WHAT TO DO IN DUTCH HARBOR, ALASKA

mrstanley

We were there in May 2019 on the Mariner's Tokyo to Vancouver. We did pretty much like the video. We had a nice day. We saw a LOT MORE eagles - mostly juveniles. The Ship Supply Store was amazing in its variety. Small craft sales in the big hotel. Fun to talk to locals.

We were on the same cruise as @DeepFreeze63 and spent a very enjoyable day in Dutch Harbor. The people were charming and we just had fun pottering about.  As always, I blogged about our day here if you are interested - note the title "A Special Place" which probably gives a clue about how we felt.

Just one observation: the weather was kind to us.  If it were pouring with rain or blowing a hooley, you might not feel quite the same 😎

(Actually, on a closer look, most of the details are in the next blogpost to the one linked above - sorry)

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 1

There is a small museum mostly about WWII that is interesting.  My husband's uncle was stationed there, so that was of interest to him.  Highly recommend a visit to the ships supply store as the prices are actually very good for outdoor stuff.  I bought new water proof pants and jacket. Also lots of eagles to see. 

13 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Get a job on a crab boat...

Seriously!  I have only heard of Dutch Harbor from watching (guilty pleasure) "Deadliest Catch".  Personally I would be looking for a tour of a crab boat or at least something that would be talking about (or reenacting) the crab fishing.

RachelG and CruzC2C:  

Spouse and I will, hopefully, be visiting Dutch Harbor in late September, 2023 when aboard an Explorer segment from Vancouver, BC to Tokyo.  

My wife's step-mother was an Army Air Force Flight Nurse during WWII.  Captain--and then Major--Gladys spent considerable time at Dutch Harbor and Anchorage caring for soldiers evacuated as casualties from Attu during phases of that May, 1943 battle.  She noted most suffered from frostbite and dehydration.  Miserable conditions at Attu.  Gladys then accompanied the most-seriously wounded on transport aircraft converted into aerial hospital wards on flights from Anchorage to Seattle; then land transport to Madigan Hospital, Ft. Lewis, WA.  (Now, Joint Base Lewis-McChord.)

Fortunately, Japanese units evacuated Kiska in late July, 1943 a few days before American and Canadian forces landed to retake that island.  Result:  few casualties.  Gladys also noted significant improvements were constantly being made to better-equip our troops to deal with the Aleutian climate. 

Certainly plan a visit to the military museum in 2023. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1