ArriveCan

5waldos

What flipp'n mess! I talked to my TA yesterday and she didn't have a clue about ArriveCAN, I don't think she had ever heard of it before. I wonder how big of a mess it's going to be on embarkation day and what's going to happen to those who don't go on online and fill out the forms. The BS never ends! My DH wants to cancel this upcoming cruise, but we have a lot of OBC to use or lose by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

What flipp'n mess! I talked to my TA yesterday and she didn't have a clue about ArriveCAN, I don't think she had ever heard of it before. I wonder how big of a mess it's going to be on embarkation day and what's going to happen to those who don't go on online and fill out the forms. The BS never ends! My DH wants to cancel this upcoming cruise, but we have a lot of OBC to use or lose by the end of the year. 

I agree. We seem to know much more than those getting paid to understand the requirements and let the customers know. Carnival just confirmed today that Covid tests for all are needed no more than 2 days in advance rather than 3 days for those who have a booster, as my PVP had been telling me.

Carnival still has no mention of ArriveCAN and seem to think it is not required. Their “Ambassador” says they are still finalizing requirements with Canada on some things. What is there to discuss? Most other cruise lines have had information on testing and ArriveCAN requirements for a while. Carnival’s sister lines Princess & Holland America seem to have it figured out for cruises from the US to Alaska. Why would Carnival not just use their requirements?

20 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I agree. We seem to know much more than those getting paid to understand the requirements and let the customers know. Carnival just confirmed today that Covid tests for all are needed no more than 2 days in advance rather than 3 days for those who have a booster, as my PVP had been telling me.

Carnival still has no mention of ArriveCAN and seem to think it is not required. Their “Ambassador” says they are still finalizing requirements with Canada on some things. What is there to discuss? Most other cruise lines have had information on testing and ArriveCAN requirements for a while. Carnival’s sister lines Princess & Holland America seem to have it figured out for cruises from the US to Alaska. Why would Carnival not just use their requirements?

Carnival Cruise Line Releases Protocols for Visits to Canada (cruisehive.com)

18 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

That is old news based on what Carnival issued yesterday. They just updated requirements and will be updating the website and sending an email with the new requirements tonight or tomorrow.

Carnival now says a PCR test 72-24 hours before boarding or an Antigen test 2 days prior.  They also say you must submit information using  ArriiveCAN up to 72 hours prior to boarding.

Edited by JT1962

Shore side staff at Seattle's Pier 91 were told that all passengers must show proof of completion of ArriveCan before entering the terminal at Pier 91.  Management is still formulating how to assist those passengers who show up not having registered with ArriveCan.   Staff was also told that the Canadians would be doing random spot checks at Canadian port-of-calls.

Please be proactive and register with ArriveCan.

This was published yesterday on "The Points Guy" website, the quarantine plan is now gone.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-covid-restrictions-end-canada/

Canada will remove some additional COVID-19 restrictions as the new week gets underway. Starting Monday, April 25, the Canadian government is relaxing testing requirements for unvaccinated children between the ages of 5 and 11, and removing requirements for fully vaccinated travelers to provide a quarantine plan upon entry. Canada is also easing some of its health protocols for visitors once they’re in the country.

Under the new changes, unvaccinated children between the ages of 5-11 can also skip the pre-entry COVID-19 test previously required, provided that they are accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent or guardian. Children under the age of five do not face any of these requirements. All unvaccinated travelers over the age of 12 must submit a negative test result.

One requirement that remains in place for all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, is use of the ArriveCAN app, where travelers can enter personal information and travel plans. This is also where vaccinated travelers enter their vaccination data.

Canada will also lessen some of its federal COVID-19 health restrictions for those in the country as well starting on Monday. The government is dropping its mask-wearing requirement for fully vaccinated people in public spaces, and eliminating the requirement for fully vaccinated visitors to quarantine if another traveler in their group shows COVID-19 symptoms. Those visitors also no longer face a requirement to keep a list of close contacts and places visited.

28 minutes ago, jhskick said:

Alaska cruises have just started. We should all give up on the speculation and wait to hear from the people om these cruises first hand. 

As a "first hand" who will be docking in Victoria on the 26th, Canada requires ALL passengers to have completed arriveCAN before the ship can release any passengers.  Classes are being held onboard the Zuiderdam to ensure all are properly enrolled in ArriveCAN and have completed all Customs documents even those continuing on to Alaska.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

Under the new changes, unvaccinated children between the ages of 5-11 can also skip the pre-entry COVID-19 test previously required, provided that they are accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent or guardian. Children under the age of five do not face any of these requirements. All unvaccinated travelers over the age of 12 must submit a negative test result.

