What's the most amount of dishes you have ordered at MDR?

zhuangcorp

On 4/24/2022 at 7:04 PM, zgscl said:

Order what you want and do not feel guilty at all. If two mains look good try one as a starter. If you want the side from one dish with another main do that too. The crew are very happy to accommodate. 

If you plan to order a lot of dishes the only thing is to do it at your own table (or one with just your party) as it significantly slows down the meal for others if you are sharing a table. On our Alaska cruise this past summer we sat next to a couple that each ordered every single appetizer on the menu and then a main dish and a couple deserts. It was no issue because they had their own table and they were always there after we left. On another cruise we were at a table for 8 and one couple ordered at least 2-3 starters, 3-4 mains & every desert. It was very tedious because everyone had to wait for them to finish each of these courses and our table was always the last in the dining room and we were always scrambling to make the show. 

I think the most we have done is 4-5  or maybe 6 dishes once (with different breakdowns on appetizer or main & desert). HAL portions are small which is great for sampling many different things. This is part of the fun of being on a cruise. I have also done a lighter specialty restaurant and then gone to the MDR to try something on the menu I really wanted. Keep in mind many of the MDR items that change daily can also be found in the lido so always check the menu. 

how hard is it to get our own table if its just us 2?

3 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

It is not difficult.  One may have to wait a bit, but, as a solo, when I have wanted a table for just me, there has been no problem in getting one.  Just be careful as to where you are seated.  Once, I was seated as a solo in a table for breakfast.  I was "out of the mainstream" of service, partially behind a bulkhead and a server's station, and my ability to obtain the desired service was hindered.  When I left the MDR, the Assistant Maitre d' was informed of my dissatisfaction with where she had seated me.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

.....Once, I was seated as a solo in a table for breakfast.  I was "out of the mainstream" of service, partially behind a bulkhead and a server's station, and my ability to obtain the desired service was hindered.  When I left the MDR, the Assistant Maitre d' was informed of my dissatisfaction with where she had seated me.  

On the other hand, some who dine solo like to "hide" and be less conspicuous, so maybe this was a consideration when asking for the solo table.  

Good issue to raise up front - and to communicate to the person selecting the table. Hide me in a corner, when I dine alone. 

7 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

On the other hand, some who dine solo like to "hide" and be less conspicuous, so maybe this was a consideration when asking for the solo table.  

Good issue to raise up front - and to communicate to the person selecting the table. Hide me in a corner, when I dine alone. 

What??  I’ve never once heard that nor have I said it myself.

20 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Hide me in a corner, when I dine alone. 

I wanted another visit of the breakfast pastry tray that morning.  How about another couple cups of coffee?  Waving napkins to attract attention in the MDR would probably be frowned upon unless it is a former Formal/Gala night when such an activity was well accepted.  

Usually two appetizers, one entree and one dessert.  One night I mentioned that all 4 desserts looked good and then I chose one.  The waiter brought all 4 desserts.  Now I didn’t eat all 4 of them, I had a few bites of each.  Another night on lobster night the waiter came by and said he had an extra lobster, did we want it?  Now I’m not about to turn down lobster, so we took it and shared it.  

Actually, you can really get a lot if you space things out. A lot of the appetizers and mains are available in the buffet--in the good old days they'd even offer unlimited lobster on formal nights. Then the other way I've used to try more dishes is to order more MDR items as room service. So I might eat early in the MDR and then order a salad and creme brulee later on, as a late-night snack that doesn't matter if it gets cold. The MDR desserts and appetizers in the buffet are in smaller portions, too, and you can ask for less of a main dish also. I get rolls and bread in the buffet too, and take them to my room with a cheese plate as a late-night snack, and I avoid the MDR breads, because a waiter told me that they dump everything not eaten in a bread basket into the ocean. 

4 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Very easy, just ask. When I travel solo I always want my own table. They ask if I want to sit with other people and I say no thank you and that is the end of it. The only thing is if you go at a peak time there may be a bit of a wait if they don't have an open table for 2, but that is also true if you are willing to dine with others. 

Dh and I have at most gotten a total of 3 appetizers (entree) and 3 entrees (plats) to share for 2 of us. Our shared plat is usually a pasta or risotto. The pumpkin ravioli or the mushroom risotto come to mind. We prefer the smaller portions normative of the European style. We also like to do apero pre dinner which means a drink or two plus some nibbles. As for dessert, me always, dh he likes the cheese plate. 

Edited by fatcat04