ArriveCan

5waldos

I completed everything up until the final screen where you actually submit the form. I do not sale for another couple of weeks, but you can enter all your information, then to save and close and it will keep the information in the app. Then all you have to do when you get within the three days is submit.

The app asked questions about how you would be arriving (land, air, sea), what border station you would be using, if you had a place to quarantine, an address for where you would quarantine, etc.

Ah- thanks. Best come up with a place to quarantine before going back to it. Although unless I actually get sick I should be okay in Vancouver- will have a test just before flying in and will have the results before I board the plane. So no surprise non-symptom positive test to worry about. Unless I am pulled for a random test. Was that difficult to schedule? I got started on that part of the form and things got a bit fuzzy. 

10 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Ah- thanks. Best come up with a place to quarantine before going back to it. Although unless I actually get sick I should be okay in Vancouver- will have a test just before flying in and will have the results before I board the plane. So no surprise non-symptom positive test to worry about. Unless I am pulled for a random test. Was that difficult to schedule? I got started on that part of the form and things got a bit fuzzy. 

I am sailing from Seattle and not Vancouver, so I did not have to enter any information about a test. I am taking my test on Friday before flying to Seattle to board the cruise on Monday. Carnival says I can take the test up to three days in advance since I’ve had a Covid booster shot.I am sailing from Seattle and not Vancouver, so I did not have to enter any information about a test. I am taking my test on Friday before flying to Seattle to board the cruise on Monday. Carnival says I can take the test up to three days in advance since I’ve had a Covid booster shot.

The best option if you need to have a test once you arrive in Canada is probably to order one of the monitored self test kits usually available on your cruise lines website.

We will be flying into Vancouver the day before we cruise. We are required (I think- it was a wee bit unclear) to schedule a test with them just in case we get randomly selected for a further test when we arrive. So our own tests won't work. 

Won't you be required to enter the test results on ArriveCan at the last minute? If so, you might want to double check the Canadian requirements- it was my reading of the Canadian Gov website that the test had to be within 2 days of boarding- whatever Carnival requires. I think that the Canadian requirements trump the cruise ship ones. And I would be wary of what Carnival is saying- someone on CC said that Carnival was saying that passengers did not need to complete ArriveCan despite stopping in Canada. My reading of the Canadian regulations is that if you are entering Canada, including entering Canadian waters, that ArriveCan was supposed to be checked at boarding. 

17 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Won't you be required to enter the test results on ArriveCan at the last minute? If so, you might want to double check the Canadian requirements- it was my reading of the Canadian Gov website that the test had to be within 2 days of boarding- whatever Carnival requires. I think that the Canadian requirements trump the cruise ship ones. And I would be wary of what Carnival is saying- someone on CC said that Carnival was saying that passengers did not need to complete ArriveCan despite stopping in Canada. My reading of the Canadian regulations is that if you are entering Canada, including entering Canadian waters, that ArriveCan was supposed to be checked at boarding. 

It is confusing with lots of opinions and conflicting information from the cruise lines vs the Canadian requirements. I check in on Monday for my cruise and will see if there are any further details. My Carnival PVP assures me I can take the test 3 days prior and do not need ArriveCAN, although I don’t agree 100%.  I ordered an online test to take with me, just in case they notify me at the last minute that I took my test too early. If I don’t need it, hopefully I can use it for my October cruise.  I have completed they ArriveCAN information and will submit that 3 days prior to my arrival in Skagway for an excursion to the Yukon Territory.

Edited by JT1962

It is confusing. My reading of it is that if the ship is entering Canadian waters then ALL passengers are considered to be entering Canada, and thus ALL are required to have the completed and approved ArriveCan before being allowed to board the ship. I seem to be in the minority in this understanding. But for sure I have to have ArriveCan since we fly into Vancouver the day before we cruise. So in some ways it is easier- no question about what and when. Perhaps when the season begins we will get some first hand accounts of what happens with and without ArriveCan and with test 2 or 3 days prior to boarding. 

