A Fractured LIVE - Fractured My Ankle on Carnival Spirit - In hospital in Cartagena

TravelBluebird

Thanks again for posting your thoughts throughout this entire experience because as I've grown older I've found preparation is a must for travel - at least have a plan in case the worst happens (travel insurance, high limit credit card, etc.) and your story just reminds me of that before we head out again. 

I'm glad Jair assisted you so capably, but I think we can all imagine it was his pleasure dealing with "good people" like you 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

We are looking into knee scooters

I was out shopping today and was at the local Goodwill store...saw a large selection of crutches and thought of you. :)  They also had some other medical contraptions so thought I would mention this might be another place you could check, although each location is different - depending on what gets donated.

I never thought of shopping there, but after my divorce wanted to get a new set of dishes and went there.  It was fun to pick out single dinner plates, little plates and bowls all with different designs to create a one of a kind new set of dishes.  Love being able to recycle like that. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, CruisingAgain said:

Is your travel insurance only medical? Ours covers trip interuption too. Hoping yours does also if Carnival will not provide a refund.

We decided to keep trip interruption recovery to only $2,000 to keep the travel insurance premium down since we wanted $50,000 medical coverage and $500,000 medical evacuation insurance. We tend to insure for devastating financial consequences of unexpected events (medical emergency, car accident) and underinsure for those we can better handle (such as a trip interruption). 

So we’ll get something back from travel insurance for the interruption of the cruise, but not the whole fare.

• Like 5

Just curious if Carnival is taking any responsibility for what happened?  I realize we as humans, fall and may be clumsy at times, but did anyone look into whether there was something wrong with the walk way to see if you tripped on something, or stumbled because it was faulty?  Maybe there was a lip that was not lying correctly?  Just wondering what Carnival is doing to insure safety and if they looked into any of this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smwg said:

Just curious if Carnival is taking any responsibility for what happened?  I realize we as humans, fall and may be clumsy at times, but did anyone look into whether there was something wrong with the walk way to see if you tripped on something, or stumbled because it was faulty?  Maybe there was a lip that was not lying correctly?  Just wondering what Carnival is doing to insure safety and if they looked into any of this.

I know that security took a report of the accident and was investigating, and I hope that they have done this.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smwg said:

I realize we as humans, fall and may be clumsy at times, but

did anyone look into whether there was something wrong with the walk way to see if you tripped on something, or stumbled because it was faulty? 

Maybe there was a lip that was not lying correctly? 

I'm always amazed how people fail to look down at where they're actually walking.

Most folks assume a clear path, but you know what they say about assumptions

and the road to hell being paved with whatever...

At my advanced age,

a constant concern is Avoiding Falls, having had one or two already.

Watch where you walk -literally.    Look down!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I'm always amazed how people fail to look down at where they're actually walking.

Most folks assume a clear path, but you know what they say about assumptions

and the road to hell being paved with whatever...

At my advanced age,

a constant concern is Avoiding Falls, having had one or two already.

Watch where you walk -literally.    Look down!

SO true. I’m usually so careful up and down stairs. But that morning, with the excitement of being in South America—just takes one second of inattention to Fall//not see a problem//trip. One second. Literally.  

And then your trip and life veer off in a very unexpected direction. 

Don’t be me!

• Like 5

Just a quick update on my first US doctor appointment.

Went well!  They said the doctors in Columbia did a good job on the surgery. Basically I broke that large bony bone on the side of your ankle (can’t remember the name), the fibula, and something else in the back. I saw the xray; lots of hardware.  I was already a mess going through airport security scans with my replaced knee; now it’ll be even slower with my ankle hardware!

Got a new splint with some crazy wet glass that molds to your leg in like 20 minutes. Not used to it yet so kinda uncomfortable.  Stitches not out for like 2 weeks (only thing I’m displeased with...may mean more scarring, but then again, my right leg already has the old knee replacement scar so perhaps my bikini modeling days are over (before they ever started for sure).

