How many cruise credits should we get for B2B?

Eloise4Ever

We recently completed 17 days on Riviera comprised of a 10 night followed by a 7 night sailing. We had 1 booking number and the cruise ID had an A at the end of it. I would be grateful if experienced O cruisers could tell me how many loyalty cruise credits we should receive. Although we only had one booking number, Oceania treated each leg separately in a number of ways. For example, we were only able to make 4 specialty restaurant reservations for the first 10 days and 4 in the second leg, rather than 8 across the 17 days. We also had to upgrade our beverage package at the start of each leg. Based on that I was hoping for 2 credits.

24 minutes ago, Eloise4Ever said:
We recently completed 17 days on Riviera comprised of a 10 night followed by a 7 night sailing. We had 1 booking number and the cruise ID had an A at the end of it. I would be grateful if experienced O cruisers could tell me how many loyalty cruise credits we should receive. Although we only had one booking number, Oceania treated each leg separately in a number of ways. For example, we were only able to make 4 specialty restaurant reservations for the first 10 days and 4 in the second leg, rather than 8 across the 17 days. We also had to upgrade our beverage package at the start of each leg. Based on that I was hoping for 2 credits.

You get 1 cruise credit for up to 24 day cruise

If you had 1 booking number

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceania-club-benefits

There is  another discussion here on how Oceania is rolling together  some B2B's  if it is also offered as a Grand Voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Sounds like you had an “extended journey” booking (“A” at the end of the “cruise ID” on your O invoice- not to be confused with your “booking number.”

There are pluses and minuses to “extended journeys.” The discounted price can be significant when compared to the total of the included segments. But, the cruise credits and O Club perks are based on the total days. So, while you’d get one credit for each segment booked individually, the published “extended journey” with a single booking number and less than 25 days only gets one credit (also see attached chart). And the higher O Club level you are, this can start to add up (e.g., Platinum gets $500 SBC per cruise).

In any case, this is also a moot point. While some folks report booking consecutive segments individually (based on the math of discount vs perks), the official O policy is that you cannot book consecutive cruises individually. They are either already published as “extended journeys” or, if not, are supposed to be booked as a “custom cruise,” which gets O Club perks per segment but only a 5% price break. But, this too is moot since you officially cannot have a choice.

Finally, on a related matter: I have (for several years) tried to remind folks that the term Grand Voyage on the O website was a forgotten artifact that suggested a different (older) product than what you find in that web category (i.e., “extended journeys” - listed separately in many of the print brochures).

But, now, true Grand Voyages are back (at least, with 3+ segments totaling more than approx. 2 months) and, as in the past, with the inclusion of additional perks).

A80BB3E3-BBB7-4065-8A3B-4B1D972F268A.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

...While some folks report booking consecutive segments individually (based on the math of discount vs perks), the official O policy is that you cannot book consecutive cruises individually. They are either already published as “extended journeys” or, if not, are supposed to be booked as a “custom cruise,” which gets O Club perks per segment but only a 5% price break. But, this too is moot since you officially cannot have a choice.

Thank you for this detailed summary Flatbush, it's very helpful and informative.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like you had an “extended journey” booking (“A” at the end of the “cruise ID” on your O invoice- not to be confused with your “booking number.” ,,, In any case, this is also a moot point. While some folks report booking consecutive segments individually (based on the math of discount vs perks), the official O policy is that you cannot book consecutive cruises individually. They are either already published as “extended journeys” or, if not, are supposed to be booked as a “custom cruise,” which gets O Club perks per segment but only a 5% price break. But, this too is moot since you officially cannot have a choice. ...

What if you booked two cruises back to back but on separate dates with different cabins? So I have two different booking numbers and two different Cruise ID numbers. None with an A. In two different cabins (an F and then a C). Both 10 day cruises.

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

What if you booked two cruises back to back but on separate dates with different cabins? So I have two different booking numbers and two different Cruise ID numbers. None with an A. In two different cabins (an F and then a C). Both 10 day cruises.

