Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

1 hour ago, canderson said:

That's clearly a different policy on RC

It’s written as Royal Caribbean group which includes Celebrity. There appears to be absolutely no consistent policy and is being made up as ships sail along. I’m not sure who is decision making. 

22 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

It’s written as Royal Caribbean group which includes Celebrity. There appears to be absolutely no consistent policy and is being made up as ships sail along. I’m not sure who is decision making. 

You're still better off with the Celebrity policy as currently practiced the way that written one reads.  AFAIK, Royal isn't moving contact traces to solo cabins, either, so this particular *.pdf is moot.

The one you posted also dates back to September 2020, long before the Celebrity restart in June 2021.  Likely it's no longer even current.  MANY obsolete *.pdf files from the two lines are out there in cyberspace somewhere, sometimes even on their own servers, and updated versions often exist.

Anyone know of a link to anything a bit more current?

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the OP’s experience is that, although a Suite guest, apparently you cease to be one if quarantined.  So not only do you lose the accommodations you paid for, the extra Retreat Staff also desert you.  You become a totally different class of passenger with, so far it seems, substandard treatment.

During my March isolation there was plenty of attention from the Retreat staff. Phone calls usually twice daily. (They seemed a tad disappointed I wasn’t more demanding. “Wouldn’t you like a specialty coffee?”) I received a lovely flower arrangement and a Get Well card signed by the Retreat concierges and the Luminae staff. They did know me from the first leg of my BTB.🤔

Despite risking being isolated in an OV instead of a balcony, I’m still going to cruise. I’m fine now, but who knows when something (health or otherwise) will prevent me from ever cruising again?  I travel solo, so I have only myself to depend on. Won’t be considering “far away” cruises anytime soon. Too bad since I love TAs out of Barcelona.

I have no idea where I caught covid. Don’t recall being near anyone coughing or sneezing, even briefly. Must have been someone asymptomatic and unaware they were contagious. I’ll just do my best and continue being careful. Packing plenty of masks. Don’t care if I get a funny suntan.

Counting down to January 2023 on Silhouette.😎

And David, again thank you so much!

• Like 6

I disembarked the Celebrity Silhouette on 21 April 2022 at Southampton after the transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale. I developed symptoms on 23 April and tested covid positive on the 24 April. I suppose I was lucky not to be ill during the cruise, but I am fully vaccinated with boosters and, 

unlike the majority of passengers, consistently wore a mask in all indoor public areas.  The immigration/passport check at the end of the cruise, just before leaving the ship, was held in a very small corridor, with a long non-physically distanced queue.  Nothing will convince me now that cruising is safe. 

Hubby and myself also disembarked in Southampton on 21st april after a lovely cruise, we started to feel unwell that night. We were tested on 23rd April and results came back positive 😞  we are so grateful not to have been unwell on the cruise as we have felt terrible all weekend and just beginning to feel a bit more human today.

We are also fully vaxed with boosters. The line at the end of the cruise was unbelievable! 😞 

As much as I love cruising i'm not in a rush to book the next one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, tonyrwhite said:

Just wanted to thank jet blue for his thread, I am currently on the Silhouette in isolation with covid.

I am learning a great deal with regards to policy.

Day 2 of isolation and I feel better within myself

Not good that you are not feeling well and in isolation. I am presuming you had to move cabins down to Deck 3, are you in an inside cabin or one with a window?

Also, on another board there is talk of quite a few staff off, are they making regular announcements to the numbers of those with Covid?

6 minutes ago, jary8 said:

Not good that you are not feeling well and in isolation. I am presuming you had to move cabins down to Deck 3, are you in an inside cabin or one with a window?

Also, on another board there is talk of quite a few staff off, are they making regular announcements to the numbers of those with Covid?

I remain in my original cabin on deck 10 , they are not disclosing numbers now but I hear its quite substantial 

• Thanks 5

10 hours ago, tonyrwhite said:

Just wanted to thank jet blue for his thread, I am currently on the Silhouette in isolation with covid.

I am learning a great deal with regards to policy.

