Understanding why there are differences in cruise prices

sjinnj

So, I am looking at cruises on the Norwegian Joy.  If I went on the July 10-17, 2022, cruise an interior room would be $649 before all the extras, if I did the same exact cruise on the same ships 1 year later July 9-16, 2023, the price shows as $999.  Can someone explain why the difference in price?  I would honestly think the cruise this year would be more expensive.  Perhaps I am missing something.  Thanks.

The cruise lines work similarly to many other travel businesses (hotels, flights etc).

They release prices quite a way out and then they prices fluctuate based on how well they are selling. If they are selling well then the prices will rise, sometimes significantly, such as has happened with the early Prima sailings (currently more than double what those of us who booked early paid).

If a ship isn’t selling well then they will reduce prices to try to fill it up. After final payment you can sometimes see significant price reductions, as the option to cancel and rebook has gone by then.

Historically, we have always done well by booking early as we sail at relatively busy times and the price has almost always risen. However, because of covid many ships are currently sailing only around half full, so there are incredible deals available if you can wait,

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

There's an unspoken bell curve. If you book super early you tend to get low prices, then as time goes on the prices go up until they're crazy expensive and everyone is complaining. As it gets closer to sail date, you start to dip down on the other half of the curve and prices come down while they try to fill up rooms. 

I've found the best deals by booking very very early or very very late. If it's a trip that also needs airfare, it gets hard to jump on those last minute deals as the savings in cabin are offset by the price hikes in the last minute air bookings.

But generally speaking - supply and demand. If there's a lot of unsold cabins, the price will come down. If there's not a lot of cabins to be found (look at early Prima sailings), the price will stay high.

I noticed the same thing and due to the insane price increases for next year it has made me to jump ship to a different cruise line now. 

it seems like ncl wants to go back to pre-pandemic pricing for next year