Transportation from Le Verdon to Bordeaux

Sailing12Away

Sailing into Le Verdon with NCL Star next month and we've been trying to find some wine tasting trips because we can't go to Bordeaux and not have wine. The NCL excursions are very limited and only visit 1-2 places. We found a few private tours, but since we're docking in Le Verdon the price is extremely high (~700 euros for 2 people).

In speaking to the private tour companies, they've told us that there is no public transportation in Le Verdon. I find that a bit hard to believe, but what do I know...

For anyone who has sailed into this port before, do the cruise ships typically have an option for a 'city transfer' that will bring you into the city proper? When we sailed to Palma NCL had an option for a $5 bus pass that took you from the port to city center, and then when you were ready you caught the bus back. It ran every hour or so on a loop and that was perfect for us. Since those are not expensive tours they typically don't advertise them online ahead of time, but we've found that as an option with both NCL and then again with RCC when we were in Crete.

So can anyone confirm if such an option was available on your trips? Or if public transportation is an option? We're fine with just getting into town and wandering to a few wine bars instead of a vineyard visit, but would need to figure out how to get to city center. Or we just suck it up and do a 'lesser' NCL tour, or pay the hefty price for a private one that is more inline with what we wanted to see/do.

the price is extremely high (~700 euros for 2 people).

Yikes.  That is extremely high.  You would have to decide if it is worth it to you personally.   You may be able to save some money by booking with a company local to le Verdon itself as this area also has vineyards which you could possibly visit locally instead of paying for private round trip Bordeaux driving.   It is the MEDOC, not as well known as Bordeaux, but could be an option at a big saving..

If you have not already done so, a quick search for le Verdon here on CC(but not "everywhere" only the French Board) produced this:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2808117-le-verdon-and-soulac-oct-21-trip-report/#comment-62008086  By searching wider eg "everywhere" you might turn up more.

So there may or may not be a ship shuttle to a nearby town.  You could try asking this same question on the NCL forum and see if you get anything from that, otherwise try an internet search for something like "le verdon cruise port guide" and see what your results are, also" vineyard tours le Verdon" or something similar.

• 5 months later...

I think I probably read this here, but if not:  It's my understanding that on at least one Nowegian cruise, a shuttle was offered to Soulac sur Mer for a reasonable amount of money, though I forget exact amount.  We're on a cruise on Oceania next year and the ship docks in Le Verdon for 3 hours until the tides around there are favorable for passage. I would love to go see two lighthouses not terribly far from there, but so far haven't found anything that works, at least not for 3 hours only.

But if I read anything more, I'll try to come back on here and post.  And in addition to the website Edinburgher mentioned, I usually find cruisecrocodile helpful.  But Verdon?  Sounds difficult.  

• 5 months later...

I had created a whole thread dedicated to our day there in Le Verdon, with maps and info on the shuttles that were available as well as the private tour we ended up doing. But it looks like CC deleted it since then as I can no longer find it.

We booked a private tour with this young woman. Had a great day, she picked us up from the port and took us to 3 different vineyards. It was only ourselves and another couple in the van, perfect day.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g635777-d20287878-Reviews-Vigne_Authentique-Soulac_sur_Mer_Gironde_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I had created a whole thread dedicated to our day there in Le Verdon, with maps and info on the shuttles that were available as well as the private tour we ended up doing. But it looks like CC deleted it since then as I can no longer find it.

We booked a private tour with this young woman. Had a great day, she picked us up from the port and took us to 3 different vineyards. It was only ourselves and another couple in the van, perfect day.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g635777-d20287878-Reviews-Vigne_Authentique-Soulac_sur_Mer_Gironde_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html

can i ask you what she charged and did she speak english?

