Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

2 hours ago, carolyn22 said:

I guess I’ll be avoiding Celebrity for a good while. No way do I want to potentially have to isolate in an OV cabin for days on end and then get what sounds to be substandard service and communications after the first few days. And then have to wrangle with them to get the right amount of refund. 

I guess don’t understand their logic of isolating positive customers on deck 3 to be closer to the medical facilities, but they are perfectly fine with isolating crew members on deck 6. Are these onboarding crew members who have tested negative upon embarkation who will just be there until they get thru some sort of waiting period? Or are these crew members who have tested positive?  

Yes the crew are all negative and are subject to additional quarantining before they can start work. At the start of each contract they are also tested before leaving home, quarantined again before flying to the ship  - minimum 2 lots of tests and 2 lots of quarantining. Once cleared to work for the vast majority it is shared rooms less than half the size of a standard inside, no windows, and fully masked (often double masked ) throughout their working time. Many are from Ukraine. Despite all this they serve us with smile.

Yes Celebrity Management has a lot to answer for and they certainly need to be much more open in how they will treat passengers who test positive so we can all make informed decisions. Jet Blu and others affected please send your reports to the Chief Exec. and equally importantly post her response in full.

We cruise on 7 May.

• Like 1

David & Steven, it's good to hear that you are safely home. Thank you for posting about your experience (both on CC and FB), it will have helped many of us make a more accurately informed decision about future cruises with Celebrity.

Disembarkation appears to have been a complete mess all round.  When they started calling numbers they were consistently about 20 minutes later than the listed schedule but after calling number 25 there were no more announcements.  I thought I'd missed them because of where I was sitting.  Mine was 41, due 0815-0830, so at 0830 I asked the people at the end of the Immigration line what number was the latest called and they didn't know, they said nothing since 25 so they'd waited until their time slot and joined the line.  Others around us all said the same.  When I got to the baggage hall, bags for all numbers (highest was 47) were waiting and looked to have been there some time, no other bags were being brought in.

You are to be commended for having reported sick.  I suspect many did not.

I fully agree that you should have been quarantined in a balcony cabin and that the blame lies with the ship's management.  Whatever the true reason for blocking Deck 6, it was clearly to benefit the management/crew despite being to the detriment of quarantined passengers.  As one of those moved (without the courtesy of any warning or input) from a Deck 6 cabin, I asked the Hotel Director why this had been done, when the decision was made and why it hadn't been communicated.  However, the man is as skilled as any politician at avoiding questions and I didn't get answers to any of mine.  Instead I received one of those annoying apologies which isn't an apology, not "we are sorry that we failed" but "we are sorry that you feel this way".  Your statement about management's lack of caring and empathy is absolutely spot-on.  The smiley, we'll do anything for you, we want you to be happy, facade is just that - a facade.  Unfortunately with your situation they had the ideal 'too difficult box' to put it in, a Deck 3 cabin! 

As others have suggested, do contact Lisa Lutoff-Perlo even if with just a copy of your post.  Also make sure you get your refund rather than FCC.  But most importantly, stay safe and well.  Thank you again for sharing your experiences. 

• Like 4

David and Steven, it must feel amazing to finally be home and out of that terrible situation. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line and we are elite plus. We love the longer cruises but since the start up we will not book anything over seven days as this is my biggest fear as I am claustrophobic. Unfortunately with the way they are treating the quarantine situation I am sure  people will not be coming forward. They really need to change the way they quarantine passengers. I also agree with the email to Lisa and push for your money back and not FCC. Stay well! Wanda 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davidc5412 said:

Good to hear you are both home

I have been looking over many cruise websites to see if current isolation policies are explained. Both celebrity and rcl now state that if positive you will be moved to isolation closer to medical facilities. I think but am not sure this is a recent change. As most medical facilities are on lower decks it seems clear current policy will be in non balcony rooms so no prospect of fresh air during isolation .

