What to pack: 12 nights Iceland/Ireland and 12 nights British Isles in July

Swann5

We will be sailing out of Amsterdam, our first time cruising this far north and we will be spending a four days in Amsterdam post cruise. I have read various threads about unpredictable weather and the need for weatherproof attire. As a person who normally needs an extra layer, I'm wondering how many layers I need to bring and how many summer outfits to take! Any advice on what to pack is greatly appreciated. 

Dianne

Not sure of your itinerary. We were on a Celtic cruise in early August.  Weather is always changing and would recommend having a warm sweater and a rainproof jacket. Layers are best as when touring it can be cool early morning and warm by the afternoon. The winds were strong in Edinburgh and Invergordon and we didn't make it to Glasgow due to high winds. As we headed south to Ireland and England, the weather was warmer and we switched out our sweaters to summer gear. Just go prepared and enjoy. 

Thanks for your insights, Westeast. I'm trying hard not to overpack for this cruise. We have 3 sea days cruising to and from Iceland, overnighting in Akureyri and Reykjavik, then Belfast, Dunmore East (Waterford), Cork, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Inverness, Greenock, Belfast, Liverpool, Holyhead, Saint Peter Port, Dover, and back to Amsterdam for four nights.

Your dilemma is further complicated when you consider that we (living in Cork) are taking a 14 day cruise to Scotland, Iceland and Norway and we also are unsure what to pack 🤪

Just make sure that you have a good waterproof/windproof outside layer.  Even in July it can be a glorious sunny 23°C one day and a miserable wet and windy 14°C the next.

• Like 4

This is helpful. We are doing a British Isles cruise, starting in Amsterdam, in late August-early September and I had the same question. I guess a light weight rain jacket and lots of layering is the way to go. I wonder if it will be warm enough on sea days to even bother with bathing suits...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I pack as I do for Alaska - layers that can be adjusted.  Amsterdam should be lovely - I wore capris and skirts there in July last time we visited as it was warm and sunny.  Iceland and Ireland will also need a waterproof layer but again layers so warm/cool can be accommodated.  Our glacier trip in the boats included their cold weather gear.

• 2 months later...

We’re going on a b2b Ireland/Iceland and Norwegian Fjords cruise (19 days on ship) with 4 nights in Amsterdam prior. I’m desperately trying to figure out how to pack adequately. We’d really like to do carryons and backpacks only, considering current airport problems.  All the layers and need for waterproof clothing is throwing me for a loop though. Has anyone actually done this? 

We are currently in what is to be a very short heatwave. Yesterday,  Wales recorded its highest ever temperature (37.1). Last night was the UK's hottest on record. And the forecasters say that, the UK will probably record its highest ever temperature (estimated at  somewhere between 40 and 42) during today, beating the record only set in 2019.

But, to demonstate the vagaries of our weather, there may be heavy rain during this evening and tomorrow it's expected to return to normal summer temperatures at around 24.

• Host Bonjour changed the title to What to pack: 12 nights Iceland/Ireland and 12 nights British Isles in July
On 7/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, sunpsyche said:

We’re going on a b2b Ireland/Iceland and Norwegian Fjords cruise (19 days on ship) with 4 nights in Amsterdam prior. I’m desperately trying to figure out how to pack adequately. We’d really like to do carryons and backpacks only, considering current airport problems.  All the layers and need for waterproof clothing is throwing me for a loop though. Has anyone actually done this? 

We have switched to carryons since hearing of the issues with airlines and luggage.  One friend on Viking River cruise finally received her luggage the 3rd day of cruise and another friend visiting her homeland Scotland received her luggage the 6th day of her visit.  Not possible to cruise without changes of clothing for me.  Already put suitcase which I planned to check back in storage.  I will do with less.