My cruise is coming up soon.  From what I've read, there is nothing iin Le Verdon at the berth, but often the cruise lines have arranged a shuttle going to Soulac sur Mer (free or paid).  From there, you can go to the tourist info center to inquire about tours, although I don't know if they include long tours which go to Bordeaux.  You can also hire a taxi in Soulac.  Or you can just visit the city and/or beach.  On our cruise, excursions are being offered for our stop in Le Verdon which include  a visit to a winery.  At around 4, when the ship is expected to be tied up in Bordeaux, you're taken to the ship. But for those people wishing to take non-ship tours, I don't know what their options are.  You might want to google the Soulac tourist information center and ask about tours outside Soulac.  

18 hours ago, coopster said:

can i ask you what she charged and did she speak english?

Yes, she spoke perfect English and helped translate for us when we grabbed lunch at a local crepe place. I don't remember the cost, but split between the 4 of us it was cheaper than a cruise ship excursion.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

My cruise is coming up soon.  From what I've read, there is nothing iin Le Verdon at the berth, but often the cruise lines have arranged a shuttle going to Soulac sur Mer (free or paid).  From there, you can go to the tourist info center to inquire about tours, although I don't know if they include long tours which go to Bordeaux.  You can also hire a taxi in Soulac.  Or you can just visit the city and/or beach.  On our cruise, excursions are being offered for our stop in Le Verdon which include  a visit to a winery.  At around 4, when the ship is expected to be tied up in Bordeaux, you're taken to the ship. But for those people wishing to take non-ship tours, I don't know what their options are.  You might want to google the Soulac tourist information center and ask about tours outside Soulac.  

so what are you doing? are you doing a ship excursion or going on your own?

I'm not interested in wine, so many of the things people do in Bordeaux (and in the Medoc region, which included Le Verdon, aren't of much interest to me in Bordeaux.  I'm trying to decide what I want to do.  I'm kind of interested in Arachon, and a little interested in St. Emelion.  Both can be reached fairly easily by train, and I love doing things on my own, so I may do that the morning of the full day we're there.  I'll explore the area around Bordeaux, and things that are available via a tram ride or a BAT boat ride.  I'm disappointed that Bordeaux doesn't have their Miroir d'Eau operating until May, so I won't be able to see that.  But everyone seems to love Bordeaux, so I have a number of ideas of fun and easy things to do/see.  And the big Cite du Vin museum is just a short tram ride away, up (or down?) the river.  My spouse has indicated he may like to do that. And I've read that the tourist info center in Bordeaux has tours to near by chateaux.   As for the trip to Bordeaux from Le Verdon, I'll likely stay on the ship as it cruises the river.  It sounds rather unusual, plus there are some lighthouses and other things along the shore I'm interested in, so I'll just relax and enjoy the trip.  In Le Verdon, assuming we're allowed off the ship, and there's a shuttle to Soulac, I'll go there and just nose around. I'm pretty easily entertained, and love doing things on my own (or with spouse) and taking pictures, finding things of interest, etc.  

On 3/20/2023 at 7:41 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

On our cruise in November, Princess offered a free shuttle to Soulac Sur Mer.

There is absolutely nothing to do in Le Verdon. And if I remember correctly - they don't want you walking around the port area.

I did take a tour into Bordeaux. I am not into wine. It was a long trip in and back but I really did like Bordeaux. I did a trip which included the wine museum and time on our own. The Museum was pretty darn cool even for this non-wine drinker. It sort of reminded me of a kids interactive museum but for adults. The architecture in Bordeaux is stunning. There is also a food market near the wine museum which had amazing food. I did enjoy my day - just wish the time to Bordeaux wasn't such a far way.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Yes, she spoke perfect English and helped translate for us when we grabbed lunch at a local crepe place. I don't remember the cost, but split between the 4 of us it was cheaper than a cruise ship excursion.

