Booking directly thru Viking

MoBro713

I'm new to Viking and booked my 2023 British Isles Explorer cruise directly thru Viking.  I keep reading of people who used a TA getting substantial on board credits from their agents.  Am I screwed because I booked direct?  Don't they make more money from my booking than what they would make from a TA?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, MoBro713 said:

I'm new to Viking and booked my 2023 British Isles Explorer cruise directly thru Viking.  I keep reading of people who used a TA getting substantial on board credits from their agents.  Am I screwed because I booked direct?  Don't they make more money from my booking than what they would make from a TA?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apparently Viking would rather pay a commission than pay for more company agents.  It is my understanding from our Travel Agent (US based and who provides the Maximum kickback that Viking will allow-not all travel agents do) that you have 30 days to transfer a direct booking to an agent (others have reported 60 days). When we booked our first cruise directly I asked the phone agent if moving the booking would affect his compensation and he told me it would not.  

Welcome to Viking!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

We always book directly with Viking … mainly because we do not have a TA we know, have a working relationship with and would trust with the details of our trips.  Many people have agents they know and trust and they do enjoy some perks … but if you don’t already have one that you are comfortable with I wouldn’t jump into anything hoping to reap great rewards.  TA “perks” are limited by their agreements with Viking so you’re not missing that much really.

5 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We always book directly with Viking … mainly because we do not have a TA we know, have a working relationship with and would trust with the details of our trips.  Many people have agents they know and trust and they do enjoy some perks … but if you don’t already have one that you are comfortable with I wouldn’t jump into anything hoping to reap great rewards.  TA “perks” are limited by their agreements with Viking so you’re not missing that much really.

Actually for our 17 day Panama Canal cruise last November that I transferred to a TA, we got $1000 in OBC for excursions, etc. I think that was quite a perk!

• Like 1

We booked an upcoming cruise with a TA about a year ago.  At one point, prior to our commitment, she said she could get us credit. Our cruise is in Sept.  At what point should I know our onboard credit?  I’m new to this too!  

43 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

We booked an upcoming cruise with a TA about a year ago.  At one point, prior to our commitment, she said she could get us credit. Our cruise is in Sept.  At what point should I know our onboard credit?  I’m new to this too!  

You should know when you ask the agent. Our agent’s credit typically shows up on our onboard account the second day we are aboard. Viking maximum allowable amounts are $150 pp for cruises up to 7 nights, $300 pp for 8-14 nights, and $500 pp for cruises over 15 nights.  

If your agent is providing less then you might want to consider finding a new one unless like some the advice and work they do on your behalf is worth more than the shipboard credit or other compensation. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

You should know when you ask the agent. Our agent’s credit typically shows up on our onboard account the second day we are aboard. Viking maximum allowable amounts are $150 pp for cruises up to 7 nights, $300 pp for 8-14 nights, and $500 pp for cruises over 15 nights.  

If your agent is providing less then you might want to consider finding a new one unless like some the advice and work they do on your behalf is worth more than the shipboard credit or other compensation. 

You’re right.  I do need to ask. I’m not sure why I’m uncomfortable doing that!  Thank you. 

• Like 1

There is really no reason not to use an agent. You can still call Viking directly with any cruise and Viking Air issues. I the case of sold out extensions, some agents can create a similar package at the same hotel.  

At the time you book with an agent you should receive a statement that describes any perks and addons and the agencies cancellation policy, Usually this supersedes any subsequent advertised promotions.

The on board credit conditions should be clearly stated. If it is non refundable it means if you don't use it you lose it. If it is refundable will it appear as a credit on your shipboard account and be refunded through the cruise line. Sometimes you are required to submit your final onboard statement to the agency and they will issue a credit for the amount you spent up to the OBC. 

The only other caution is to make sure that cruise line will copy you on all  important communications. Twice we had embarkation locations changed the night before a cruise  and because of time differences or agent availability we received them after the fact.

Viking is very strict with allowable agency perks so beware of an agency that is promising more then the others. 

It is also a good idea to plan how you are going to spend the agency OBC in advance, You can use it for gratuities and excursions and other packages only after you board the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azdrydock said:

It is also a good idea to plan how you are going to spend the agency OBC in advance, You can use it for gratuities and excursions and other packages only after you board the ship.

We have been able to use our OBC to book excursions through MVJ. It doesn’t show in our credits but magically appears as we’re adding excursions into our cart. 

• Like 1

SO, I asked my TA how the OBC works. She said Viking doesn’t give anything but she always gives $100/person. Hmmmmm.   Contradicts what I have read here. She is a casual friend/neighbor so I’m not going to push it, but I’m a little disappointed!  

Edited by lisaatric

42 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

SO, I asked my TA how the OBC works. She said Viking doesn’t give anything but she always gives $100/person. Hmmmmm.   Contradicts what I have read here. She is a casual friend/neighbor so I’m not going to push it, but I’m a little disappointed!  

Currently Viking has a $500 OBC +Silver Spirits Promo on some cruises and see  Clay's post #8 for current maximum agency OBC allowance. You get this no matter who you book with possible exception with bookings through brokers. To my knowledge Viking does not use brokers. Most  online TA's offer the maximum. Most of the mom and pop agencies with out any affiliations can't match this but they can throw in local airport transfers,  restaurant gift certificates etc. A good local agent can provide more service than the online agents and help with  excursions, destination event tickets etc.