I certainly will not be cruising so long as they have this policy in place. 
happy to take the risk of getting Covid and having to isolate but not if that means being on deck 3

HAL isolates in balcony cabins, and while HAL has not been highon my cruiseline list they have moved up quite a bit because of their far better treatment of their Covid cases.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@jetblueThank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you're back in the US. I'm sorry you had to go through all of this. Your story has given me, among many others, food for thought. If you and your husband are still feeling symptoms, I hope they subside soon. In any case, best wishes and I hope you get what you're entitled to in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gracebest said:

I commend you for coming forward to protect others!  However, if Celebrity does not change their policies less people will be inclined to turn themselves in rather than trying  to hide out.  No one should be subjected to the treatment or lack of treatment you received.  Fresh air would help so much in cases such as yours.  I don’t know how anyone can think it is acceptable to not have access to fresh air that could easily be achieved in balcony cabins - especially when the ship was only half full.  
We will not cruise with Celebrity again until there is proof of better treatment of quarantined passengers.  I understand that Covid is here to stay and perhaps it is time to allow people to quarantine in their own cabins.  One of the reasons I’ve heard for moving covid positive people was to have them all together to make it easier to provide care for them,  But this obviously didn’t work out in JetBlue’s case.  I hope Celebrity steps up and reaches out to him.

I MO.....there's no point in moving covid patients to deck 3, a location 'closer to med facilities', when the med personnel are not even visiting the patient from what I'm reading here and in other threads.  This seems to be more of a dining delivery situation where all patients are more easily accessible vs crew staff going from deck to deck, cabin to cabin.  We also are reconsidering our Nov. X cruise.  Possibility of contracting covid is still going to be a real possibility, but being removed from our cabin, ALONE (if only one of us comes down with it) and sick, is pushing the envelope of protocol acceptance tooooo far.

Haven't heard where patients are being located on the Edge, or E class ships.  Does anyone know?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

David, thanks for keeping us all updated on your situation. This has been an excellent although sobering accounting of what to expect on a cruise ship if quarantined.

Celebrity's handling of guests by placing them in cabins without fresh air and no opportunity for outside public deck times has been egregious.

Gracie (and others?) have mentioned HAL's balcony cabins for quarantine. I'm not impressed with the way HAL is handling it either. Going from a larger suite to a tiny balcony cabin doesn't appeal- I'd rather take a land based trip. Also, let's not forget that HAL's parent company is Carnival- their recent handling of the Covid situation on the Ruby Princess was scary.

One thing I want to point out is that most of us seem to be in denial about the risks of indoor eating and drinking in public areas. There's speculation about where transmission occurred- it seems indoor dining is a likely spot. In June 2021, the Delta variant was demonstrated to be transmitted in fleeting (seconds, not minutes) encounters in an indoor mall in Australia that was captured on CCTV footage.

The only way we will know actual transmission rates aboard cruise ships is if everyone tests on their 5th day after disembarking. But I also expect a truthful, daily accounting while onboard.

Interesting, isn’t it, that quarantine on the ship is now Celebrity’s new policy for the COVID Assistance Plan. People sailing from the US have an option until May 17, but  the plan is in effect through November for cruises from EU.

People who have experienced quarantine on the ship can’t wait to get off. I’m curious to see how it works when people have to extend that before onward travel - which will be at their own expense.

I wonder how many cabins will be set aside for quarantine on all the cruise lines. Won't summer sailings already be at capacity? I don't think any cruise line is promising in writing a certain type of cabin for quarantine.

I like the CDC color coding for ships- is there a European version of this? I'd like to know how to gauge the risk on Summer 2022 European sailings.

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

Interesting, isn’t it, that quarantine on the ship is now Celebrity’s new policy for the COVID Assistance Plan. People sailing from the US have an option until May 17, but  the plan is in effect through November for cruises from EU.

Hadn't spotted the November date for Europe.  Have a westbound TA planned out of Barcelona for 31 October.  Wonder what the policy would be for that cruise?