Do you by chance know if she (or someone else) provided tours to Bordeaux?  Thank you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drdelta said:

Do you by chance know if she (or someone else) provided tours to Bordeaux?  Thank you

You mean for cruises that are docking in Bordeaux proper? I don't know. Our trip docked in Le Verdon which is where she's based out of. Bordeaux proper is a good 1-2 hours away from there.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2023 at 8:29 AM, Lovecruise247 said:

I think it would be a good idea to email the tour company.  They would know.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:26 PM, Coral said:

On our cruise in November, Princess offered a free shuttle to Soulac Sur Mer.

There is absolutely nothing to do in Le Verdon. And if I remember correctly - they don't want you walking around the port area.

I did take a tour into Bordeaux. I am not into wine. It was a long trip in and back but I really did like Bordeaux. I did a trip which included the wine museum and time on our own. The Museum was pretty darn cool even for this non-wine drinker. It sort of reminded me of a kids interactive museum but for adults. The architecture in Bordeaux is stunning. There is also a food market near the wine museum which had amazing food. I did enjoy my day - just wish the time to Bordeaux wasn't such a far way.

We are going to Le Verdon in early October.  I know that the ship (Norwegian Getaway) offers a shuttle ($15pp), to Soulac.   Not too interested in that.  Apart from that, there don’t seem to be too many options.  I did hear on a YouTube video, that NCL also offered a shuttle to Bordeaux.  $25 We are only interested in walking around Bordeaux, mostly the city center, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site.  I hear its stunning.  Does anyone know if NCL offers a shuttle/bus to Bordeaux & back.   If that is offered, I would jump at it.  Are there any other ideas.  I would love to hear from someone who has been to Le Verdon recently (2023).  Thank you!

17 hours ago, Lovecruise247 said:

We are going to Le Verdon in early October.  I know that the ship (Norwegian Getaway) offers a shuttle ($15pp), to Soulac.   Not too interested in that.  Apart from that, there don’t seem to be too many options.  I did hear on a YouTube video, that NCL also offered a shuttle to Bordeaux.  $25 We are only interested in walking around Bordeaux, mostly the city center, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site.  I hear its stunning.  Does anyone know if NCL offers a shuttle/bus to Bordeaux & back.   If that is offered, I would jump at it.  Are there any other ideas.  I would love to hear from someone who has been to Le Verdon recently (2023).  Thank you!

Soulac was actually quite lovely. Small beach town with some shops and lovely beach with water, although if you're goin in October may be too chilly for a beach day. They did have some Bordeaux trips, but it will be a long day. It's about a 2hr ride there each way, so 4 hours of your 7 hour tour will be spent sitting on a bus. If you think that's worth it, keep an eye out for them. For us, we said we would skip Bordeaux proper until we're there on a river cruise or land trip.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Soulac was actually quite lovely. Small beach town with some shops and lovely beach with water, although if you're goin in October may be too chilly for a beach day. They did have some Bordeaux trips, but it will be a long day. It's about a 2hr ride there each way, so 4 hours of your 7 hour tour will be spent sitting on a bus. If you think that's worth it, keep an eye out for them. For us, we said we would skip Bordeaux proper until we're there on a river cruise or land trip.

Good thinking!  That’s what we will probably end up doing.  Soulac won’t be very pleasant in October.  The distance is what’s keeping us in Le Havre & Honfleur; instead of going to Paris.  A cruise is still a cruise, I’m sure it will fun.

I will toss out a thought which might be useful to future cruisers (not yet booked) who happen to read this thread.  There are several ways to visit the city of Bordeaux on a cruise, and some are much better than others.  Docking at Le Verdon is one of the least desirable, but this port is often used by larger ships (and some smaller vessels).  The ideal situation is to book a cruise whose itinerary takes it all the way up the Gironde River to where it docks within the city of Bordeaux.  On these cruises, one can actually walk off the ship and be in town (some docking locations might call for a taxi or a shuttle).  

