Ruby Princess stopping in Prince Rupert?

westcoaster

I saw some news articles and a press release from the Prince Rupert port authority indicating that the Ruby Princess will be making 16 port calls in Prince Rupert during this Alaska cruise season, starting on May 17th.  The Princess website isn't showing this for the San Francisco RT cruises on the Ruby.  

Has anyone heard about this, and what port would Prince Rupert be replacing?  

59 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

I saw some news articles and a press release from the Prince Rupert port authority indicating that the Ruby Princess will be making 16 port calls in Prince Rupert during this Alaska cruise season, starting on May 17th.  The Princess website isn't showing this for the San Francisco RT cruises on the Ruby.  

Has anyone heard about this, and what port would Prince Rupert be replacing?  

Since you are a Local.... what do you think of stopping there vs. Victoria?

I really enjoy stopping in Victoria, so I need to be sold on Prince Rupert....

11 minutes ago, GJCruiser said:

It logically would replace Victoria. 

You are correct.  I just checked the cruise schedule for Victoria, and the Ruby Princess stops from May 18 onward all appear to be cancelled.

Just now, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Prince Rupert is beautiful.  It's a lot smaller and less touristy than Victoria.  Since Prince Rupert doesn't get a lot of cruise ship calls, you won't find a lot of jewelry shops and other tourist shops like in the main Alaska ports, but it's great for accessing wilderness.

• Like 1

The math has just never been favorable for the Victoria call.  0600 is too early for people on vacation and with so many shops and attractions not opening until 10, it’s just kind of a blown day. 

(Note that I love Victoria and Vancouver Island as a whole - there’s tons to see and do, it’s a great wine, food and distilling area, the people are super nice - I’m just down on the 6A-12N and 5P-11P calls)

According to Prince Rupert's Port Authority, Ruby Princess will be docking in Prince Rupert beginning May 17th.   I'm sailing 6/9 and I haven't been told anything yet?

https://www.rupertport.com/terminal_details/northland-cruise-terminal/?utm_source=prince george citizen&utm_campaign=prince george citizen%3A outbound&utm_medium=referral

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 5.50.36 AM.png

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The math has just never been favorable for the Victoria call.  

I agree.  I'm surprised that the cruise lines haven't found an alternative to Victoria as the required Canadian port call earlier than this.  The San Francisco based cruises used to stop in Victoria from 8 am to 2 pm, which isn't great, but this year they were moved to 6 am to noon, which is really crappy. 

Most of the Seattle based ships have the very limited evening call, with most of them not arriving until between 7 pm and 8 pm.  By late summer, that means you don't even get any usable daylight.

• Like 1

We did an unscheduled stop a few years ago due to mechanical issues. It was the best day of the cruise. We rented a car and drove 20 minutes to Port Edward and toured a fish cannery museum . Had lunch in a local’s cafe in town. We had to tender in. Would choose Prince Rupert over Victoria anytime.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Prince Rupert, BC, is about 90 nm south east of Ketchikan, AK, and both had economies of fishing, canneries, and forestry.  If you enjoyed the small coastal towns in Alaska, I think you’ll enjoy one of BC’s small coastal towns, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert,_British_Columbia

• Like 1

Wow, just is new. 

Just a couple of questions.

Where we get off the ship, does anyone know how far it is to a good trail head for the loop trail out to the sea boat terminal.

Has Princess sent anyone notice that their tours in Victoria have been cancelled.  We have heard nothing about this from Princess and we are sailing on May 30. You think they would have let us know by now.

Does folks with private tours have any notice from the folks in Victoria.

Wonder how long Princess has known this, they must have just found out...

53 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Wow, just is new. 

Where we get off the ship, does anyone know how far it is to a good trail head for the loop trail out to the sea boat terminal.

Has Princess sent anyone notice that their tours in Victoria have been cancelled.  We have heard nothing about this from Princess and we are sailing on May 30. You think they would have let us know by now.