Day 2 of isolation and I feel better within myself

So sorry you caught covid. But I’m glad you’re in your own cabin. Don’t hesitate to ask Guest Services for anything. And if your meal isn’t good call Room Service right away to get it remedied.

I too appreciate all the valuable information provided by jet blue. Hopefully won’t be needing it in January.

6 hours ago, tonyrwhite said:

I remain in my original cabin on deck 10 , they are not disclosing numbers now but I hear its quite substantial 

So sorry you got sick but happy to hear you had a better experience than I did. I wonder if all the rooms on deck 3 filled up with covid positive passengers so they had no where else to move you.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Interesting that the policy changed completely from the TA protocol of moving positive passengers to Deck 3 to Tonyrwhite being isolated in his own cabin!  

Or is it that the 68 cabins on Deck 3 are full up with Covid cases. This is worrying especially if they are now not stating how many live cases there are onboard. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 5:50 AM, Silversailor7 said:

I disembarked the Celebrity Silhouette on 21 April 2022 at Southampton after the transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale. I developed symptoms on 23 April and tested covid positive on the 24 April. I suppose I was lucky not to be ill during the cruise, but I am fully vaccinated with boosters and, 

unlike the majority of passengers, consistently wore a mask in all indoor public areas.  The immigration/passport check at the end of the cruise, just before leaving the ship, was held in a very small corridor, with a long non-physically distanced queue.  Nothing will convince me now that cruising is safe. 

It sounds like it wasn't the cruise so much as the immigration/passport check. You might want to amend it to "cruising is safe, but coming back ashore afterwards might be hazardous". 🙂

5 hours ago, jary8 said:

Or is it that the 68 cabins on Deck 3 are full up with Covid cases. This is worrying especially if they are now not stating how many live cases there are onboard. 

I emailed Ms Perloff on Monday and received a phone call from her office yesterday evening (UK time ) in which they confirmed :

1) Fleetwide the policy is that all passengers with confirmed covid will be isolated on Deck 3, the nearest deck to the medical facilities. They will look at making this clearer on the website.

2) that accurate numbers of passengers and crew with covid should be announced. Using phrases like less than 1% or more than 1 % is pointless. They will be contacting the appropriate department to ensure that there is this consistency.

Whilst this might not be the answers everyone wanted at least it is clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Just now, the penguins said:

I emailed Ms Perloff on Monday and received a phone call from her office yesterday evening (UK time ) in which they confirmed :

1) Fleetwide the policy is that all passengers with confirmed covid will be isolated on Deck 3, the nearest deck to the medical facilities. They will look at making this clearer on the website.

2) that accurate numbers of passengers and crew with covid should be announced. Using phrases like less than 1% or more than 1 % is pointless. They will be contacting the appropriate department to ensure that there is this consistency.

Whilst this might not be the answers everyone wanted at least it is clear.

Thanks for sharing. Covering the second point first, there was a point to the 1% number early in the pandemic when multiple Caribbean ports used that as the cutoff point for whether to allow cruise ships to dock. I don't know if any still do, so they might as well use actual numbers. I wonder how often they will announce them to the passengers. Would they be forthcoming enough to announce them every day, including embarkation day? ("Good afternoon. We have 12 crew members on board with COVID, but don't worry... Have a great cruise!")

About putting passengers on deck 3... Again, that would have made more sense early in the pandemic when COVID-19 symptoms were much more often severe and prompt attention was more essential. These days those infected mostly have mild symptoms and need little beyond OTC drugs. Since they have to isolate away from other passengers and don't get any time outside the cabin, I would think the argument for a balcony would be strong.

• Like 5

On 4/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, Silversailor7 said:

The immigration/passport check at the end of the cruise, just before leaving the ship, was held in a very small corridor, with a long non-physically distanced queue.  Nothing will convince me now that cruising is safe. 

I'm sorry that you are not well and tested positive for covid but your experience of disembarkation on 21 Apr 22 varies somewhat from mine.

The Immigration check was actually held in the theatre, portside on Deck 5, in the open area before the seats start.  I think there were 4 Border Force agents, well spread out, at least 6 feet apart, absolutely no problem with social distancing whilst doing the passport check.

