quick question: Surf vs. Surf and Stream

5 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

My son is going to need to watch some summer class videos online on our Alaska cruise in a few weeks and will need internet access on his laptop. I'm thinking he needs Surf and Stream rather than just Surf.  Correct?

What ship

Will make good use of stream.  Surf is adequate for intermittent use, but for online collaboration stream will provide a more satisfying time.  My rationale -  I absolutely will have internet access, $250 added onto a $4000 cruise for internet is hardly noticeable.  If I know I'll actually be depending on it for work, I bump it up to stream for the duration.  If I get called in for work consultation during a cruise, I bump it up with a phone call to guest services.  

Another consideration - Ludites born before Woodstock may be able to cut the cord for a month.  Anyone without landline telephone probably needs stream (teens, tweens, included).  The rest of us can be satisfied with surf, and have the comfort of being in touch, but not "needing" to use it.

Give the guy stream, and ask him after the cruise how much else beside class it was useful for.

7 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

My son is going to need to watch some summer class videos online on our Alaska cruise in a few weeks and will need internet access on his laptop. I'm thinking he needs Surf and Stream rather than just Surf.  Correct?

Just remember, that there will be times when the terrain will block reception from satellite/wifi access if the ship is in one of the fjords. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I’m on the Ovation now & have S&S. It works, but does drop often, if I’m not constantly using. It can also be pretty slow at times. Videos can be jumpy. You would definitely need Surf and Stream. They have mentioned the slow internet in the Cruise Compass.

We'll be on Serenade.  He will not have to "participate" in the videos (they are all pre-recorded), he'll just have to watch them.  I have also read about the reception being slow or dropped in some locations. We'll spring for the Surf and Stream. Thanks for the replies.