We are on the same sailing. We had an excursion (castle and sightseeing bus tour) booked for Victoria that was cancelled by princess a few weeks ago. IIRC it was cancelled due to "operational" circumstances. However our check in document still lists Victoria. I will be pleased if we are changed to Prince Rupert. My mother was stationed there in the 50s with the RCMP and said the place was magical

• Like 3

We are sailing next week on the Ruby Princess and haven’t been notified yet. I guess we will get a refund on our excursion in Victoria. Doesn’t leave much time to schedule something new since Prince Rupert isn’t on our itinerary yet. 

• Like 1

We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert a few years ago.  It is well worth visiting - very pretty, good museums, a very interesting cannery museum, indigenous peoples sites.  You can get all the info that you need on the internet.

DON

• Like 2

sailing tomorrow on the Ruby and this is in our summary that we are just being informed about today: 

TINERARY CHANGE

Please be advised that due to updated speed restrictions to safeguard marine life in the area, Ruby Princess will now call to Juneau, Alaska from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM on Friday, May 13, 2022, rather than 1:30 PM to 9:00 PM as previously scheduled. As a result of this change, we have replaced our call to Victoria, British Columbia on Wednesday, May 18 with a visit to Prince Rupert, British Columbia on Tuesday, May 17 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Additionally, arrival in Skagway, Alaska will now be at 6:30 AM on Saturday, May 14 rather than 6:00 AM as previously scheduled.

i am trying to change our ArriveCan form but they have 2 Prince Rupert ports listed...does anyone know which one we should use? a) Prince Rupert Harbour Anchorages,2,3,4,5,6 and 7....or b) Prince Rupert PRG#2

• Like 3

1 minute ago, andio2of5 said:

i am trying to change our ArriveCan form but they have 2 Prince Rupert ports listed...does anyone know which one we should use? a) Prince Rupert Harbour Anchorages,2,3,4,5,6 and 7....or b) Prince Rupert PRG#2

oh wait...i see a third option: Northland Cruise Ship Terminal (Prince Rupert).  I'm going to assume that it's this third one

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, andio2of5 said:

sailing tomorrow on the Ruby and this is in our summary that we are just being informed about today: 

TINERARY CHANGE

Please be advised that due to updated speed restrictions to safeguard marine life in the area, Ruby Princess will now call to Juneau, Alaska from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM on Friday, May 13, 2022, rather than 1:30 PM to 9:00 PM as previously scheduled. As a result of this change, we have replaced our call to Victoria, British Columbia on Wednesday, May 18 with a visit to Prince Rupert, British Columbia on Tuesday, May 17 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Additionally, arrival in Skagway, Alaska will now be at 6:30 AM on Saturday, May 14 rather than 6:00 AM as previously scheduled.

I sure like the times for Prince Rupert better than the times we currently had scheduled for Victoria.  
Thanks for sharing your itinerary change.  I am booked on the Ruby for 6/9 so believe this will be also be the itinerary for all the Ruby summer sailings.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andio2of5 said:

oh wait...i see a third option: Northland Cruise Ship Terminal (Prince Rupert).  I'm going to assume that it's this third one

I believe it is Northland based on the Prince Rupert Port Authority's website

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 6.20.46 PM.png

Received our new information from Princess yesterday. Yippee. Looks like a nice stop on way back to San Francisco. Will be first time in Prince Rupert. Wish we has longer in Juneau as we like to hike up to the cable car and ride down but will have to see how that fits into dinner plans. Hope trail is not to muddy. It was great a couple of years ago. 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Shaver John said:

Wow, just is new. 

We are going May 30th on the Ruby. Last night got the email of the change. The other bigger change is Juneau arrival time was 1:30 now 3pm till 10pm. Now have to change our Whale watching trip which was scheduled for 2:15. Did not have anything scheduled for Victoria & we have been to Victoria on our own.

• Like 1

Same cruise for us. We are also from California and traveling with a wonderful couple we often cruise with. Yes, we are a bit disappointed about the time in Juneau also, but only as it may effect dinner plans. We are club class so we can eat later I guess, but like to eat at 6. oh well, 1st world problem.