Live from Royal Princess sailing May 2, 2022 for 12 nights rountrip from Vancouver to Alaska

lks

On 5/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, lks said:

Last night for dinner I had the pork shoulder. The right shoulder as the pig was left handed. It was very good.

Wondering if the Symphony is open for dining. Had it scheduled on my Medallion app but now has disappeared. The other dining reservations are still present for Allegro and Concerto. Will be on Royal in 3 weeks. Thanks.

6 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

the paper we received informing us of testing from Noon to 6 pm tomorrow (Victoria, BC port stop) also mentioned that complimentary testing will be held at disembarkation at the Pan Pacific hotel. They noted shoreside staff would have specifics on this. 

I somehow suspect that some of the flight arrangements made months ago are not late enough to allow the Pan Pacific Hotel testing.

Also, I question waiting for shoreside staff to answer such questions as:

a) What do I do with my luggage? Can I leave it at the cruise terminal while I go to the hotel to be tested or do I have to bring it with me?

b) I have booked a Princess transfer to the airport. Will this now depart from the hotel after test results are in?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, caribill said:

I somehow suspect that some of the flight arrangements made months ago are not late enough to allow the Pan Pacific Hotel testing.

Also, I question waiting for shoreside staff to answer such questions as:

a) What do I do with my luggage? Can I leave it at the cruise terminal while I go to the hotel to be tested or do I have to bring it with me?

b) I have booked a Princess transfer to the airport. Will this now depart from the hotel after test results are in?

So many unanswered questions.  I am so sorry Princess is making you wait and see.  Again, changes seem to be randomly applied.  Why, all of a sudden, are there so many "new" policies?

On 5/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, Analise said:

COVID TESTING INFORMATION

Just spoke to a Princess rep who, at my request, confirmed the following information with her supervisor:

1) The email sent informing travelers Princess will no longer give Covid tests to disembarking passengers did not mention reimbursement; however, the website does. Princess has left passengers to fend for themselves regarding how to get tested but they are trying to help as much as possible. To be reimbursed for Covid testing needed to fly back to USA, go to princess.com/refund-request  You will need to upload a pdf or jpeg of the receipt. (Take a photo of receipt with your phone and send as jpeg or save emailed receipt as pdf)

2) It has been frequently reported that Internet is slow or not working on the Royal Princess. So, if you have brought with you the Covid tests that need to be observed online, make an appointment at the ship's Health Center and a medical employee will be the "observer" and will give you written proof needed to board your flight to USA.

We will be on the June 11-25 voyage, RT from Vancouver so I needed to get clear information. I appreciate the insights and details of the challenges and highlights from fellow cruisers.

Following is from a Princess webinar yesterday:

30 Slide 003a.jpg

30 Slide 004a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

30 Slide 003a.jpg

30 Slide 004a.jpg

It looks like the language that says they would cover the costs of tests for those flying on the day of disembarkation has disappeared. Do you know if they are no longer going to cover (as previously stated on the web-site that they would) or if this is just an omission?

35 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

It looks like the language that says they would cover the costs of tests for those flying on the day of disembarkation has disappeared. Do you know if they are no longer going to cover (as previously stated on the web-site that they would) or if this is just an omission?

No idea if the web site info is accurate or inaccurate. But this slide definitely says (rightly or wrongly) the test cost is the responsibility of the passenger. Treatment cost will be reimbursed by Princess.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

30 Slide 003a.jpg

30 Slide 004a.jpg

Does this mean  reimbursement only if positive while you are still a passenger on disembarkation day, because once you step off the ship you are  no longer a passenger. Why do test at airport because you, no longer a passenger, would be on your own if you tested positive? The above excerpt says test while onboard, but its first recommendation is to be tested at the airport. To me, it looks like they want you off the ship so if you test positive, you are no longer Princess' problem. We tried to make appointment at airport as Plan B (in case ship's Wi-Fi was down) but no times were  available to give us enough time to get through security and customs to make our flight.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

I got on Princess website and filed for a reimbursement for the COVID test needed to fly back into USA. Written response from Princess said it would take 4-6 weeks to process it.

39 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

I got on Princess website and filed for a reimbursement for the COVID test needed to fly back into USA. Written response from Princess said it would take 4-6 weeks to process it.

I did the same yesterday.  Did you get an an emailed response back from Princess?

47 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

6 minutes ago, Gramma of Boys said:

I did the same yesterday.  Did you get an an emailed response back from Princess?

I would think after they see from what port that you are requesting the reimbursement from,  they might decline you. Fingers crossed for you that they do receive it. 

