Positive For Covid on Viking

wearereadytogo

On 5/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, millybess said:

On Jupiter now and we put each tube in a “resealable” (sometimes not so much) bag and those two bags go outside the door sometime between 9pm and 8am. There was yet another mix up on our deck last night and that’s just the only one we heard about because we happened to hear the cabin occupants speaking with the attendant as we were passing by. 

Before joining the ship, we very much supported the idea of daily testing, but since being on board and watching the chaotic implementation, we think it’s not only ineffective,  but detrimental. 

If a person tests positive, do they re-test to control for a false positive or a lab mix-up?

Suggest Viking should let those of us who test +  stay aboard under the condition that we wear white N95 masks that have UNCLEAN! on them in red letters & sit at an isolated dinner table with the same label.  No?

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Suggest Viking should let those of us who test +  stay aboard under the condition that we wear white N95 masks that have UNCLEAN! on them in red letters & sit at an isolated dinner table with the same label.  No?

Weren't they branded?  😱

4 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Don’t forget the bell. Gotta make them wear a bell, too. 🔔

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, KJnO said:

If a person tests positive, do they re-test to control for a false positive or a lab mix-up?

Over on the site that must not be named, the general consensus is not really. If you test positive once, you’re immediately quarantined off the ship (River) or on the ship (Ocean). For River, you’re pretty much done with the cruise at that point. For Ocean, you continue to get tested onboard each day, but aside from that things seem to vary depending on the cruise. The minimum time in quarantine appears to be five days, no matter how you test after that initial positive. 

This is all just anecdotal. But far as I know, Viking hasn’t stated specifics about their quarantine policies. So anecdotal is what we’ve got.

Edited by Twitchly

11 hours ago, philw1776 said:

We walked those stairs in Dubrovnik last week, but we were clothed.  SHAME, SHAME, SHAME 

• Haha 5

"Just asking for a friend."😉

So on VO, once the cruise has begun, what happens if only one of the couple in the stateroom tests positive for Covid? Is the positive person required to move or are you given the option to quarantine in your booked room.  If allowed to remain together, is the other person allowed to come and go as normal? 

Is the positive person required to move to quarantine in a comparable (or random available) stateroom? How do they monitor a quarantined passenger to ensure they stay in the room?

Thank you!

On the Jupiter from late Feb to early May.  If you tested positive you would have to move to the quarantined section of the ship ( deck 3 forward) spouse could move with you and also be quarantined or go about daily shipboard life in their original cabin.  This was after we stopped using our trackers.  I am a bit vague about negative "contacts" while we were using trackers.  Things may be different now. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, deec said:

I am a bit vague about negative "contacts" while we were using trackers.  Things may be different now

A little more live from the Viking Mars: No trackers are being used so contacts are more difficult to identify. When we were completing a shore excursion, the guide came to each guest on the bus to confirm names and obtain room numbers. It turned out that morning testing results of one of the guests on the tour came back potentially positive, and the information was requested by Viking to notify contacts if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do read many different stories of Covid positive on ocean and many different ways the ship deals with those passengers. 
My first hand experience here on Orion~ Alaska 

We boarded on the 23rd around 11: 30 with many line ups and finally got on an hour later and were stopped to do spit test because of a delayed disembark.   We were all directed to go have lunch until our rooms were ready. Once in our rooms we unpacked and then the phone rang around 5 ish. DR saying my DH tested positive! We had done a test the night before at our Hotel in Vancouver. Negative! 
So our option was to flee~ or stay put? For 10/days quarantine. We know 5/days in Canada so said we would go! Well~ because we received result so late and we’re leaving the dock they did try and get customs to come back and take us because we are Canadian and still in Canada. 2hrs waiting in the bay so we had to stay on. Guest services did look into Ketchikan to disembark but were told no positive passengers. So here we are 4 days in with no symptoms.  We both had nasal test given by a nurse the 2nd day that concluded I had tested positive also. Our stateroom attendant has been fabulous. I have been leaving sticky notes for towels and sheets along with cleaning supplies. They said no to the vacuum! Lol. Apparently we are still in 2019 and they would have to disinfect it! The food has been great and yes they did let us order from Manfredis which is always a treat! 

There are I hear 6 rooms in quarantine as of day 2. With more to come as the trip continues because people are off the ship or already infected and not positive yet.  We see no masks from our balcony going on excursions and that first day they had all of us in the World Cafe for over an hour and lots of people had no mask roaming around there and the bar. While they did say we should keep  masks on until we leave dock. 
We have contacted Trip Mate and they have confirmed that our entire trip was interrupted. They said make sure that we have all our Covid Documents and record of quarantine signed by the lab doctor. 

