susan1957

34 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19

pub-en.png

Download the alternative format
(PDF format, 592 KB, 1 pages)

Organization:Public Health Agency of Canada

Published: 2022-04-01

Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act and Interim Orders under the Canada Shipping Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants.

These measures also apply to those joining vessels from within Canada that will go into international waters.

Before boarding the ship

All travellers must be fully vaccinated with limited exemptions.

Take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test.

Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise.

Contact your cruise line about their boarding policies.

You must have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19.

On arrival to Canada

Have your ArriveCAN receipt and proof of vaccination, and be sure to have the information available for 14 days after your arrival in Canada.

…………….

Given the above I understand I need to complete Arrivecan BEFORE embarking in Vancouver.   The last sentence above seems to imply that I use THAT embarkation receipt when I return to Vancouver from my Alaska round trip.  Or do I need to complete another one within72 hour of my return?

I believe that that receipt is the one you use for arrival. 

1 hour ago, ehogan said:

Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19

pub-en.png

Download the alternative format
(PDF format, 592 KB, 1 pages)

Organization:Public Health Agency of Canada

Published: 2022-04-01

Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act and Interim Orders under the Canada Shipping Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants.

These measures also apply to those joining vessels from within Canada that will go into international waters.

Before boarding the ship

All travellers must be fully vaccinated with limited exemptions.

Take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test.

Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise.

Contact your cruise line about their boarding policies.

You must have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19.

On arrival to Canada

Have your ArriveCAN receipt and proof of vaccination, and be sure to have the information available for 14 days after your arrival in Canada.

…………….

Given the above I understand I need to complete Arrivecan BEFORE embarking in Vancouver.   The last sentence above seems to imply that I use THAT embarkation receipt when I return to Vancouver from my Alaska round trip.  Or do I need to complete another one within72 hour of my return?

I agree that we need to complete arrive can before embarking and then do another new entry when arriving back into Canada 

I used the AP and was able to save and close each page , and the info was there when Iogged in again. So thanks for the tips that were posted. I guess we will need to be sure we use the AP at our last port before Vancouver. I assume we need to do this twice if we are B2B. 

For some reason, the page asking about other country would not accept United States. As this was a dummy, I just ignored and kept going. But what if that happens during my for real submission? Sorry for all the questions, but I need to feel confident I know how to complete this before we leave.

8 minutes ago, gubby said:

For some reason, the page asking about other country would not accept United States. As this was a dummy, I just ignored and kept going. But what if that happens during my for real submission? Sorry for all the questions, but I need to feel confident I know how to complete this before we leave.

It’s asking about countries you’ve visited other than the US, so it’s not going to offer that as an option:

A9BFC032-335F-41E6-9C20-3A8BFB492AB6.jpeg

1 minute ago, gubby said:

Another question. If we are Canucks flying from Toronto to Vancouver we don't fill out Arrive Canada before we embark do we? The previous post did confuse me. 

Yes, you do. Not for the flight, but before you embark. 

Thanks for the answers. It would certainly help my confused state if I read statements correctly and not make assumptions. 

I do not understand filling out the form  before embarking a ship in Canada. We did not arrive in Canada,  we were already here. Showing passports, vaccine proof, test results are all logical,   but not this. What am I failing to see?

1 hour ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

I agree that we need to complete arrive can before embarking and then do another new entry when arriving back into Canada 

As I understand it from the app you have to fill out ArriveCan app within 72 hours of embarkation by  entering country of embarkation, date of embarkation, Port of Entry (first port of arrival in Canada) and date of arrival at port of entry in Canada. No need to fill it out twice.

Maybe someone will correct me if I'm not reading this right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gubby said:

Thanks for the answers. It would certainly help my confused state if I read statements correctly and not make assumptions. 

I do not understand filling out the form  before embarking a ship in Canada. We did not arrive in Canada,  we were already here. Showing passports, vaccine proof, test results are all logical,   but not this. What am I failing to see?

You’re not failing to see anything.  It’s not logical to me, either, but I am guessing there must be a reason they want it.  No idea what that is though.

6 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

As I understand it from the app you have to fill out ArriveCan app within 72 hours of embarkation by  entering country of embarkation, date of embarkation, Port of Entry (first port of arrival in Canada) and date of arrival at port of entry in Canada. No need to fill it out twice.

Maybe someone will correct me if I'm not reading this right.

I read it the same way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gubby said:

@Fouremco speculated in another thread that perhaps GOC wanted to capture vaccination proof directly. It's about the only thing that makes sense.

• Like 3

I went back through the dummy form I filled out yesterday. Earlier I mentioned I was unable to add the states as a visited country. Someone posted a page indicating it stated a country OTHER than USA. I then assumed I had read incorrectly. When I read through my saved pages, it clearly stated country other than CANADA. I was once again not able to enter USA. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are still at dummy stage, but days are winding down. 

1 hour ago, gubby said:

I went back through the dummy form I filled out yesterday. Earlier I mentioned I was unable to add the states as a visited country. Someone posted a page indicating it stated a country OTHER than USA. I then assumed I had read incorrectly. When I read through my saved pages, it clearly stated country other than CANADA. I was once again not able to enter USA. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are still at dummy stage, but days are winding down. 

The other than question depends on the voyage origin. USA is listed as "United States of America". It does appear, after United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.

If you are using the app, (at least the Android app), you have to type U then manually scroll down to the entry. Unlike the online version, simply typing the first few letters doesn't work ☹️

Thanks, Broberts. That is exactly what I tried. Also typed it into the box. It will not show up there. Only thing is it shows in a box below with an x behind it. Clicking here simply deletes it. No way can I get it to stay. So frustrating.