David and Steven,

I am so glad you have made it back home safely, and I hope you aren't feeling any effects from covid.  You did a great service by sharing your experiences here, and I join others in suggesting that you email Lisa Lutoff-Perlo's office. 

Stay safe and well, and happy future travels. 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hadn't spotted the November date for Europe.  Have a westbound TA planned out of Barcelona for 31 October.  Wonder what the policy would be for that cruise?

We have a westbound TA on the Silhouette out of Southampton in October.  The new policy announced yesterday doesn't specifically address the TAs; by its language they are included in the policy ("cruises scheduled to sail between the Effective Date [April 22, 2022] and November 30, 2022, inclusive").   I was glad to see the extension of the refund policies for those testing positive, either just before embarkation or onboard.

Is there something more specific policy-wise you were thinking about? 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

There was an update yesterday. Cruises from the EU between May 1 and November 30 will allow passengers who test positive during the cruise to remain on board to complete any required quarantine. Since you are westbound, I suppose you’d disembark in the US and abide by whatever rules are in place at the time. If any further quarantine is required, it would be at your expense. It seems Celebrity is through with paying for quarantine or return transportation; however, there is some assistance for those who book air through them.

15 hours ago, jetblue said:

Hello from Florida! We finally made it home today after getting negative covid tests. What an adventure, a vacation to literally end all vacations. The thought of traveling sickens me right now which is not good because I have to travel for work on Monday. ...

Glad you made it back home.  Just one last question, where did you get you Covid tests to travel back to the US?  Did Celebrity do the testing for you?

@Babr thanks for that update.  In reading this whole thread, where a passenger is experiencing exactly what gives most of us trepidation, it is clear to me, personally, that what most of us want is to be able to exert control our vacations and our choices.  That desire is at war with the nature of this miserable Covid because it changes, evolves, lies low and then strikes back again.  So the traveling public remains at the mercy of not just the illness but also the knee jerk reactions of the CDC, the cruise lines, and any and all countries visited.  What gives me angst, and probably everyone else, is that what we know now is not what may be pertinent when we attempt to travel in the future.

We have a TA from Barcelona in November and it is anyone’s guess what will be required or allowed seven months from now.  The experience of this gracious poster who shared this awful experience with us, and Celebrity’s stance of perhaps making the experience just as awful as it could possibly be, when there were absolutely options and personal interactions that could have improved what was already a bad experience really gives me pause.

I’m not sure how this series of missed opportunities by Celebrity does anything to bolster the confidence of even the most determined cruiser, let alone those who are wavering.  I’m so sorry this is what you experienced.

Joanie

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Babr thanks for that update.  In reading this whole thread, where a passenger is experiencing exactly what gives most of us trepidation, it is clear to me, personally, that what most of us want is to be able to exert control our vacations and our choices.  That desire is at war with the nature of this miserable Covid because it changes, evolves, lies low and then strikes back again.  So the traveling public remains at the mercy of not just the illness but also the knee jerk reactions of the CDC, the cruise lines, and any and all countries visited.  What gives me angst, and probably everyone else, is that what we know now is not what may be pertinent when we attempt to travel in the future.

We have a TA from Barcelona in November and it is anyone’s guess what will be required or allowed seven months from now.  The experience of this gracious poster who shared this awful experience with us, and Celebrity’s stance of perhaps making the experience just as awful as it could possibly be, when there were absolutely options and personal interactions that could have improved what was already a bad experience really gives me pause.

I’m not sure how this series of missed opportunities by Celebrity does anything to bolster the confidence of even the most determined cruiser, let alone those who are wavering.  I’m so sorry this is what you experienced.

Joanie

Lots of pitfalls remain in trying to plan a trip. Most seemed to be focused on the refund provision, but the fact remains that the other expenses now fall to the passenger. One may get a refund for testing positive at embarkation, but he still needs a negative test to fly home. That may require a delay of a few days and a change in airline tickets.  If the positive test comes during the cruise, the choice is to complete quarantine on board or disembark to quarantine at one’s own expense.