First, check the O web to see if your two individual consecutive segments are also shown as a combined cruise with a different name than either of the segments. If so, compare the price of that “extended journey” to the total of your two booked cruises. If the original bookings weren’t made too long ago, that extended journey price should be significantly lower than the total of the two shorter cruises.

If they are not published as an “extended journey,” you can still combine them as a “custom cruise” which gets you a 5% discount on their total fare cost. In this case, you’d also get double the O perks of an equivalent “extended journey.” But, you’d still only get the cruise credits for a cruise of the total number of days.

As aforementioned in my earlier post, any comparison of booking one (extended) vs the other (custom) is usually moot because, if it is advertised as an “extended journey,” that’s how it SHOULD be booked (or rebooked) by your TA. (not all TAs know this). You are not supposed to get a choice of “extended” vs “custom” vs “individual” cruises.

That said, while “extended journeys” have the best fare, “custom cruises” have the best (mostly doubled) O Club SBC perks. And the higher level O Club you are (e.g., platinum), the more it comes into play. But, doublecheck the cruise credit values too since there are some instances where long cruises are better for cruise credits that separate 

So one question you have to ask is what’s more important for THIS cruise? Fare discounts? O Club perks, etc.. But remember too that you don’t really have a choice because you can’t change an “extended journey” into a “custom cruise” or vice versa.

And, what I am unsure of is whether a cabin change necessity between segments (due to availability) prohibits doing either the extended journey OR the custom cruise (I’d check with both O direct and with your TA). Of course, if there’s good availability, you could just rebook (if the math supports it).

Do the research! (including how the different cabin differences may limit your ability to get a better deal). And don’t forget there can be some flexibility with O.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, you’d still only get the cruise credits for a cruise of the total number of days.

Not always. Not going to argue the point with you, but as you say there are always exceptions and flexibility. It's all case by case and what your TA can make happen. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

First, check the O web to see if your two individual consecutive segments are also shown as a combined cruise with a different name than either of the segments. If so, compare the price of that “extended journey” to the total of your two booked cruises. If the original bookings weren’t made too long ago, that extended journey price should be significantly lower than the total of the two shorter cruises. If they are not published as an “extended journey,” you can still combine them as a “custom cruise” which gets you a 5% discount on their total fare cost. In this case, you’d also get double the O perks of an equivalent “extended journey.” But, you’d still only get the cruise credits for a cruise of the total number of days.

Not seeing anything on O about these two being shown as a combined cruise. I booked the 2nd part, the 2nd 10 days, when I saw it was on the recent sale for O club members. The first 10 day cruise not listed in the sale. So I don't think it is going to get any less expensive, since it was already a sale price.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 5% discount offered for B2B sailings for each segment?

We just booked 2 cruises that are B2B with 2 booking numbers.  Want to see if we get 5% off both or just 1.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Jack1 said:

We just booked 2 cruises that are B2B with 2 booking numbers.  Want to see if we get 5% off both or just 1.

Thank you

I think it used to be both plus if you use O air  it can be 1/2  of each cruise  for the credit

Not sure now as O will sometime roll the B2B into a GV

The first sailing is actually 2 shorter cruises combined to make a longer one (35) days.  1 booking # for this.

The second cruise is same ship and immediately follows the 35 day cruise.  It has a separate booking #.

So 49 days total. Did not take air.

Just checking to see if we get 5% for both sailings.

4 minutes ago, Jack1 said:

Thank you

What you describe is a highly unusual practice most often seen with TAs who may not understand O policies. 
The “official” policy for O’s multi-segment cruises covers two basic types of bookings usually consisting of 2-3 segments totaling <2 months (published “extended journeys” and unpublished “custom cruises” [where there is no “extended journey” available]) and the recently reintroduced, published “grand voyages” consisting of 3+ segments covering >2 months.  
Published “extended journeys” and “grand voyages” have a single booking number with a significantly discounted price exceeding 5%. Most of the associated perks are based on the total cruise (e.g., O Club benefits, cruise credits). Grand voyages have a few extras like laundry et al.