The queue was along by the shops on Deck 5 starboard, into the theatre, turn left and across to where the agents were portside.  That last very short bit, behind the theatre lighting/control booth, was the only "very small corridor" in the whole process.  Other than when your Seapass was checked at the entrance to the theatre and then when being directed to a BF agent, the queue was not managed by crew to ensure social distancing, but nor was anything else on that cruise so why would it be?  While I was in the queue I did my own social distancing by keeping space between me and the people in front of me, and it certainly didn't seem as if people were crowded.  In fact the queue looked as if it would take longer than it did, probably because people were giving one another more space.

Edited by Tigrou
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing. Covering the second point first, there was a point to the 1% number early in the pandemic when multiple Caribbean ports used that as the cutoff point for whether to allow cruise ships to dock. I don't know if any still do, so they might as well use actual numbers. I wonder how often they will announce them to the passengers. Would they be forthcoming enough to announce them every day, including embarkation day? ("Good afternoon. We have 12 crew members on board with COVID, but don't worry... Have a great cruise!")

About putting passengers on deck 3... Again, that would have made more sense early in the pandemic when COVID-19 symptoms were much more often severe and prompt attention was more essential. These days those infected mostly have mild symptoms and need little beyond OTC drugs. Since they have to isolate away from other passengers and don't get any time outside the cabin, I would think the argument for a balcony would be strong.

Agree that isolation should be in a balcony cabin. With my mild symptoms, the doctor checked on me only once a day. Guest Services and a Retreat concierge called me every day to ask how I was feeling. No reason at all to be close to Medical.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jetblue said:

So sorry you got sick but happy to hear you had a better experience than I did. I wonder if all the rooms on deck 3 filled up with covid positive passengers so they had no where else to move you.

Or did they sell the ship almost to capacity and therefore had no space to move them to? A positive sign though if we start to see ships use isolation in passengers' original cabins.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Or did they sell the ship almost to capacity and therefore had no space to move them to? A positive sign though if we start to see ships use isolation in passengers' original cabins.

Pure speculation on my part, but if you read Jim's live from thread, he notes that the ship is sailing much closer to full than his first leg AND there are a considerable number of positive cases. It's very possible that the combination of the two have caused Silhouette to run out of isolation cabins.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I have simply reported what Celebrity has told me is it's official policy. If you or anyone else would like further clarification I would suggest you email Celebrity direct: llutoff-perlo@celebritycruises.com

I kept my email short and asked for confirmation on specific items of policy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. But if you test positive while on your cruise get as much completed as you can. If you have onboard prepaid charges or thermal spa passes, get them to credit your partial refunds you are due to the onboard account. Also get the copies of the covid tests they administered. I am currently trying to get my partial refund and they want this information. They did not respond to my email so I waited on hold today. They also did not send me any information on how to proceed. It's my belief that it's up to the passengers to be as proactive as possible to get the promised refunds after you are off the boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, hooskydo said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. But if you test positive while on your cruise get as much completed as you can. If you have onboard prepaid charges or thermal spa passes, get them to credit your partial refunds you are due to the onboard account. Also get the copies of the covid tests they administered. I am currently trying to get my partial refund and they want this information. They did not respond to my email so I waited on hold today. They also did not send me any information on how to proceed. It's my belief that it's up to the passengers to be as proactive as possible to get the promised refunds after you are off the boat.

Thanks for this valuable piece of information. In the past few days I have spent  8 hours trying to get through to customer services, on another issue. Apparently the reason for the long queues is due to  some ships being taken out of service in the Far East. Does anyone know if the refund is in cash or only in FCC with an expiry on it?

9 hours ago, RichYak said:

Pure speculation on my part, but if you read Jim's live from thread, he notes that the ship is sailing much closer to full than his first leg AND there are a considerable number of positive cases. It's very possible that the combination of the two have caused Silhouette to run out of isolation cabins.

My DH phoned celebrity yesterday to ask about capacity and the agent said they are now selling to capacity. Not sure if this was just for UK sailings or all

I also presume they are still keeping some cabins for quarantine?

Edited by sgmn