Ultimate Balcony Dinner

CruiseNYC

On Discovery no UBD, Chef’s Table nor Winemakers Dinner available on at least the first 3 cruises. Reason I was told by an assistant restaurant manager (AKA headwaiter) was a lack of sufficient wine inventory & the delayed shipment of special tableware for these dinners.

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

On our March Majestic, they still weren't doing UBD due to COVID precautions.

Ours is on the Emerald. Like you, I’m skeptical this will really happen. But it’s listed on our Travel Summary and I contacted Princess on the phone last month and was assured it’s a go. 

That said, I’ll be surprised to see the cart come rolling up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jwattle said:

On our March Majestic, they still weren't doing UBD due to COVID precautions.

I would have thought that a private balcony was the ultimate way to eat safely on a cruise ship!

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 4:50 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Princess doesn't want the waiters hanging around the cabin, plus lately all the ships are short-staffed.

Mystery solved. 

Here is a photo of the document we found on the bed this morning when we returned from breakfast. I called room service to see about confirming the offer. 

Much as I expected would happen, I was told the UBD is not being offered on this cruise. Talk about one “ onboard hand” not knowing what the other “onboard hand” is doing!!🤣

Alas, that cart will not be rolling down the corridor on this sailing. This particular UBD has already been moved twice. Guess we’ll see if the third time is the charm on yet another future cruise. 

F836D333-0579-4C79-BE1D-39891D538B64.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Mystery solved. 

Here is a photo of the document we found on the bed this morning when we returned from breakfast. I called room service to see about confirming the offer. 

Much as I expected would happen, I was told the UBD is not being offered on this cruise. Talk about one “ onboard hand” not knowing what the other “onboard hand” is doing!!🤣

Alas, that cart will not be rolling down the corridor on this sailing. This particular UBD has already been moved twice. Guess we’ll see if the third time is the charm on yet another future cruise. 

F836D333-0579-4C79-BE1D-39891D538B64.jpeg

So, Room service said No?

31 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Correct.  Room service is responsible for executing the UBD. 

Too bad.  I hope they start it again!

Room service seems to be short staffed on every ship now from reports.

Hope your cruise is great!

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, CruiseNYC said:

It has been about a month since last reply.  Just wondering if there are any UBD updates.  Has Princess stopped all Room Service or just UBD?

Thank you.

Room Service is working and was relatively fast on our April Discovery cruise.

• Like 1

I have a question, forgive me if it seems rather silly. Is the UBD only available to certain individuals in certain balcony cabin rooms, or can anyone purchase?  If it's open to all, where do they put you?

thanks

19 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

I have a question, forgive me if it seems rather silly. Is the UBD only available to certain individuals in certain balcony cabin rooms, or can anyone purchase?  If it's open to all, where do they put you?

thanks

More convenient with a balcony (any balcony will do). Theoretically, you could do UBD in a lesser cabin, but where would they put the table? No room at all in insides or OV (except for some HC cabins). Window suites (no balcony) have the room. Having an actual balcony is usually the way it's done.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

More convenient with a balcony (any balcony will do). Theoretically, you could do UBD in a lesser cabin, but where would they put the table? No room at all in insides or OV (except for some HC cabins). Window suites (no balcony) have the room. Having an actual balcony is usually the way it's done.

Yes, and if it’s raining, they would bring it inside or reschedule.  
They have told me that they have not

brought it back, due to covid.  Not wanting the crew member in your cabin that long.  Although, it’s supposed to be outside.  I think now, it’s  more of a crew shortage.  JMO