38 minutes ago, gubby said:

Thanks, Broberts. That is exactly what I tried. Also typed it into the box. It will not show up there. Only thing is it shows in a box below with an x behind it. Clicking here simply deletes it. No way can I get it to stay. So frustrating.

That means you have successfully added a country to the list. The x allows you to delete the entry. You can continue to add countries as necessary. Which of course is not usually necessary for Vancouver to Alaska itineraries.

It is working as it should. Once you have the US in the gray capsule, you can proceed to the next step.

Thanks again. I was expecting it to show up in the box and stay there. Once the x appeared, it seems not correct, so confusing me. I guess I have filled out the form and will leave it until required and fill in the correct dates before submitting it. I appreciate all the help and clarification.

Just to be sure........ I submit this form within 72 hours of embarkation from Vancouver and/or again within 72 hours when returning to Vancouver from b2b. This is what is really confusing me. The return submission is clear.... it is the embarkation submission that seems illogical.

1 hour ago, gubby said:

Thanks again. I was expecting it to show up in the box and stay there. Once the x appeared, it seems not correct, so confusing me. I guess I have filled out the form and will leave it until required and fill in the correct dates before submitting it. I appreciate all the help and clarification.

Just to be sure........ I submit this form within 72 hours of embarkation from Vancouver and/or again within 72 hours when returning to Vancouver from b2b. This is what is really confusing me. The return submission is clear.... it is the embarkation submission that seems illogical.

I don't think anyone on CC knows why ArriveCan has to be submitted before boarding in Canada. One speculation is that the GOC is using it to collect vaccination documentation.

I guess why is not important. Just be sure to do it for whatever. So I cruise from Vancouver on May 11, fly on May 10, test on May 9, and submit my ArriveCan between May 8 and May 11. Then I submit another ArriveCan on May 22-24 before we arrive back in Vancouver on May 25. Do I have dates and items correct, or do I need to adjust something?

25 minutes ago, gubby said:

I guess why is not important. Just be sure to do it for whatever. So I cruise from Vancouver on May 11, fly on May 10, test on May 9, and submit my ArriveCan between May 8 and May 11. Then I submit another ArriveCan on May 22-24 before we arrive back in Vancouver on May 25. Do I have dates and items correct, or do I need to adjust something?

I've been looking at the flow diagram at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html. It seems to suggest that the embarkation ArriveCan submission is also used for arrival back in Canada in the case of round trips. 

Presumably cruise lines will inform passengers. Hopefully CC members will report actual experience.

Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

I've been looking at the flow diagram at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html. It seems to suggest that the embarkation ArriveCan submission is also used for arrival back in Canada in the case of round trips. 

I’m not sure that @gubby’s cruise is considered a round trip; since it is a B2B. 

I also am not sure whether our cruise is return or B2B. Tried to reach Princess to check because my confirmation does not specifically state which it is either. We just have been referring to it as B2B. After holding for over 3 1/2 hours, decided to try later.

I don't recall cruising as being this complicated. We started cruising in 2001, and have cruised about 30 times in Europe, Asia, Caribbean, Bermuda, South America, etc. on different lines. I thought of myself as fairly knowledgable, but have hit so many walls and complications, I am not sure I have the energy to keep it up.

However, it seems that Brobarts is saying if our cruise is a round trip  we need to submit one ArriveCan when we embark. Does this mean if it is B2B, we submit a second one within 72 hours of cruise end in Vancouver? Of course, we will be able to get an answer on the ship, but I would prefer to know before we even leave our home. It's too bad that cruise lines are not able to hire back all the people they need. We chose not to use a TA for this cruise, so no option there either.  Once again, my many thanks for all the help and advice.

2 hours ago, gubby said:

However, it seems that Brobarts is saying if our cruise is a round trip  we need to submit one ArriveCan when we embark. Does this mean if it is B2B, we submit a second one within 72 hours of cruise end in Vancouver?

If they are considered 2 different cruises, the second ArriveCAN is within 72 hours of boarding the second cruise, not before cruise end in Vancouver. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If they are considered 2 different cruises, the second ArriveCAN is within 72 hours of boarding the second cruise, not before cruise end in Vancouver. 

The ArriveCan app gives you a one month leeway between entering the date of embarkation and the date of arrival in Canada, so that should be enough time to allow for at least 1 B2B

I just got off the phone with ArriveCan.  We do NOT need to fill out an ArriveCan form before embarking the cruise ship in Vancouver. Because we visit Alaska, we DO need to fill it out within 72 hours before arriving back in Vancouver. This makes sense to me, as I could not understand why we needed to do it when we were already in Canada.

Spouse and I have discussed it and decided that due to all the confusion, and many agents with differing opinions, we WILL do it both before embarking and within 72 hours of arriving back. Both to ensure we can embark, and to avoid a fine. Here's hoping there is no penalty for extra forms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gubby said:

Spouse and I have discussed it and decided that due to all the confusion, and many agents with differing opinions, we WILL do it both before embarking and within 72 hours of arriving back. Both to ensure we can embark, and to avoid a fine. Here's hoping there is no penalty for extra forms.

Good decision! Better safe than sorry until this confusion is sorted out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gubby said:

I just got off the phone with ArriveCan.  We do NOT need to fill out an ArriveCan form before embarking the cruise ship in Vancouver. Because we visit Alaska, we DO need to fill it out within 72 hours before arriving back in Vancouver. This makes sense to me, as I could not understand why we needed to do it when we were already in Canada.

Yes, this…you only need to fill out if you’re flying into Canada to board a cruise or if you board a cruise outside of Canada that visits or ends in Canada. Says the same on the Celebrity app. I think the GofC site is confusing on this point.

I’ll be watching to see what happens on the first cruises to embark from Vancouver this Spring, fortunately we don’t sail until September 

Edited by Barwick Cruiser