Is Food THAT bad?

11 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

The escargot at the Bistro Sur La Mer on the Enchanted was very different from the MDR version. Rolled in a panko bread shell

Hmmm....they manage to defeat the only function of escargot. 😉

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Agree.

But each individual can compare what his/her taste buds told them before the pandemic compared to what those taste buds tell them now.

Not necessarily as sense of taste can permanently change if one has been infected by Covid-19.

• Like 3

I suspect there are several issues involved in the quality of food since the restart.

A percentage of the old galley crew have not returned to the fleet and the new replacements are still learning how to prepare the dishes.

Some of the Executive Chefs have not returned to the ships. For example it appears that the long time Executive Chef of the Grand Princess is now running his own restaurant in the Philippines.  He was considered one of the best in the fleet.

The over all head of Princess kitchen service has changed to chef Rudi Sodamin brought in from Holland America Line. This will result in changes in the how dishes are prepared and changes in menu.  It is my understanding John Padgett was involved in the decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I suspect there are several issues involved in the quality of food since the restart.

A percentage of the old galley crew have not returned to the fleet and the new replacements are still learning how to prepare the dishes.

Some of the Executive Chefs have not returned to the ships. For example it appears that the long time Executive Chef of the Grand Princess is now running his own restaurant in the Philippines.  He was considered one of the best in the fleet.

The over all head of Princess kitchen service has changed to chef Rudi Sodamin brought in from Holland America Line. This will result in changes in the how dishes are prepared and changes in menu.  It is my understanding John Padgett was involved in the decision.

I hope it involves a lot of menu changes. I think the menu is very odd and miss having beef on the menu.  In 15 days there was beef maybe 4 times.  One was the awful prime rib cut paper thin. 

Just now, jeno said:

I hope it involves a lot of menu changes. I think the menu is very odd and miss having beef on the menu.  In 15 days there was beef maybe 4 times.  One was the awful prime rib cut paper thin. 

I saw a video of Rudi Sodamin demonstrating cooking. Everything he produced was burnt and he thought that was great, so I hope there are no menu changes that involve his enthusiasm for burnt food.

Regarding the prime rib which ship and out of which port was it sailing?

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I saw a video of Rudi Sodamin demonstrating cooking. Everything he produced was burnt and he thought that was great, so I hope there are no menu changes that involve his enthusiasm for burnt food.

Emerald from LA to FLL.  Food was pretty bad the entire time.  Servers worked their hearts out but didn’t have much to work with. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jeno said:

Emerald from LA to FLL.  Food was pretty bad the entire time.  Servers worked their hearts out but didn’t have much to work with. 

Did you bring up your concerns with the head waiter?

Did you mention your concerns in the after cruise survey?

Just now, brisalta said:

Did you bring up your concerns with the head waiter?

Did you mention your concerns in the after cruise survey?

Absolutely! Our entire table did.  Several times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

You last sentence says it all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I planned to go to Harmony but after the original menu was changed to this new menu which is more like Panda Express we decided to skip it.

image.thumb.jpeg.e851dae799de432c89ef7c13ab90a226.jpeg

Panda Express is better 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If I can't smell the garlic before the dish arrives at the table, then there is not enough garlic !  

That wonderful smell of garlic from the Penne Arrabbiata is now gone…it went from headwaiters preparing it in the dining room, to the galley, to no longer served! 😟 

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

I'm glad, I always have preferred HAL's food to Princess!

There was penne arrabbiata as a quasi-live station at the buffet on the Majestic... it had an absurd amount of garlic in it. (As it should!) Too bad that the noodles were overcooked into oblivion though, probably from sitting there for half an hour before I got to it.

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

Our prime rib was on the Discovery March 27 Mexican Riviera cruise--the inaugural.  We knew there would be glitches, which there were, but buying decent beef should not be a glitch!

The Royal class is currently the newest set of ships (Sphere is supposed to debut in 2023, I think), and of them, the Majestic sits squarely in the middle (including the one built for P&O) at 2017. If you ignore the two years off off-time for COVID, it's really only seen three years of action, which makes it pretty new.

Compare it to the Grand Princess, which is one of, if not the, oldest ship in the Princess fleet, launching in 1998.

• Like 1

As others have said before me, food is subjective.  So, here is my story for your entertainment.

In 1966 my favorite uncle, Sam that is,  provided me an all expense paid trip to a foreign land. That trip of course included meals.  Which were served to us in in small cans contained in a card board box which were eaten cold. 

One night I checked the date of manufacture on the included can opener.  It said 1955. 😝 

So, on a cruise ship if a waiter sets down a plate in front of me and the contents are burned on the bottom and cold on top I will not complain.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I've been sailing Princess for 30 years & am now a confirmed Viking Ocean "loyalist". On our recent Discovery Princess cruise the MDR food was a standout win. Ticked all the boxes for me in variety, plated presentation, temperature, & flavor. The Marketplace & Sabatini's were equally delightful. To be honest I think the MDR food on Princess is of the same standard as Viking Ocean but with smaller portion size. I miss the era on Princess with the table side salad, steak, & dessert preparation on the cart. 

4 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Our prime rib was on the Discovery March 27 Mexican Riviera cruise--the inaugural.  We knew there would be glitches, which there were, but buying decent beef should not be a glitch!

You are ignoring several facts.

The supply chain for products including beef is still problematic.

There has been consolidation of meat packers who are now concentrating on exporting beef to maximize profit and thus it is not available for sale in the US market place.

• Like 3