I don’t think people realize yet that the refund policy solves only part of the problem and does not negate the need for travel insurance, as much as some resist the idea.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We have a westbound TA on the Silhouette out of Southampton in October.  The new policy announced yesterday doesn't specifically address the TAs; by its language they are included in the policy ("cruises scheduled to sail between the Effective Date [April 22, 2022] and November 30, 2022, inclusive").   I was glad to see the extension of the refund policies for those testing positive, either just before embarkation or onboard.

Is there something more specific policy-wise you were thinking about? 

No, just that from a previous post, it seemed that this was specific to EU cruises, and I was wondering if that included a TA that started in the EU.

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

No, just that from a previous post, it seemed that this was specific to EU cruises, and I was wondering if that included a TA that started in the EU.

The language is “sails from.”  I guessing the policy applies.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the OP’s experience is that, although a Suite guest, apparently you cease to be one if quarantined.  So not only do you lose the accommodations you paid for, the extra Retreat Staff also desert you.  You become a totally different class of passenger with, so far it seems, substandard treatment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

it appears Celebrity are not following their own RC guidelines when it comes to isolation of passengers. You can’t say there weren’t enough balcony cabins free to isolate passengers. 

https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Healthy-Sail-Panel_Full-Recommendations_9.21.20_FINAL.pdf

Figure 2. Isolation/Quarantine Zones
Healthy individuals who have had no contact with individuals with a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection
N/A
*Quarantine during full ship quarantine
Exposed (as defined earlier) to individuals with a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection
Quarantine
Individuals who have tested positive for SARS- CoV-2 or who are experiencing symptoms consistent with a SARS- CoV-2 infection
Isolation
      iii.

Individuals who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 or individuals who are experiencing symptoms consistent with a SARS-CoV-2 infection will be isolated in designated isolation cabins within close proximity to the medical ward. A set of protocols apply to isolation including periodic health checks, cleaning, and meal delivery.
Individuals who were exposed to an individual with a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection will be quarantined in a single occupancy cabin with a private bathroom (unless quarantining with family members or close contacts with the same exposure history), no interconnection with an adjoining room, door closed, and preferably with a balcony.

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, flowery said:

Gracie (and others?) have mentioned HAL's balcony cabins for quarantine. I'm not impressed with the way HAL is handling it either. 

Maybe true but a helluva  lot better than no balcony.  When our friends were quarantined on Zuiderdam they had 2 balcony rooms, one for her and one for her husband next to each other.  I lot better than what Jetblue and his husband went through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Individuals who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 or individuals who are experiencing symptoms consistent with a SARS-CoV-2 infection will be isolated in designated isolation cabins within close proximity to the medical ward. A set of protocols apply to isolation including periodic health checks, cleaning, and meal delivery.
Individuals who were exposed to an individual with a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection will be quarantined in a single occupancy cabin with a private bathroom (unless quarantining with family members or close contacts with the same exposure history), no interconnection with an adjoining room, door closed, and preferably with a balcony.

That's clearly a different policy on RC, and is actually worse than the X policy.  This latter part addresses what amounts to a contact trace, not a positive case. Note the word "exposed".   At present, traveling companions or others caught up in a contact trace on X quarantine in their own cabins for two days, not some other "single occupancy room".

That Health Sail Panel report was a recommendation by the "independent" panel which helped guide policy.  It was published a long time before the restart and even prior to vaccines.   I don't think you can point to it for any current guidance.

• Like 1

Gracie- you are right- even a tiny balcony cabin on HAL is preferable to no balcony. But if the ships are full this summer will that be guaranteed?

Someone needs to create a graph comparing quarantines on the various cruise lines. I've read on Oceania you can remain in your own cabin. On Viking, they have daily PCR testing but if you test positive you are dumped at the nearest port in a designated budget hotel and not allowed to leave your room (?)

• Thanks 1