“Custom cruises” (unpublished) are assembled segments which also have a single booking number. They net only an approx. 5% discount on the total cost of the included segments. But the O Club benefits, cruise credits, etc are based on each included segment. 
You can do the math on the value of an “extended journey” vs a “custom cruise” bottom line cost. But, the “official” policy is that you don’t have a choice. Your multi-segment booking is one or the other based solely on published or not published). 

And while booking two adjacent cruises (i.e., two booking numbers) is not supposed to happen, some TAs will do it only to have it corrected by O (as published “extended journey” or “unpublished “custom cruise”).

And technically: while the two booking number situation would get you double perks, there SHOULD be no fare discount.

Of course, this is Oceania and everything is subject to reasonable negotiation if your TA is one of their top sellers.

NB to those who will state the the O website “find a cruise” doesn’t use the term “extended journeys” and calls all published multi-segment cruises “grand voyages” This is an artifact from the days when there were the “Grand Voyages” (like the recently reintroduced three for late 3023/early 2024). The print brochures have traditionally differentiated the two because they had different perks. 

14 minutes ago, Jack1 said:

The first sailing is actually 2 shorter cruises combined to make a longer one (35) days.  1 booking # for this.

The second cruise is same ship and immediately follows the 35 day cruise.  It has a separate booking #.

So 49 days total. Did not take air.

Just checking to see if we get 5% for both sailings.

I wish you had said that upfront (would’ve saved me some typing).

You cannot double “dip” in your situation. Is your 35 day cruise a published extended journey (unique name and one booking number plus O’s cruise ID number has A at the end)? If so, it already has more than a 5% discount compared to the total of its segments costs. If you had to assemble the two segments (unpublished), you get the 5% for that “custom cruise.” 
Adding another single segment gets you no other combo discount. It’s just another cruise that happens to be adjacent to your previous booking.

We have a somewhat similar situation coming up this autumn: Two adjacent “extended journeys” each with its own significantly discounted fare and perks based on “per cruise.” But, no 5% added discount for combining them. So, they have different booking numbers. Worth mentioning is that, if it was possible to book it all as 4 separate cruises or two custom cruises, I’d have gotten a multiple of my O platinum perks. But, despite that academic exercise, the better price of the extended journeys was the better deal.

Wife an I are new (1 one cruise on Oceania) to Oceania.  We liked the product so much we booked a B2B from NYC to Bermuda (each leg is 7 days).  Am I understanding from this discussion that the whole B2B will be treated as 1 cruise credit?

Each leg has its own booking #.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, JKrise said:

Wife an I are new (1 one cruise on Oceania) to Oceania.  We liked the product so much we booked a B2B from NYC to Bermuda (each leg is 7 days).  Am I understanding from this discussion that the whole B2B will be treated as 1 cruise credit?

Thanks in advance.

This, like Alaskan cruises, are the type of repeat B2B that may well get you two cruise credits. Cross your fingers.

Chances are you may not know until sailing. Oceania can change its mind anytime on the issue.

3 hours ago, JKrise said:

Thanks in advance.

Officially, there is no such thing as a back-to-back (B2B) cruise on Oceania. It’s too confusing a term since how multi-segment cruises SHOULD be booked affects the associated perks.

For the zillionth time:

There are published “extended journeys” with 2-3 segments, a distinct name and a single booking number. The fare is discounted significantly vs the total of the individual cruises. The O ID number has an “A” at the end. With the exception of restaurant reservations allotted based on each segment and the ability to buy booze packages per segment, all O Club perks (including cruise credits) are based on a single (total) days cruise.

There are recently reintroduced “grand journeys” - also published with a distinct name - usually 3+ segments exceeding 2 months. They are significantly discounted like the “extended journeys” with O Club perks/credits/etc treated the same way. The “grand journeys” get extra perks like laundry, et al.
Then there are “custom cruises” which are not published as a multi-segment cruise and, once booked, have a single booking number but 2 Oceania cruise ID #s. The “custom cruise” gets an approx. 5% fare discount off the total fare of both segments. With the exception that cruise credits are based on the TOTAL days (just like “extended journeys” and “grand journeys”), other O Club perks are awarded per segment. Depending on your O Club status, “Custom” could be a better bottom line deal. You have to do the math but, the only choice you have is to do itinerary A (published extended) vs a similar itinerary B (unpublished custom).

