Did Canada quietly update testing requirements?

LMKakaThing2

Did Canada quietly update testing requirements in respect to the rapid tests and previous positive test results? Was on https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise?wbdisable=true this morning, and noticed a change to the rapid test.  Rapid tests can now be taken 2 days prior to embarking the ship.  They also note that it doesn't matter what time 2 days prior your test is taken.

Getting tested before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

Yes! I have just read the same ...on NCL and on RCCL👍🏻

I am so happy as that will save us a lot money. The antigen test is just about 29 Euros here in Europe and we can easily arrange it at the airport before our flight.But for the PCR quick test we would have had to pay 158 per person or more🤪

Vancouver and NCL Jewel here we come!😍
I canˋt wait for the summer to come!

This changed on April 1st, but the extra day for Antigen tests got buried in the excitement over the removal of any 'crossing the border' test requirements which changed at the same time so there's no harm in publicizing it, especially on a cruise forum!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martincath said:

This changed on April 1st, but the extra day for Antigen tests got buried in the excitement over the removal of any 'crossing the border' test requirements which changed at the same time so there's no harm in publicizing it, especially on a cruise forum!

So for our Sunday cruise out of Vancouver we can test no earlier than Friday?

Our concern is now after the cruise and to fly back into the US day end of cruise.

Watching how this works for the May cruises am happy all should be known before our September cruise.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Our concern is now after the cruise and to fly back into the US day end of cruise.

Watching how this works for the May cruises am happy all should be known before our September cruise.

Lisa did a lovely job of copying the info with formatting intact, so yes - the specific example given confirms that 'day' in the context of antigen tests remains the same as when it was one day (Molecular requirements, at exactly 72 hours, have not changed at all). A departure that is planned to see you embark any time on a Sunday means you can test any time Friday or Saturday - which should make life easier for folks to do a little Pre-cruise time locally without having to find and pay for a local test before boarding.

The US requirements of course have never been synchronized with Canadian during the whole Covid time frame, so the need to test before flying home might still be in place for you in September - but you will have a whole summer of other cruisers to gather data from about onboard and onshore testing, prices etc. if it does stay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FabFam said:

@Ashland- I heard from a cruise "insider" that the big cruise lines are considering dropping the testing requirement this summer if they can. 🙂

If you believe this "insider," just wait until you hear about the bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Lol I’m worried about that too.  The flight back into the US after getting off in Vancouver.  

I AM one of those May cruisers.  Lol.   Wish me luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MichFish said:

Lol I’m worried about that too.  The flight back into the US after getting off in Vancouver.  

I AM one of those May cruisers.  Lol.   Wish me luck!

21 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Yes! I am a May cruiser too!

Looking forward to hearing your experience....Best of luck to you both !!!

On 4/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, FabFam said:

@Ashland- I heard from a cruise "insider" that the big cruise lines are considering dropping the testing requirement this summer if they can. 🙂

If you are sailing out of a Canadian port you will need to follow Canadian regulations- so far they are still requiring tests prior to boarding. Doesn't matter (in this case) what the cruise regulations are.  

10 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

If you are sailing out of a Canadian port you will need to follow Canadian regulations- so far they are still requiring tests prior to boarding. Doesn't matter (in this case) what the cruise regulations are.  

I understand this and have no problem with testing to board the ship in Vancouver. Will easily do the proctored test the day before we fly into Vancouver day of our cruise. 

My concern is the testing to fly back to the US after our cruise.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I understand this and have no problem with testing to board the ship in Vancouver. Will easily do the proctored test the day before we fly into Vancouver day of our cruise. 

My concern is the testing to fly back to the US after our cruise.

I fly out if Anchorage so think I am okay- nonstop so US to US. And I agree- coming in from Canada is an issue. Some ships have tests available on board and there is the Azova. Com which will do an online monitoring, including home tests. https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Edited by 5waldos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 5waldos said:

I fly out if Anchorage so think I am okay- nonstop so US to US. And I agree- coming in from Canada is an issue. Some ships have tests available on board and there is the Azova. Com which will do an online monitoring, including home tests. https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Thanks....We'll take our eMed tests with us just in case we have to do them ourselves. Just hoping the internet connection will be good.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks....We'll take our eMed tests with us just in case we have to do them ourselves. Just hoping the internet connection will be good.

When do you sail? We still have 3 months so am hoping things might ease up some. Although every time I begin to get hopeful, another variant comes along. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

I am in RCL - I have used their VOOM internet on a previous cruise and it was plenty strong.     I am also taking the eMed tests with me.  My box of 6 arrived yesterday.  Lol.     

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 5waldos said:

When do you sail? We still have 3 months so am hoping things might ease up some. Although every time I begin to get hopeful, another variant comes along. 

We sail on RCI Serenade mid September. I agree...I'm hopeful also...so we'll see by then.

8 hours ago, MichFish said:

I am in RCL - I have used their VOOM internet on a previous cruise and it was plenty strong.     I am also taking the eMed tests with me.  My box of 6 arrived yesterday.  Lol.     

We always have the Voom Surf-n-Stream...but the strength/connection can vary depending on several conditions. Most recently last week we were on Explorer in the caribbean and the ship lost internet for a whole day/night. So you never know. :classic_wink:

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

We always have the Voom Surf-n-Stream...but the strength/connection can vary depending on several conditions. Most recently last week we were on Explorer in the caribbean and the ship lost internet for a whole day/night. So you never know. :classic_wink:

Here is hoping my last experienced hold up!     As a back up - I’ll have an international plan on my iPad.    Once we get close to Vancouver - I should be able to pick up a signal.  

On 4/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, Ashland said:

That's what we plan to do but i am also worried about the internet.  The alternative would be to get up early on disembarkation day and use our cellular devices in port, but even that worries me.