Is Food THAT bad?

I've read tons of things here about Princess food being bad but now I'm more worried.  Someone I booked tranportation for in Alaska has recommended to me to eat lunch at my hotel before getting on the cruise because then I will have bad food for a week.  She's been hearing how it's bad except in the specialty restaurants.  Hmmm.....I am not in the least bit picky but I want food that is at least decent.  What are my best bets if I want to stick to the "free" foods?  I am planning to eat dinner in the MDR at least sometimes b/c of my group which is booked together but I don't have to eat with them all the time.  I am thinking of trying Crown Grill.

2 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I've read tons of things here about Princess food being bad but now I'm more worried.  Someone I booked tranportation for in Alaska has recommended to me to eat lunch at my hotel before getting on the cruise because then I will have bad food for a week.  She's been hearing how it's bad except in the specialty restaurants.  Hmmm.....I am not in the least bit picky but I want food that is at least decent.  What are my best bets if I want to stick to the "free" foods?  I am planning to eat dinner in the MDR at least sometimes b/c of my group which is booked together but I don't have to eat with them all the time.  I am thinking of trying Crown Grill.

We haven't been on on one in a while, but have never had a complaint about the food, other than making me gain weight. We tried the Crown grill last cruise and it was nice, but I hate having to pay extra for meals.

• Like 3

Agree with suekel. On Majestic April 2-9 the food was fine, not the Lobster and Beef Wellington etc. from old days, but MDR was fine.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Probably complaints from the sort of person that thinks McDonalds is the best food in the world. I worked with a person like that and we would  have work lunches at very nice restaurants and he would just complain about the terrible food. 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Probably complaints from the sort of person that thinks McDonalds is the best food in the world. I worked with a person like that and we would  have work lunches at very nice restaurants and he would just complain about the terrible food. 😉

The only food I thought was terrible was the Specialty Restaurant "Harmony".    I eat anything and will try most things that people shudder over.    The only thing I won't eat is black licorice (and McDonald's....lol)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Hmmm.....I am not in the least bit picky but I want food that is at least decent.

I recently sailed 2 weeks on Discovery & the food was better than decent…it was good. 😋

I’ve sailed Princess for nearly 35 years & are still pleased with the variety of their menu & taste. Taste is subjective but would never say it’s anywhere close to being bad. Friends who cruise on Oceania & Seabourn say it’s not that level of food but they still enjoy Princess. And for the price difference Princess is good to them.

• Like 5

We were on the Majestic for two weeks in late March and were delighted with the food in MDR and Specialty restaurants, all three of them. We definitely enjoyed them all! 🙂 

• Like 4

Just now, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I suggest you do not take their advise again.   Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  

• Like 16

I enjoyed the food on my recent Discovery Princess cruise. There are plenty of options, some nights I had trouble deciding what to order. And while I liked some things more than others nothing was “bad”. Don’t pay for lunch on land on embankment day, get on board and enjoy pizza at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s.

• Like 3

Last thing first. Crown Grill serves the best steaks we've ever eaten. Must try the smoked applewood salt with your steak.

MDR food was slightly different since restart.

1. Smaller protions of the same dishes. Which is about waste. You can order more.

2. Less salt in everything. With Princess Plus, alcoholic drinks are often prepaid. Less salt=less thirsty. Less booze Princess has to pour. My perception, not a statement of fact.

3. A few new MDR dishes. I'll say less challenging, broader appeal. I did send one entree back, forget what. No problem doing that.

4. MDR desserts continue to exceed expectations. Dessert Souffles? OMG.

5. You didn't say which ship. The Majestic is also in Alaska. Harmony gets very conflicting reviews. Ask shipmates before booking.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, sboh said:

I enjoyed the food on my recent Discovery Princess cruise. There are plenty of options, some nights I had trouble deciding what to order. And while I liked some things more than others nothing was “bad”. Don’t pay for lunch on land on embankment day, get on board and enjoy pizza at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s.

Alfredo's is actually my plan for embarkation day lunch if I can get on board early enough.  🙂

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom
  • Like 1

I know one person who hates Princess in part because of the food.  But, in my opinion anyway, this person is something of a food snob.  Loves those elevated food experiences with the required wine pairings.

I'm a little simpler than that.  And on 10 cruises I have never gone away from any of the food venues hungry.  While not all of it will qualify as 5 star, most of it is good to very good to sometimes amazing.   The MDR, the buffet, the International Cafe all have enough options to make anyone happy.  

My favorites are the Crown Grill and the hamburger place by the pool.  When we sailed on the Royal we ate at Alfredo's and that was very good.  Sabatini's was good.  I've never gotten a bad meal in MDR.  I don't like the pizza you get outside the Lido.  And someone needs to teach Princess how to do chips and salsa.  LOL.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Alfredo's is actually my plan for embarkation day lunch if I can get on board early enough.  🙂

Alfredo’s is open from about 1100 to 2200 so anytime of day you can enjoy their multi course meal. 😊

• Like 2

We never eat at the specialty restaurants and have never gone hungry. I'm not sure what this person expects but I love the food on Princess. We always eat dinner in one of the main dining rooms, lunch at the buffet or Alfredo's (which was fabulous) and breakfast at the buffet or dining room. Maybe an occasional entree that is just so-so but overall great experiences.

• Like 1

A lot depends upon your expectations for good quality food offerings.  We have found that Princess all too often depends upon high carb - think lots of white potatoes, white rice, and white pasta - as well as sugar and salt.  It is easy to gain weight with this emphasis.

Princess fails in its healthy eating options and plant-based offerings.  Also, simple things like oatmeal can be just awful on some ships.

Will you go hungry on a Princess ship? No.  Will you rave about the food?  Now, that depends upon your personal tastes.

We’re currently on the Caribbean Princess on an 18 day cruise through the Panama Canal and the food has been quite tasty. I will mention, though, we have only eaten up in the buffet once on embarkation day and the food was tasty there too. We usually either eat in CC dining, which is MDR food, or down at the International Cafe for lunch. But then again, food taste is very subjective.

anyone that's NOT on a cruise ship currently ... please feel free to post your food / drink intakes for the last 7 days ... 

we were on the REGAL at the end of January - little 4 day cruise.  the food was ... food.  mdr was mdr, buffet was buffet,  Alfredo's was the best, as usual for us.  Wine was good, beer was cold, frozen drinks were frozen.  Service was amazing as the ship was ... not full to say the least.

• Like 1