Do post here if there is further information once you check in- it will be interesting to see if there is further information. 

20 hours ago, 5waldos said:

It is confusing. My reading of it is that if the ship is entering Canadian waters then ALL passengers are considered to be entering Canada, and thus ALL are required to have the completed and approved ArriveCan before being allowed to board the ship. I seem to be in the minority in this understanding. But for sure I have to have ArriveCan since we fly into Vancouver the day before we cruise. So in some ways it is easier- no question about what and when. Perhaps when the season begins we will get some first hand accounts of what happens with and without ArriveCan and with test 2 or 3 days prior to boarding. 

Do post here if there is further information once you check in- it will be interesting to see if there is further information. 

This is how I understood it as well.  I see a crazy repeat of how long the check in lines were for the Bermuda cruises because people did not fill out and submit the required form. I am glad we sail in July so reports will be out by then

As a Canadian I have completed ArriveCan several times. It takes about 10mins to fully complete. You can pre-enter passport and vaccination info so that saves you time. Not sure if you are flying in to take a cruise or docking in Canada as part of a cruise. Here is the link to Cdn Gov website that explains requirements. Hope it helps.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Like 1

Just an FYI ... I embark on NCL Bliss next Saturday from Seattle and will have a port of call in Victoria, BC.  NCL just sent us an email saying that completing ArriveCan is required (they provided link in letter) and that we must show proof of completion of form at check-in along with proof of vaccination.

12 minutes ago, Krazy Kat said:

Just an FYI ... I embark on NCL Bliss next Saturday from Seattle and will have a port of call in Victoria, BC.  NCL just sent us an email saying that completing ArriveCan is required (they provided link in letter) and that we must show proof of completion of form at check-in along with proof of vaccination.

Glad they are finally getting on the same page as the Canadian requirements and notifying passengers. The requirements are not cruise line specific. It could have been a real mess at the pier with everyone trying to get ArriveCAN completed (although I’m sure many still won’t have it done).

53 minutes ago, Krazy Kat said:

That makes me feel less stupid- perhaps I did comprehend what was written. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, 5waldos said:

I checked in for my cruise with Carnival for May 2 and nothing is mentioned in the documents about needing to complete ArriveCAN. It does mention checking their website for the latest requirements, but the website has no reference to ArriveCAN (yet).  My Carnival PVP assures me it is not needed to board the cruise in Seattle, but I disagree and plan on having it when I arrive. I expect mass confusion at the pier unless the provide us information in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I checked in for my cruise with Carnival for May 2 and nothing is mentioned in the documents about needing to complete ArriveCAN. It does mention checking their website for the latest requirements, but the website has no reference to ArriveCAN (yet).  My Carnival PVP assures me it is not needed to board the cruise in Seattle, but I disagree and plan on having it when I arrive. I expect mass confusion at the pier unless the provide us information in the next 2 weeks.

If they don't check at boarding, I foresee a disaster when they hit Canada- I can imagine Canada refusing to allow the ship to dock unless they confirm that all aboard have approved ArriveCAN. I know that several other cruiselines, including Norwegian and Celebrity, finally included the requirement. Hard to believe that Carnival has a side agreement with Canada allowing them to skirt this requirement. Will be very interested to follow this- please do keep us in touch. 

8 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

If they don't check at boarding, I foresee a disaster when they hit Canada- I can imagine Canada refusing to allow the ship to dock unless they confirm that all aboard have approved ArriveCAN. I know that several other cruiselines, including Norwegian and Celebrity, finally included the requirement. Hard to believe that Carnival has a side agreement with Canada allowing them to skirt this requirement. Will be very interested to follow this- please do keep us in touch. 

Holland America  (a sister company under Carnival Corp) has already had at least one ship arrive in Canada, so someone in the company should be aware of what is required. I did see a post from someone on the first ship to dock in Victoria mention that a Canadian Customs Official asked if the has used ArriveCAN, but never asked to see the approval. Someone else said the ArriveCAN approval is linked to your Passport information and the agents can see that if the scan your passport. 