Again, “officially,” there is no “choice” of which way to book. It is based on published vs non-published. 

That said, some TAs don’t have a clue about these distinctions and initially book the cruise(s) incorrectly. If O is not “asleep at the wheel,” they (or the system software) will/should catch that erroneous booking and correct it to align with the rules. There are other TAs who do understand the policies and, yet, will try to make an “extended journey” into a “custom cruise” to maximize the O Club perks for those who might benefit from it (e.g., Platinum level). And, if they are top O bookers? Well, we already know that O considers exceptions on a variety of issues on a case-by-case basis.

So, if you are suggesting that you have two distinct Oceania invoices, each with its own  booking number (upper left hand corner) and different Oceania cruise number (right upper side of the O invoice) for adjacent 7 day segments, someone screwed up.

In any case, theoretically, each 7 day cruise would get 1 cruise credit and associated O Club perks. But, again (theoretically), you also should not get an approx. 5% fare discount for a “custom cruise.”

For the sake of the thread, please confirm, with significantly more detail, what you’ve got and who/how it was booked.

"So, if you are suggesting that you have two distinct Oceania invoices, each with its own  booking number (upper left hand corner) and different Oceania cruise number (right upper side of the O invoice) for adjacent 7 day segments, someone screwed up."

Not suggesting, stating this is what we bought and received.

Because of this thread, I checked with Oceania and TA yesterday; our B2B (NYC-Bermuda-NYC-Bermuda-NY) 7day/7day purchase it is considered two distinct and separate voyages and will be awarded two credits. BTW - Both Oceania and TA stated this is not considered a 'Custom Cruise'. 

Thanks for the info.  Another thing to consider when I retire and DW and I start going on longer cruises with Oceania.

Edited by JKrise
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JKrise said:

"So, if you are suggesting that you have two distinct Oceania invoices, each with its own  booking number (upper left hand corner) and different Oceania cruise number (right upper side of the O invoice) for adjacent 7 day segments, someone screwed up."

Not suggesting, stating this is what we bought and received.

Because of this thread, I checked with Oceania and TA yesterday; our B2B (NYC-Bermuda-NYC-Bermuda-NY) 7day/7day purchase it is considered two distinct and separate voyages and will be awarded two credits. BTW - Both Oceania and TA stated this is not considered a 'Custom Cruise'. 

Thanks for the info.  Another thing to consider when I retire and DW and I start going on longer cruises with Oceania.

Very unusual. 
Did you get a 5% fare discount on each cruise? I ask because that is what would happen if you booked it as a “custom cruise” with a single booking number.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Very unusual. 
Did you get a 5% fare discount on each cruise? I ask because that is what would happen if you booked it as a “custom cruise” with a single booking number.

Nothing unusual at all. Just like repeat Alaskan cruises.

5% fare discount might be considered chump change on these short cruises versus an additional cruise credit. This is especially the case if it gets one to ten cruises with PPG and additional OBC faster.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Very unusual. 

Please

Give it  a rest 🙄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JKrise said:

Enjoy your cruise

Some B2B's are just that 

You may or may not get the 5% discount  but you will  get a credit for the airfare on the inbetween flights (if you are using O air)

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

....5% fare discount might be considered chump change on these short cruises versus an additional cruise credit. This is especially the case if it gets one to ten cruises with PPG and additional OBC faster.

This is true.
My asking about the 5% in this case is primarily aimed at a continuing attempt to better codify O’s occasional outlier behaviors.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a long-serving O Rep disaggregate for me some of the complexities of O’s booking/refund/FCC/optional purchase rules (along with the idiosyncrasies of the O web “cart”). And that has helped quickly clarify all sorts of stuff early on that later saves a trip to Guest Services and/or email/call to my TA after embarkation.

Nonetheless, the bottom line for Oceania rule/policy behaviors continues to remind me 

of Capt. Jack Sparrow’s explanation of the Pirate Code: “It’s more a set of guidelines.”