We also heard that over 60 passengers and staff  from last week were positive and quarantined.  

Passing my days reading and doing Yoga! Except they would not give me a mat to use.  DH is gym guy. We travel with bands that we purchased in Canada when our gyms were closed down for 2 years!  He uses them in the gym in hotels ~ Door knob is working well here.  

Final note~ all our excursions were deleted from our account on the second day and show as credit voucher. I had booked a couple of spa treatments that show as appointments on my calendar until you actually pay at the time of treatment service so no issue with them. 

let me know if you have any questions ~ I have lots of time to reply! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear it, Rotonda. Glad you’re symptom-free. And glad Trip Mate will consider your onboard quarantine to be a trip interruption. Our insurance company won’t.

Did you get moved to another room, or are you still in your initial one?

I don’t understand why Customs has to get involved with disembarking Canadians into Canada. Must be some maritime law thing. 

Just now, Twitchly said:

Sorry to hear it, Rotonda. Glad you’re symptom-free. And glad Trip Mate will consider your onboard quarantine to be a trip interruption. Our insurance company won’t.

I don’t understand why Customs has to get involved with disembarking Canadians into Canada. Must be some maritime law thing. 

Just now, Twitchly said:

Still in initial room I think because they thought they could get us off in Ketchikan? Not sure if that was lip service. Must have known from previous trip. 
Oh~ and we sat out in the bay for 2 hours. We were ready to go just as the ropes were being let off. They told us a tender was possible then the call came later no one was available at the terminal to greet us.

38 minutes ago, ROTONDA said:

I do read many different stories of Covid positive on ocean and many different ways the ship deals with those passengers. 

We boarded on the 23rd around 11: 30 with many line ups and finally got on an hour later and were stopped to do spit test because of a delayed disembark.   We were all directed to go have lunch until our rooms were ready. Once in our rooms we unpacked and then the phone rang around 5 ish. DR saying my DH tested positive! We had done a test the night before at our Hotel in Vancouver. Negative! 
So our option was to flee~ or stay put? For 10/days quarantine. We know 5/days in Canada so said we would go! Well~ because we received result so late and we’re leaving the dock they did try and get customs to come back and take us because we are Canadian and still in Canada. 2hrs waiting in the bay so we had to stay on. Guest services did look into Ketchikan to disembark but were told no positive passengers. So here we are 4 days in with no symptoms.  We both had nasal test given by a nurse the 2nd day that concluded I had tested positive also. Our stateroom attendant has been fabulous. I have been leaving sticky notes for towels and sheets along with cleaning supplies. They said no to the vacuum! Lol. Apparently we are still in 2019 and they would have to disinfect it! The food has been great and yes they did let us order from Manfredis which is always a treat! 

There are I hear 6 rooms in quarantine as of day 2. With more to come as the trip continues because people are off the ship or already infected and not positive yet.  We see no masks from our balcony going on excursions and that first day they had all of us in the World Cafe for over an hour and lots of people had no mask roaming around there and the bar. While they did say we should keep  masks on until we leave dock. 
We have contacted Trip Mate and they have confirmed that our entire trip was interrupted. They said make sure that we have all our Covid Documents and record of quarantine signed by the lab doctor. 

We also heard that over 60 passengers and staff  from last week were positive and quarantined.  

Passing my days reading and doing Yoga! Except they would not give me a mat to use.  DH is gym guy. We travel with bands that we purchased in Canada when our gyms were closed down for 2 years!  He uses them in the gym in hotels ~ Door knob is working well here.  

Final note~ all our excursions were deleted from our account on the second day and show as credit voucher. I had booked a couple of spa treatments that show as appointments on my calendar until you actually pay at the time of treatment service so no issue with them. 

Sorry for your bad luck, and glad to see you are doing well and will get some resolution to ease the loss of real vacation. If I may ask, is this your first positive test/infection? I have been (and am) curious if the positive tests that are being seen on cruises are people's first encounter with Covid.

Yes~ our 1st positive test. We spend our winters in Florida where we test to come back and forth to Ontario. We haven’t been sick at all the past 2 years. We have stayed safe in both countries. We actually both thought since we had gone this long we might have already had it and never came up for boarder travel ~ that is 2 tests a year. We stayed in a hotel in Vancouver for 5 days, so that could be the culprit? We wore our masks and they had sanitizer and all the staff in the Fairmount wore masks. But~ lots of guests didn’t. I met a couple in the terminal that had to show prove of recovery via Drs note. They had COVID in April and they would still be flagged by PCR test. I only know of people who are not vaccinated getting COVID again. That was in Florida during the winter. 