The reason I mention this is that many folks book a cruise without looking at this kind of detail.  We have often suggested that before booking any cruise the folks take a detailed look at the itinerary, the actual docking locations, the times in port, and even the day of the week in each port (which can be very important in Europe).  As some simple examples, a cruise that is in Civitavecchia on a Sunday or Monday means you have to deal with some important closures (i.e. the Vatican is closed on most Sundays).  If you are in Istanbul on a Tuesday, Topkapi will be closed.  On a Sunday, the famous Covered Market/Grand Bazaar is closed.   If you plan on renting a car in France, it can be near impossible to find an open agency on a Sunday or holiday!

These are all the kinds of things that one might want to consider when looking for cruises to more exotic places.  While much of this does not matter in the Caribbean or Alaska, when you are talking about Europe, South America, and even some parts of Asia, it can be the difference between a happy cruiser and one who is frustrated.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree that a little research can certainly help prepare for what you might experience.  I actually do a lot of research, but not usually before choosing an itinerary.  But I have to say that there has only been one cruise stop in one cruise I've taken (out of at least 20 over the years) that resulted in there being  practically nothing to do in a location -- one store, no shuttle, no cabs, no tours offered other than from the cruise line, probably no restaurant.  But luckily in that place, a small city in Canada, in late September, the cruise line was offering a few excursions.  Many people shun cruise line excursions, but I was very happy they offered a few in that port.  I took one, and it ended up being a nice day.  And there have been other small (or large )places I've been where I just got off the ship, explored on my own, and had a great time.  Often the places I know nothing about end up being favorites.

But in all cases, I do research, at least before going to a place, to see what's there.  The site "What's in Port" gives a good, short introduction to many ports.  Other sites, tourism offices, libraries, book stores, etc. provide other ways of getting information.  And once on board a ship, if you google (or go to Oceania Cruise Line's library and read Lonely Planet books!) you'll be better prepared for a rewarding day in just about any place any cruise ship goes.  But if you're particularly interested in Bordeaux, I'd suggest you look at that cruise line for itineraries, and confirm that the ones stopping in Bordeaux actually cruise the river and tie up there.  I ended up loving Bordeaux in early May on Oceania, just by doing some research, grabbing a map, looking for the tram stop, and exploring on my own or with my spouse. And that riverside tie-up was SO fun, for the passengers as well as a lot of curious onlookers!  But if there are two cities on an itinerary on the same line for a particular day or half day (for example, Bordeaux (Le Verdon sur Mer) or Florence (Livorno) or Livorno/Florence/Pisa)  make sure you understand just where the ship is going/docking/anchoring.  And while I'm on a roll, I'd suggest that if you're flying into a wonderful-sounding city on the same day the cruise is leaving from that city, don't plan on seeing much of the city unless you fly in a day or two early or otherwise have another full day in the city. 

_MG_0118 Fun & games on waterfront promenade.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 1:23 AM, Lovecruise247 said:

Good thinking!  That’s what we will probably end up doing.  Soulac won’t be very pleasant in October.  The distance is what’s keeping us in Le Havre & Honfleur; instead of going to Paris.  A cruise is still a cruise, I’m sure it will fun.

What did you end up doing and was there a mere shuttle from NCL to Bordeaux City Center for the 25 US, as I will do the same in November 2024 with the "Star"... and need do decide what to do there,,,

On 9/22/2023 at 10:41 AM, Hlitner said:

I will toss out a thought which might be useful to future cruisers (not yet booked) who happen to read this thread.  There are several ways to visit the city of Bordeaux on a cruise, and some are much better than others.  Docking at Le Verdon is one of the least desirable, but this port is often used by larger ships (and some smaller vessels).  The ideal situation is to book a cruise whose itinerary takes it all the way up the Gironde River to where it docks within the city of Bordeaux.  On these cruises, one can actually walk off the ship and be in town (some docking locations might call for a taxi or a shuttle).  