1 hour ago, Australia08 said:

We have been able to use our OBC to book excursions through MVJ. It doesn’t show in our credits but magically appears as we’re adding excursions into our cart. 

I think the credits or OBC you get on MVJ are Viking provided. As mentioned, the agency OBC does not appear until after you have embarked. On Viking there is usually a card in the room from your TA with a bottle of wine and OBC mention. Not on Viking, we have tried canceling paid excursions and rebooking once onboard once our OBC appeared. Usually worked but sometimes the prices were higher and we were  told if we cancel and it is waitlisted we cannot rebook. If you do it in person with the on board travel advisor they will prevent you for doing something you will regret.

2 hours ago, lisaatric said:

I would be looking for a new agent for your next Viking cruise. 

• Like 1

When I booked directly through Viking I received a $750 early booking discount and a $100 referral discount on each one of our fares.  Would I have have received those if I booked through a TA?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, MoBro713 said:

Would I have have received those if I booked through a TA?

In my experience, yes.

In the past I have had, for instance, a free SBP as part of Viking promotion as well as the discount that my TA offers.

The way I book a cruise is to approach Viking first to check on which particular cabins are available and to find out if there are any promotions. If I wish to go ahead I give the Viking agent details of my TA and they then contact the TA who phones me to confirm the cabin/deal from Viking and the additional discount the TA will apply.

I should say that things work slightly differently here in the UK, where TAs are allowed to give a "bottom line" direct discount to the cruise price rather than OBC. As a result, although it seems odd, I really can buy a cruise from a TA at a lower cost than I can get directly from Viking.

Using TA does have a further advantage, as it can be helpful having a third-party keep an eye on arrangements. To give an example, on our last cruise it turned out that there had been a communication error between Viking UK and guest services on the ship, who were not aware that our booking included the Silver Beverage Package. When I discovered the error I also found that I did not have evidence of the original booking arrangements with me. However a quick email to my travel agent allowed her to straighten everything out and get the SBP benefits restored within a few hours, while we simply got on with our holiday.

I was very sceptical about using a TA at first but after taking four TA Booked VO cruises so far, I have yet to find a downside. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MoBro713 said:

When I booked directly through Viking I received a $750 early booking discount and a $100 referral discount on each one of our fares.  Would I have have received those if I booked through a TA?

Thanks

For those of us in the US, the referral for sure and the early booking discount if it was being offered online or via an email promotion. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

18 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We have been using the same Viking agent for over 4 years. We have developed a personal relationship with him, and the level of service we get is worth forgoing OBC to us. 

Likewise here too.  
One trip, our Viking agent suggested that by moving the date up a few weeks we could save $1500pp.  He knew we were flexible on dates.  
The second time he helped us out, he knew we’d be flying business and if we upgraded our cabin, we’d receive a $1500 business class fare to Europe.  Even with the difference in the cost of the cabin, we came out ahead about $1200pp.

Also, he lets me know when a new cruise drops if it’s one he knows I’m interested in, before it’s released to the public.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, Australia08 said:

Actually for our 17 day Panama Canal cruise last November that I transferred to a TA, we got $1000 in OBC for excursions, etc. I think that was quite a perk!

That was quite a perk and again, if you have a relationship with a TA that you know and trust, great!  But even a hefty OBC will lose it's worth pretty quickly if you pick an agent for the perk and he/she happens to be a loser.  For every "quite a perk" there is a horror story ... just know what you're getting into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

That was quite a perk and again, if you have a relationship with a TA that you know and trust, great!  But even a hefty OBC will lose it's worth pretty quickly if you pick an agent for the perk and he/she happens to be a loser.  For every "quite a perk" there is a horror story ... just know what you're getting into.

True. However, I like to have control in my initial booking so I book directly with Viking so I can immediately make room choice on the spot rather than waiting for TA to get back with me. I’m always upfront with the. Viking agents that I plan to transfer the booking within a few days. I approve the Viking invoice and have a booking number before transferring. The Viking agents always say to me that most people do transfer so no worries. They still get credit for the initial contact. On occasion I call Viking agents I’ve used before but on more than one occasion that Viking agent has left Viking. When I’m on a cruise and book with the cruise consultant, he or she always asks if I want to move the booking to a TA. To be honest, my TA has done very little for me except the OBC. But I’ve just always called or online chatted with Viking when I have a question about the particular cruise. Sometimes, if I want a more definitive answer I contact tellus@vikingcruises. But we travel independently worldwide a lot so I don’t need much hand holding. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Likewise here too.  
One trip, our Viking agent suggested that by moving the date up a few weeks we could save $1500pp.  He knew we were flexible on dates.  
The second time he helped us out, he knew we’d be flying business and if we upgraded our cabin, we’d receive a $1500 business class fare to Europe.  Even with the difference in the cost of the cabin, we came out ahead about $1200pp.

Also, he lets me know when a new cruise drops if it’s one he knows I’m interested in, before it’s released to the public.

We've had several situations like yours. It's not unusual for us to update our booking document 6 or more times from the initial booking date. usually he is able to rebook to get a better price, perks, etc. without losing our original cabin.

Tried to book online last night but 2 cabins next to each other on the port side was unavailable. This is for a PV cabin. on a southbound Alaska trip on the Orion (2023). Called Lexi (viking travel consultant) and now we have 2 cabins deck5 port side. My folks had some leftover vouchers, early booking discount and previous cruiser. No OBC.

CEH in MD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1