, is not fully booked.
  • Re Ashdod on 08 May: still unclear exactly how that will work.  All pax will need a PCR test upon arrival in Israel; if the test is done after docking in Ashdod, it will take about 2 hours to test everyone then another 4 hours or so for the tests to be processed and results transmitted.  The ship will clear upon receipt of the results: docking is scheduled for 800AM so it is possible that we may be able to leave the ship between 200PM and 300PM.  We could get to Ashdod earlier  in the morning to accelerate the process.  We could be tested on the sea day prior to arrival into Ashdod with results being turned over to the labs/authorities upon arrival  which would save a lot of time.  Or something else could happen.  I am sure that we will hear more on board - my partner and I are hoping to take a taxi from the port to Tel Aviv (45 minute ride) mid-afternoon with the operative word being "hope".  There may or may not be shore excursions offered on this day - this will be handled on board.  Other ships have been operating shore excursions by 200PM (and those are bigger ships) on the arrival day into Israel. 
  • Restaurants for this voyage are busy - especially La Dame and Silver Note which seem to be on a wait list only basis on most evenings;  reservations are probably a good idea at this point.  It may be possible to make choices on board but be prepared to be very flexible.
  • Curiously, tours at the island stops are quite busy while tours is Ashdod and Haifa remain very available - that does not make sense.  It could have to do with how the 08 May (first day Ashdod) situation works out.

Looking forward to another Silversea journey and everyone travel safe - see you in Athens.

This was sent out a few weeks ago
regarding Ashdod port

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Silver Spirit for your upcoming voyage. We are writing today with an itinerary update regarding calls in Israel.

We are happy to announce that Ashdod will re-open to cruise ships in time for your voyage (the port has recently been closed). Accordingly, we have amended the itinerary to now include an overnight in Ashdod on Sunday 8 May for country-mandated COVID-19 PCR testing (guests are not permitted ashore on this day). A late-night departure on Monday 9 May allows for a full day of shoreside discovery in Ashdod. To accommodate this change, Silver Spirit will no longer have an overnight in Haifa, but will enjoy a day of exploration on Tuesday 10 May.

Please note, all shore excursion reservations affected by this itinerary change will be automatically cancelled and/or rescheduled in the coming days. Please visit your MySilversea account to review/confirm your options from Ashdod on 9 May and from Haifa on 10 May

I have never sailed with SS before so not sure how they compensate if at all for a cancelled tour. We have missed out on  a tour in Haifa if I remember correctly (as part of the package deal we booked) as we were originally meant to dock there for 2 days, now it's only 1 day. What about an offer to a free meal in one of the speciality restaurants or even a tour of Athens before our late flight home ( 6pm)on disembarkation day. Or I'm I being a bit to optomistic 😄