23 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Sorry for your bad luck, and glad to see you are doing well and will get some resolution to ease the loss of real vacation. If I may ask, is this your first positive test/infection? I have been (and am) curious if the positive tests that are being seen on cruises are people's first encounter with Covid.

That’s a good question. I wonder the same.

I know people who have gotten it more than once. But on the other hand, DH — who got Covid at the very beginning — hasn’t gotten it again in spite of treating Covid patients, attending the same events I did where 30+ people got it (including me), and not distancing from me at all when I had it a few weeks ago. 

On the other other hand, if we’d been testing every day a la Viking, maybe we would’ve discovered otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

In Vancouver Cruise Terminal, you pass through US Immigration prior to boarding the vessel, so although the ship is in Canadian Waters, all pax and crew are effectively considered to be in the US. It is the same situation at Vancouver Airport, when flying into the US, you actually enter the US in Vancouver.

Once aboard the ship, if you wish to go ashore, you must pass through Canadian Immigration and then to reboard, pass through US Immigration.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ROTONDA said:

Still in initial room I think because they thought they could get us off in Ketchikan? Not sure if that was lip service. Must have known from previous trip. 
Oh~ and we sat out in the bay for 2 hours. We were ready to go just as the ropes were being let off. They told us a tender was possible then the call came later no one was available at the terminal to greet us.

It's very interesting that you were allowed to stay in your cabin. When we were on Orion quarantine was Deck 3 forward port side with a door blocking it off (no, we didn't have to experience it.) Since the recommendation from the CDC for quarantine in the US is 5 days, will they let you out then?

No one has said anything to us about 5 days. The first day when my husband tested positive the Dr said he was 10 days and I would be 5 days  if I stay negative 

Guest services has not called us except 2nd day while on sea day to let us know we would not disembark in Ketchikan. 

Quarantine in separate rooms was not needed~ we were at the hotel in Vancouver for 5 days in a small room so I chose to stay with him. We are both fine! No symptoms. 

• Like 2

It's still so interesting that you are staying in the same cabin. First I've heard of that. We were on Orion a month and never heard of anyone able to quarantine in their cabin. And, they've always said that the 10 day quarantine was due to....I don't know what, local rules? CDC? don't understand....but the CDC in US is 5 day quarantine and then mask regardless of positive or not. I'm not saying that I agree with it, I'm saying what the CDC says on their website. It's just so confusing what happens on different voyages.

• Like 1

Stretchcruz~ I have also questioned and found almost everything Covid related interesting and ever changing since March 2020 After this 10 days our total days in quarantine since March 2020  will 40 days! Canadian government had us quarantine in our house 2020 after government request to come home and 2021 upon returning from Florida even vaccinated. Many but not all  people had calls and visits from officials to make sure they were home. Our rules were finally lifted when over 85 % of people were fully vaccinated. Just the ever changing world we live in today~ 

covid is here to stay we just have to adjust to the waves of changes going forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

It's still so interesting that you are staying in the same cabin. First I've heard of that. We were on Orion a month and never heard of anyone able to quarantine in their cabin. And, they've always said that the 10 day quarantine was due to....I don't know what, local rules? CDC? don't understand....but the CDC in US is 5 day quarantine and then mask regardless of positive or not. I'm not saying that I agree with it, I'm saying what the CDC says on their website. It's just so confusing what happens on different voyages.

Viking covid rules don't follow those of the countries on the itinerary. They insist on testing and quarantine when the countries don't require any testing for entry or at all, and only require self isolation by social distancing. They seem stuck in the days of pre Omicron, pre vaccine panic. 

If a country on the itineraries rules or no easy access to a hospital ashore necessitate testing/covid jail, then of course we all have to deal with it, but at the moment there's not even the option to swap itineraries to avoid the risk of a ruined holiday. 

• Like 7

On 5/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, ROTONDA said:

I'm sorry to hear you are in quarantine.  This is my biggest fear for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Is your excursion credit voucher good toward a future cruise or actual money back?

Have you been able to enjoy some scenery from your balcony?

Edited by SailingDeb2001
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, ROTONDA said:

What does Trip Mate mean when they say your whole trip was interrupted? Since this started on the first day, what kind of claim will they be processing - trip cancellation for reimbursement of the entire trip or trip interruption which will cover the unused days?

Edited by Babr