And getting a knee scooter which so many of you recommended, so thank you for that! OK to use with a knee replacement, just recommended I use a little extra padding in the knee area.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, TravelBluebird said:

We have received the final hospital bill.

$15,000 USD (in total, including the $10,000 we already paid).  Honestly could have been so much worse and that is well within our coverage amount.

We got a detailed bill. Allianz has also asked for doctor names and diagnoses and it does not look like the detailed bill includes all that (at least not the Dr Names) so we will have to see how that can be obtained.

Wow, what a deal!  My dh passed out in January and after hours in the ER and a 2 nights stay his bill is topping $40,000.  Thank goodness for insurance.

1 hour ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Wow, what a deal!  My dh passed out in January and after hours in the ER and a 2 nights stay his bill is topping $40,000.  Thank goodness for insurance.

Wow, $40,000!

Yes, $15,000 for the medical care in Colombia seemed reasonable, but I didn’t have anything recent to compare it to.  Also (not sure if I mentioned this) it was a brand new facility—while i was being wheeled out of surgery, I noticed that I was wheeled down a hall that clearly wasn’t finished (walls covered in tarps). I wasn’t sure if I imagined it, and later found out that they were putting the finishing touches on the facility.  Brand new hospital rooms, very large, and the nicest thing about that was there was actually a small bed in the corner so my husband could be with me as much as he wanted. We considered having him just stay at the hospital full time (no hotel) but realized it was best for him to have the hotel//be in outside world for errands etc. for multiple reasons, including his mental health.

The doctor yesterday said minimum 6-8 weeks no weight on ankle/foot and then we see where we go from there.  I have an important convention out of town in early August that I just have to be at...that is basically 12 weeks away. That travel will be an important goal for me.  I need to be there, even if I have to use mobility assistance to do it. I will definitely try to NOT rush things though, as healing up safely and correctly is most important.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Stitches not out for like 2 weeks (only thing I’m displeased with...may mean more scarring, but then again, my right leg already has the old knee replacement scar so perhaps my bikini modeling days are over (before they ever started for sure).

You can minimize scarring long term if you keep the area out of the sun for one year. 

I work in Rehab and tell all of my patients the same thing, especially after knee or ankle surgery.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, TravelBluebird said:

Just a quick update on my first US doctor appointment.

Got a new splint with some crazy wet glass that molds to your leg in like 20 minutes. Not used to it yet so kinda uncomfortable.  Stitches not out for like 2 weeks (only thing I’m displeased with...may mean more scarring, but then again, my right leg already has the old knee replacement scar so perhaps my bikini modeling days are over (before they ever started for sure).

I'm glad you have stitches instead of staples.  Having stitches removed is pain free, have staples removed is OUCH!

• Like 2

I was boarding Bahamas Paradise two weeks ago and tripped exactly like you did..on the gangway !!! Long story short, shattered my kneecap, pain like no other. Would enjoy comparing stories. I'm 2 weeks post op now, at home. Jane

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nursejane72 said:

I was boarding Bahamas Paradise two weeks ago and tripped exactly like you did..on the gangway !!! Long story short, shattered my kneecap, pain like no other. Would enjoy comparing stories. I'm 2 weeks post op now, at home. Jane

Hope you are feeling better.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nursejane72 said:

Oh no! DM me so we can talk. I hope you are recovering well. 

• Like 1

@nursejane72

I didn’t realize the private messaging feature doesn’t work (never used it!)

I don’t want to share my personal email or facebook ID here, so if you have any ideas how to connect, let me know! And OUCH on your poor knee!  My ankle xrays post-sugery show a lovely assortment of nails and a plate. 

There is a very good chance your US medical plan will pay a portion of the medical bills. Depends on your Blue plan but many cover emergency procedure overseas.  Please call them or have a look at your plan documents.  They obviously require you to pay first and then get reimbursed based on the exchange rate on the day of the procedures.  Good luck with everything.  Glad you’re home safely and recovering.  

Edited by Northhou
  • Like 1