The reason I mention this is that many folks book a cruise without looking at this kind of detail.  We have often suggested that before booking any cruise the folks take a detailed look at the itinerary, the actual docking locations, the times in port, and even the day of the week in each port (which can be very important in Europe).  As some simple examples, a cruise that is in Civitavecchia on a Sunday or Monday means you have to deal with some important closures (i.e. the Vatican is closed on most Sundays).  If you are in Istanbul on a Tuesday, Topkapi will be closed.  On a Sunday, the famous Covered Market/Grand Bazaar is closed.   If you plan on renting a car in France, it can be near impossible to find an open agency on a Sunday or holiday!

These are all the kinds of things that one might want to consider when looking for cruises to more exotic places.  While much of this does not matter in the Caribbean or Alaska, when you are talking about Europe, South America, and even some parts of Asia, it can be the difference between a happy cruiser and one who is frustrated.

Hank

Realize this is several months late to the party - but any hints or tips on how to find that specific details about where the ship will physically be docking? Obviously if an itinerary says Bordeaux (Le Verdon) you know you're not actually in Bordeaux proper - but for our upcoming trip in the Caribbean there's a few spots where there are multiple cruise ports in the cities, and the one we'll be at will change our plans for the day.

For example - San Juan. There's the port at the Pan Am location, and then there's the much more desirable (to us) location directly on the side over in Old San Juan. Itinerary just says "San Juan" and no port address to figure it out. From what we've been able to read it seems that ships embarking from San Juan will use the Pan Am port, but for a port of call short visit they tend to use the ones on the Old San Juan side. But it would be nice to know for certain.

34 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Realize this is several months late to the party - but any hints or tips on how to find that specific details about where the ship will physically be docking? Obviously if an itinerary says Bordeaux (Le Verdon) you know you're not actually in Bordeaux proper - but for our upcoming trip in the Caribbean there's a few spots where there are multiple cruise ports in the cities, and the one we'll be at will change our plans for the day.

For example - San Juan. There's the port at the Pan Am location, and then there's the much more desirable (to us) location directly on the side over in Old San Juan. Itinerary just says "San Juan" and no port address to figure it out. From what we've been able to read it seems that ships embarking from San Juan will use the Pan Am port, but for a port of call short visit they tend to use the ones on the Old San Juan side. But it would be nice to know for certain.

The best way is to simply ask your cruise line (they may or may not give you the info).  Another method is to look online for the web site of the port (the official site if it exists) where the Port may publish their port schedule including docking locations (if known).  Another method, which is not always reliable, is to look us the port schedule on a 3rd party site such as Cruisemapper.com

Even if you try all available methods, you still might not know until the day before (or sometimes the actual day) you arrive at a port.  There are lots of factors which can impact docking locations and the port authorities do have the ability to make last minute changes.

Hank

Hank

On 9/21/2023 at 7:23 PM, Lovecruise247 said:

We decided to sit it out, finally.  There was an excursion available, to tour the wineries.  We don’t drink much, so that didn’t make sense to us.  People who did go, had a great time.  

57 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The best way is to simply ask your cruise line (they may or may not give you the info).  Another method is to look online for the web site of the port (the official site if it exists) where the Port may publish their port schedule including docking locations (if known).  Another method, which is not always reliable, is to look us the port schedule on a 3rd party site such as Cruisemapper.com

Even if you try all available methods, you still might not know until the day before (or sometimes the actual day) you arrive at a port.  There are lots of factors which can impact docking locations and the port authorities do have the ability to make last minute changes.

Hank

Hank

On this particular cruise, some of the ports were difficult!  Amsterdam was an easy walk into town; but others were just difficult.  For example, Hamburg.  Le Verdon wasn’t all that easy, unless you were doing an excursion.  Le Havre turned out to be a pleasant surprise, there was a shuttle for $7, which included a day pass for local buses within town.  In Bilbao, there were taxis available right outside the port building, that worked very well.  It was difficult to get any information beforehand; you got into port, then you got to find out how easy or difficult things would be.