MSC Dinner dress code?

LeighDee

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling.

How is town and country still a thing?

And how does that apply to CRUISING?

And how does a restaurant on land have ANY relevance to eating on VACATION on a ship?

So I have a fixed time dining I'll get a crappy table in shorts but a good one in a tux? What happens if on day 1 I'm in a tux and get a good table and then wear shorts the rest of the day?

And why does wearing shorts disrespect the people dressed up, but dressing up doesn't disrespect the people dressing casual?

And how does feeling relaxed and comfortable on MY vacation mean I have no self respect?

Was that article from the 50s?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alyssamma said:

So by that logic when you go to a good restaurant in town you are going on vacation?

Depending on one's day to day life, an evening at a particularly nice restaurant can be as much a respite as a vacation, albeit all too brief.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, no1talks said:

Depending on one's day to day life, an evening at a particularly nice restaurant can be as much a respite as a vacation, albeit all too brief.

So then we agree that going to a restaurant ISN'T a vacation, just gives you some brief relaxation time. Which means we also agree the article is meaningless for a discussion about dress codes on a cruise.

Glad we are on the same page.

8 hours ago, alyssamma said:

How is town and country still a thing?

And how does that apply to CRUISING?

And how does a restaurant on land have ANY relevance to eating on VACATION on a ship?

So I have a fixed time dining I'll get a crappy table in shorts but a good one in a tux? What happens if on day 1 I'm in a tux and get a good table and then wear shorts the rest of the day?

And why does wearing shorts disrespect the people dressed up, but dressing up doesn't disrespect the people dressing casual?

And how does feeling relaxed and comfortable on MY vacation mean I have no self respect?

Was that article from the 50s?

"0 Rezensionen (German),English translation “a review of a situation or system is its formal examination by people in authority” Collins Dictionary

“If you look a mess, you are a mess.

Right or wrong, books are judged by their covers and so are people. It's a scientific fact. Attractive people are considered more intelligent and capable than they really are. On the other hand, unattractive people are thought to be less intelligent and capable than they really are. It's just the way it goes."

21 hours ago, JAGR said:

Well, Perakcruiser is Malaysian, so the German for dress code may not help.

The super hot tropical country where you will be not allowed to enter a public library if you don´t wear long trousers 😄

Where the marshal reminds me at the start of my round of golf to tuck in the collared shirt correctly. Always so shocked when I see Tiger Woods on TV without a real collar, how can they allow him to play, here they would send him off even from the driving range 😄

Just don´t ask MSC to set up and enforce rules for all just because you would like to have it this way. They will ignore you anyway as they do in many other ans probably more important ways. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"0 Rezensionen (German),English translation “a review of a situation or system is its formal examination by people in authority” Collins Dictionary

Right or wrong, books are judged by their covers and so are people. It's a scientific fact. Attractive people are considered more intelligent and capable than they really are. On the other hand, unattractive people are thought to be less intelligent and capable than they really are. It's just the way it goes."

Perhaps if YOU look a mess then you are, but styles vary from country to country, across ages, and across demographics.

Who appointed you or anyone else to be the arbiter or what looks good and what doesn't.

What was in style 20 years ago no longer is. What an Italian man might consider dressy can be completely different from what a black American man considers dressy. Again, who decides that?

Are you saying the black man will think the Italian to be unintelligent and the Italian will.consider the black man to be unintelligent?

If you really look at someone and decide they are unintelligent based on how they look, I feel sorry for you.

However, I do beleive you can judge intelligence based on what people say. It's also a good judge of ignorance.

55 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

And you still haven't said what this has to so with dress codes on a ship.

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Touch a nerve on this board?

Lol, no, dress code convos never do that.

But I guess this reply shows you really have nothing to support your argument...which is good because it makes zero sense.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oxo said:

I am not singingly you out, only using your statement which I find repeated very often as an excuse.

Why do people try to use the excuse of:

'While I understand the very reality of each time more restricted plane luggage free weight allowance which is what is really the culprit of those so many dress code CC threads, IMHO, on the other hand, that is really a question of setting on appropriately to the place in question's normalcy expectations. '

Are you not allowed up to 50 lbs per bag? If you don't check in a bag, then you use a carry on. OK, if you only bring a carry on I can understand the lack of clothes.

We can get a gown and suit in a 50lb bag for a 7 day cruise. We no longer bring a tux for me, but still bring a suit.

Do we mind those that dress in a nice shirt and slacks? No, it is their cruise and they can dress within reason how they like.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

Hi! Assuming you're American, I must say I don't really know how the air industry is going there. I just assume it is going quite similar to Europe.