And for what happens when the forms are not completed by every one onboard- a similar situation just occurred on a Celebrity ship arriving in Portugal. Not the ArriveCAN, obviously, but the ship was not allowed to let passengers off until those who had not completed the online Poruguese paperwork did so. Appears to have held up everyone for a couple of hours with a bunch of computers set up to help people process things. I would suspect that something similar would happen in Canada- a right mess especially when the times in a port are limited. 

2 hours ago, 5waldos said:

And for what happens when the forms are not completed by every one onboard- a similar situation just occurred on a Celebrity ship arriving in Portugal. Not the ArriveCAN, obviously, but the ship was not allowed to let passengers off until those who had not completed the online Poruguese paperwork did so. Appears to have held up everyone for a couple of hours with a bunch of computers set up to help people process things. I would suspect that something similar would happen in Canada- a right mess especially when the times in a port are limited. 

My cruise is only in Victoria 8 PM - Midnight just to meet the PVSA requirement. I was not planning on getting off anyway and they could easily just stop and not let anyone off. My concern is if they are requiring ArriveCAN  to board the ship. and most aren’t aware of it, that it will be chaos at the pier with everyone trying to get signed up and the ship may be delayed leaving, putting us behind for the first stop.

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

My cruise is only in Victoria 8 PM - Midnight just to meet the PVSA requirement. I was not planning on getting off anyway and they could easily just stop and not let anyone off. My concern is if they are requiring ArriveCAN  to board the ship. and most aren’t aware of it, that it will be chaos at the pier with everyone trying to get signed up and the ship may be delayed leaving, putting us behind for the first stop.

It is up to the cruise line to inform their passengers. I would think it would be right there with the vaccination requirements and other things to fill out. 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, 5waldos said:

Anyone actually completed the entire app form- including the part within 72 hours? If you have, could you give us some idea what it entails, and approximately how long it took? Thanks.

I just completed mine for my Pacific Northwest Coastal cruise on 4/23.   It's pretty simple, scan your passport and then recheck that it captured correctly. My name was messed up so had to fix it.

Upload a picture of your vaccination card.   Answer all the questions.     Provide an address for possible quarantine.    Which I used the cruise ship and Canada Place Vancouver Address.    

You can put your whole traveling party on one account, just click on add traveler.    When finished you get a receipt and QR code.

Took less than 15 minutes.

Use this address if your cruise ship is boarding or stopping in Vancouver.

1. To get into the country, use the address of Canada Place Cruise Terminal, 999 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1, Canada
Edited by JJ2sail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, 5waldos said:

It is up to the cruise line to inform their passengers. I would think it would be right there with the vaccination requirements and other things to fill out. 

Disney informs passengers on everything.   Princess buries the info in the FAQ's on their website and does not have it anywhere in the online check in questions.  

I don't know about the other cruise lines.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, 5waldos said:

We will be flying into Vancouver the day before we cruise. We are required (I think- it was a wee bit unclear) to schedule a test with them just in case we get randomly selected for a further test when we arrive. So our own tests won't work. 

Fully vaccinated adults are not required to test before arrival in Canada.   The test requirements are for the cruise.    The ArriveCan app is for Canada and requires passport and vaccination information and a location to quarantine should you get sick.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JJ2sail said:

Fully vaccinated adults are not required to test before arrival in Canada.   The test requirements are for the cruise.    The ArriveCan app is for Canada and requires passport and vaccination information and a location to quarantine should you get sick.  

But there are random tests on arrival and as of about 2 weeks ago I was directed to schedule a test on arrival in case I was selected. Or has this now been dropped?

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

So what is everyone using for their place of quarantine?

This is what I read on another thread: To get into the country, use the address of Canada Place Cruise Terminal, 999 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1, Canada

• Like 1