Are there vegan options on the Breakaway?

GSLMOM

We are cruising on the Breakaway in September and are both Vegan/plant based.  Does anyone know if they offer vegan options in the restaurants or have non dairy milk in the buffet?  (We have done many NCL cruises but long before we were vegan and have sailed on other cruise lines that offer vegan options.)

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

NCL is very accommodating for people with dietary concerns. They will always ask if someone has a special need and if something on the menu can be made vegan, they will make it special for you.  They also will give you a menu for the next nights meal and you can choose what you want made vegan and they will have it ready for you.  You just give your waiter your name and they can pull it up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

NCL is very accommodating for people with dietary concerns. They will always ask if someone has a special need and if something on the menu can be made vegan, they will make it special for you.  They also will give you a menu for the next nights meal and you can choose what you want made vegan and they will have it ready for you.  You just give your waiter your name and they can pull it up.  

Thanks for your reply.  That’s exactly what I was hoping. 

NCL is exceptional for accommodating dietary needs.  You can request a meeting with the head chef on day 1 and they will bring menus and provide guidance. 
They have a wonderful selection of Indian dishes in the buffet for lunch and dinner that you might enjoy.

You may find that your protein needs are mot being met as there are not a  lot of options for nuts and seeds.  Sometimes I bring my own protein powder just to get the protein.

36 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

NCL is exceptional for accommodating dietary needs.  You can request a meeting with the head chef on day 1 and they will bring menus and provide guidance. 
They have a wonderful selection of Indian dishes in the buffet for lunch and dinner that you might enjoy.

You may find that your protein needs are mot being met as there are not a  lot of options for nuts and seeds.  Sometimes I bring my own protein powder just to get the protein.

Awesome information. Thanks so much!  Do you know if there is any nondairy milk on board?

38 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Also, how do we get in touch with the head chef?

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Yes, they have soy milk and almond milk on board.  
You can make arrangements for a dietary consult through guest services.

Not too sure about almond milk post pandemic.  We were on the Gem and Getaway.  No almond milk.

48 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Not too sure about almond milk post pandemic.  We were on the Gem and Getaway.  No almond milk.

Did you ask for it?  They don’t put it out.  Best place to ask is by the cereal.

Starbucks also has all the speciality milks (almond, oat, soy) so it is absolutely on board.

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

They can absolutely accommodate a vegan diet!

I really hope you are right because if they can’t, we would cancel. I don’t want to eat in the buffet for 7 straight days!  🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Did you ask for it?  They don’t put it out.  Best place to ask is by the cereal.

Starbucks also has all the speciality milks (almond, oat, soy) so it is absolutely on board.

Yes...

Asked for it multiple times.  I asked at the breakfast buffet.  They used to always have it.  

4 minutes ago, GSLMOM said:

I really hope you are right because if they can’t, we would cancel. I don’t want to eat in the buffet for 7 straight days!  🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Ocean Blue has Cauliflower Steak and it is amazing.  They also have a beet salad appetizer which is YUM!

Teppanyaki has the vegetable teriyaki and the vegetable tofu stir fry.  Just ask the chef to use a different set of tongs so your food doesn’t touch the meat.

Moderno has an outstanding salad bar. When I travel with meat eaters and we go to Cagney’s I arrange ahead of time for my meal to be from the Moderno salad bar.  Lots of legumes available.

The main dining rooms always have vegetarian options that can be made vegan.

La Cucina has two salads for appetizers that can be vegan without the cheese then you can order pasta without cheese or butter.

For breakfast NCL has excellent oatmeal with toppings like apricots, walnuts, raisins and granola. This is available in all breakfast venues but the buffet is a good place to prepare a bowl of munchies for the afternoon.

I am vegetarian but often eat vegan.  I have been on 26 cruises with NCL.  We specifically chose NCL for their ability to accommodate my diet.  For a while I was vegan gluten free and NCL was amazing.  Do not hesitate to ask for what you need.

Just thinking about the desserts, this may be where there are some challenges.  Lots of cream-based items.  If you enjoy fruit there is always a fruit plate to order and it comes with watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe and pineapple.

What do you enjoy for dessert at your home?

Edited by YVRteacher

15 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Ocean Blue has Cauliflower Steak and it is amazing.  They also have a beet salad appetizer which is YUM!

Teppanyaki has the vegetable teriyaki and the vegetable tofu stir fry.  Just ask the chef to use a different set of tongs so your food doesn’t touch the meat.

Moderno has an outstanding salad bar. When I travel with meat eaters and we go to Cagney’s I arrange ahead of time for my meal to be from the Moderno salad bar.  Lots of legumes available.

The main dining rooms always have vegetarian options that can be made vegan.

La Cucina has two salads for appetizers that can be vegan without the cheese then you can order pasta without cheese or butter.

For breakfast NCL has excellent oatmeal with toppings like apricots, walnuts, raisins and granola. This is available in all breakfast venues but the buffet is a good place to prepare a bowl of munchies for the afternoon.

I am vegetarian but often eat vegan.  I have been on 26 cruises with NCL.  We specifically chose NCL for their ability to accommodate my diet.  For a while I was vegan gluten free and NCL was amazing.  Do not hesitate to ask for what you need.

Thanks for this detailed list of options!  It helps a lot. We’ve been on many NCL cruises but weren’t as conscious of our food choices.   I definitely did not know that Ocean Blue  has a cauliflower steak.   I think you’ve helped us to decided to just go and not worry about what the form states.  Thanks so much for taking the time. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention NCL has delicious hummus!  This is served as an appetizer with raw veggies in the main dining room (if it’s not on the menu you can ask for it) and in the buffet at lunch but they don’t have the raw veggies at the buffet.  (Well, they do have a make your own salad station but not sliced crudités.)

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I forgot to mention NCL has delicious hummus!  This is served as an appetizer with raw veggies in the main dining room (if it’s not on the menu you can ask for it) and in the buffet at lunch but they don’t have the raw veggies at the buffet.  (Well, they do have a make your own salad station but not sliced crudités.)

Perfect. We love hummus!

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Just thinking about the desserts, this may be where there are some challenges.  Lots of cream-based items.  If you enjoy fruit there is always a fruit plate to order and it comes with watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe and pineapple.

What do you enjoy for dessert at your home?

We eat a lot of fruit.  For special occasions, I’ll make a vegan cake (and nobody would know it’s vegan).  If I want something sweet that isn’t fruit, I might have an almond milk pudding or a dairy free ice cream.  

We're vegan and will be on the Getaway soon.  We were told their computer system doesn't have a vegan option for them to designate, but they will accommodate.  And, they do have almond milk on the Getaway so I would imagine it's available on other ships. I was told specifically they have almond and soy options.  We're staying in the Haven and will have almond milk in the room fridge for our coffee.  I also spoke to the concierge ahead and gave them plenty of options for snacks for us; hummus with veggies and pita chips, tortilla chips with refried beans and salsa, pretzels, plain or BBQ potato chips, fruit plate, etc.  I've also read lots of posts from other folks who have found many things on menus or at the buffet which were nice options.  I read somewhere they have non-dairy sorbet for a dessert option as well.  I don't think we'll go hungry, but I am taking some hemp hearts to toss on salads in case we do need a little extra something on the dreaded plain garden salad.  😉