54 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

5 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I would think after they see from what port that you are requesting the reimbursement from,  they might decline you. Fingers crossed for you that they do receive it. 

I think they might refer everyone back to this…it is fairly clear that Canada is “noted”, I have no idea why though, it doesn’t seem fair. 

Unless otherwise noted, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of tests, provided guests can show proof that their flight arrangements are the same day as they disembark the ship. Guests will need to make their own test arrangements if onward travel is not the day they disembark.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. If departing Canada by air, guests are highly encouraged to pre-reserve COVID-19 testing appointments at the Vancouver or Quebec airport in advance. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

1 hour ago, travelbuds said:

Did you file in advance of your cruise?

On 5/3/2022 at 6:51 AM, lks said:

Yes everyone had to fill in the arrivecan app before boarding. Being in Club Class we had a priority area that we sat in before boarding. Boarding was a bit weird though as their was no announcement. As we were seated there was Princess staff going around helping people do the arrivecan app who didn't do it before arriving at the terminal like we did. We noticed people randomly getting up and going to board the ship so we followed and boarded. Maybe because we had pre done the app we didn't have to sit but just board the ship? We'll never know for sure.

Not sure why you had to fill in the arrive can app. Your suppose to fill that in 72hrs before you come into Canada. You were already in Canada, leaving for the U.S. Don't understand this.

Passengers with direct to Vancouver airport transfers are being tested in the Vista lounge today, provided by Princess.

The arrive Can requirement has been an exercise in redundancy. We flew into Vancouver from the U.S. Our arrive Can was completed ahead of time and was presented at the airport for approval. 

When we were checking in for embarkation in Vancouver, we were told that we needed to fill out a new arrive Can prior to boarding. Ok. We did, but nobody asked to see it as we boarded

Before our arrival in Victoria today, we were told that we needed to fill out yet another arrive Can update. OK. Nobody asked to see it today when we left the ship to visit Victoria.

Curious to see if we will need to provide it again tomorrow in Vancouver. We are on a Princess transfer direct to the airport. An arrive Can learning curve for the cruise industry?

It has been a great cruise. Some restart hiccups. Crew has been stellar. 

• Like 2

The authorities don’t need your ArriveCAN app or receipt to see the information provided.  It’s linked to your travel document so it can be viewed from, say, manifest data.  Date+port+entry documentID (passport number, NEXUS card, etc) is a combination that limits authorised users to see the data they need to perform their job duties.

I don’t have to “show” anything at the land crossings but there would be Hades to pay if I approached the border without making a new submission. 

52 minutes ago, enfuego4cruising said:

...When we were checking in for embarkation in Vancouver, we were told that we needed to fill out a new arrive Can prior to boarding. Ok. We did, but nobody asked to see it as we boarded

Before our arrival in Victoria today, we were told that we needed to fill out yet another arrive Can update. OK. Nobody asked to see it today when we left the ship to visit Victoria.

...An arrive Can learning curve for the cruise industry?

12 day RT? Then yes, you DID need to complete the second ArriveCAN - because you were indeed Arriving in CANada as the name suggests after visiting US ports on the cruise! Cruises have various special rules - since everyone who gets on travels together until the end of the cruise, you get to skip the 72 hour thing - everyone who gets on at the start is expected to return at the end.

The third entry was probably unnecessary - there has been confusion on all sides about getting ArriveCAN done before embarkation rather than doing it onboard, witness Carnivals fine for doing the latter with pax on RT Seattle which has been mentioned on Ferry_Watcher's thread over on West Coast Dpeartures! Or it might have been legit, to fix problems because pax had entered Vancouver as their arrival port originally during embarkation but the actual Port of Entry was Victoria?

Definitely each cruise, or rather each type of cruise, has been a learning experience for all involved! I'm still waiting to see actual reports from folks who have booked a B2B Northbound 1st combo confirming if they are being forced to do ArriveCAN at embarkation for their return 2 weeks later, or if they have to do it during turnaround in AK, or if both are acceptable to CBSA...

2 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

Not sure why you had to fill in the arrive can app. Your suppose to fill that in 72hrs before you come into Canada. You were already in Canada, leaving for the U.S. Don't understand this.

You are incorrect. the "second" ArriveCan is in respect to your return to Canada after being in Alaska. That ArriveCAN can be submitted within 72 hours of boarding a ship in Canada ( this changed April 25).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

I am only explaining my experience! Please direct your comments to princess or check out the Canadian website. I do know that because we had done our arrive can app, we by-passed a bunch of people and boarded the ship before a bunch of people who didn't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1