And to answer directly your question underlined in red: No, I most likely may not be. Not so long ago, unless you went with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet for "domestic" EU flights, one could very well to afford a 23Kg checked bag per passenger. Some companies like my own country's TAP Air Portugal used to "close their eyes" if you went with say 24-26Kg. Depending on your fidelity membership status that could even go trough some nice 32Kg, depending on your flight. Now? It's a hard line 20Kg per passenger, if you purchase full ticket, at best. Sooner rather than later full ticket will be an exclusive for Economy+ and Executive, and, let's see how the T&C's evolve... Below that or say, in "steerage" you either way go with a carry on or pay apart for the convenience... And it's not cheap by any means!... That trend started from 2015 onward and yes, it impacts on what one is able to dress at holidays. The lighter, the better. Would I like to have this differently? Surely! But I need to live with what I can afford. Extra luggage weigh aboard a flight is becoming pretty much a luxury, so either way: Go with the flow, no travel, or find a nearby port reachable by land and go!... Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras

21 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Going to dinner at any day on a cruise ship is for me like going for dinner at a good restaurant in town

I agree, but only one restaurant in my (large) city has any "formal" dress restrictions, and it is just a jacket.  I see people dropping $300+ per person at nice steakhouses in athletic shorts and sneakers (the dominant level of formality, except for couples on dates).  No one cares.  Part of the dispute here is undoubtedly cultural.  I have see graphic T-shirts with expletives on them right next to full-length fur coats at the opera.

• Like 2

Just Wow!

The gall of some folks never ceases to shock!

Reminds me of the caricature of this type of "arrogant social twit sailing passenger" of Thurston Howell III, from the american TV show Gillian's Island.

Wear what you want and speak the language of your choice...it is your cruise holiday not these other peoples'.

As to the uneducated/bigoted comment on the intelligence of attractive people; that just BS!

This mindset can only come with a person that is not intelligent.

I work in science and the vast majority have hair like Einstein and dress like Madame Curie under their lab PPE. Most have PhDs and are solving world health issues...

Geez, get over yourselves and enjoy the cruise holiday and stop worrying about 'other people'.

Cheers!

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 7:52 PM, neptuno said:

One would hope that those who choose to ignore the dress code and wear shorts to dinner,  would politely choose to dine in the buffet, out of respect for the guests in the main dining room.

Harrumph!!!

How rude that you suggest this!

Who appointed other passengers as fashion police? Next you want to see the labels in my apparel?

"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NMsunset said:

"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time."

I knew you were a knight!  Hopefully not French!  Great line from a great movie!

These latest salvos got me thinking about my grad school days at UNM.  While I was there, there was a big movement on trying to clean up Albuquerque's image.  It seemed the strongest comments came from the NE quadrant complaining about the SE.  In a way, very much like the dress pants crowd against the blue jeans and shorts people.

Edited by JAGR

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

Hi! Assuming you're American, I must say I don't really know how the air industry is going there. I just assume it is going quite similar to Europe.

And to answer directly your question underlined in red: No, I most likely may not be. Not so long ago, unless you went with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet for "domestic" EU flights, one could very well to afford a 23Kg checked bag per passenger. Some companies like my own country's TAP Air Portugal used to "close their eyes" if you went with say 24-26Kg. Depending on your fidelity membership status that could even go trough some nice 32Kg, depending on your flight. Now? It's a hard line 20Kg per passenger, if you purchase full ticket, at best. Sooner rather than later full ticket will be an exclusive for Economy+ and Executive, and, let's see how the T&C's evolve... Below that or say, in "steerage" you either way go with a carry on or pay apart for the convenience... And it's not cheap by any means!... That trend started from 2015 onward and yes, it impacts on what one is able to dress at holidays. The lighter, the better. Would I like to have this differently? Surely! But I need to live with what I can afford. Extra luggage weigh aboard a flight is becoming pretty much a luxury, so either way: Go with the flow, no travel, or find a nearby port reachable by land and go!... Have a nice day!...

OK, I am using my examples and addressing those in the USA who travel and are allowed 50lbs/bag. Like I said, I never have a problem getting all my clothes including a suit into my check-in and under 50lbs. 

Dress as they like, I like to dress as I like. 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You sir are a mind reader. I was just thinking of today's cruisers as those sitting around a campfire eating franks and beans in "Blazing Saddles". "Do I hear another Harrumph ?"

Lol, you are a funny troll...but I do think you beleive a lot of the stuff you post which is just sad.

But since you like blazing saddles  how about this...long pants? We don't need no stinking long pants.

• Like 1