One requirement that remains in place for all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, is use of the ArriveCAN app, where travelers can enter personal information and travel plans. This is also where vaccinated travelers enter their vaccination data.

Just remember that the cruise lines have requirements, and the Canadian gov't has requirements, and they may vary.

If you are embarking from an US port, make sure you check your cruise lines' requirements.  Also, download and complete ArriveCan within 72 hours of embarkation.  Be flexible, as countries and cruise lines adapt to the ever changing public health safety needs.

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just remember that the cruise lines have requirements, and the Canadian gov't has requirements, and they may vary.

If you are embarking from an US port, make sure you check your cruise lines' requirements.  Also, download and complete ArriveCan within 72 hours of embarkation.  Be flexible, as countries and cruise lines adapt to the ever changing public health safety needs.

So very true. AT least no quarantine plans will need to be documented when cruising out of Vancouver........................ from April 25th until who knows? We have all learned that things can and do change on a daily basis.

• Like 1

The ArriveCAN app was updated today with a couple of major changes. 

1. You no longer have to enter a quarantine plan, just choose your ship. 

2. The app says those fully vaccinated no longer need proof of a Covid test. This now matches the April 1 update that removed testing requirements. The tests for the cruise line will still apply. 

7755D820-09A6-4624-9DD0-4A86D16B81C9.png

Your not going to be able to get on the ship without showing that you've satisfied the requirements of ArriveCan, able to show a receipt, on your phone or a printed receipt. The cruise ship companies have done a terrible job letting there customers know these requirements. Those of us on cruise critic know what the ArriveCan  requirements are but we are in a very small percentage of the cruise ship industry. Whats going to happen when the Alaska cruise season really gets rolling in mid May, when cruisers get to Pier 91 or 66 in Seattle and they are denied boarding until they register with ArriveCan, it's going to be a flipp'n mess. I asked my TA about ArriveCan and she said she'd have to get back to me, that was a week ago, I'm still waiting. 

26 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Your not going to be able to get on the ship without showing that you've satisfied the requirements of ArriveCan, able to show a receipt, on your phone or a printed receipt. The cruise ship companies have done a terrible job letting there customers know these requirements. Those of us on cruise critic know what the ArriveCan  requirements are but we are in a very small percentage of the cruise ship industry. Whats going to happen when the Alaska cruise season really gets rolling in mid May, when cruisers get to Pier 91 or 66 in Seattle and they are denied boarding until they register with ArriveCan, it's going to be a flipp'n mess. I asked my TA about ArriveCan and she said she'd have to get back to me, that was a week ago, I'm still waiting. 

I totally agree. I will be cruising with Carnival on 5/2 and they finally sent an email late on 4/22 that said we needed to use ArriveCAN. Many on the Book of F.ce page for the cruise reported never getting the email and I have still not seen anything on the Carnival website about ArriveCAN being required.

I saw a post here that the pier workers would not allow you into the building to finish the boarding process without the ArriveCAN QR code. I can picture one line for those with the QR code and 12 lines with confused passengers working with frazzled pier workers trying to get the app loaded and completed or using a laptop to access the ArriveCAN website for those without smartphones. 

Edited by JT1962

Everyone on the Ovation OTS simulation cruise (4/26) was required to have proof the ArriveCan acceptance as shown by a QR code, in order to begin their embarkation process.  Passengers who arrived at Pier 91 without ArriveCan were instructed on how to start and complete the process.  Pier staff was available for assistance.

The expectation is as the cruise season progresses, the cruise lines, travel agents and other avenues of cruise information will get the word out about the ArriveCan requirement, and fewer and fewer passengers will arrive at the without it (and the need to download it at the terminal).

I think people are making too much out of the ArriveCan app requirements. And, those who are are preparing for an Alaska cruise, how did you not know?  I read a post this morning on a different site that indicated it was a snap to complete. I think the bigger issue is the timing for the negative test. I'm watching closely for any "real issues" but not seeing much of anything other than complaining.

As Ferry mentioned, things will certainly get easier once everyone is on the same page regarding getting the word out on the requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

And, those who are are preparing for an Alaska cruise, how did you not know?  

Many of us did know from reading the Canadian requirements, but some of the cruise lines had no mention of it until recently. Until this past Friday (4/22), Carnival, and their Ambassador John Heald, insisted ArriveCAN was not needed for departures from Seattle. They fino sent out an email late on Friday informing those cruising in the next 2 weeks that ArriveCAN was required (but only about 1/2 on the 5/2 sailing say they received the email). As of today, there is still nothing on the Carnival website regarding AttiveCAN, so many are still unaware of it. 

After the update of the App on 4/25, it is much simpler since it no longer required to enter details on where you will quarantine or your Covid test information. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2