Gluten free on Millenium

Looking for advice from other celiac cruisers.  Heading to Alaska in aug on millenium for first ever cruise. A little apprehensive about eating safely.

how did you find your eating experience?

did you bring any food onboard with you? Is that even allowed?

I’m in an ocean view so no access to blu or luminae. How did you find the dining options? Was there good variety?

Did you ever feel you got glutened?

what about eating in the ports? Did you find the local restaurants had options? Could you take some snacks from the boat with you into port in case you didn’t find anything?

anything else important?

I am not celiac but do have a dairy allergy.  I have found Celebrity to be really accommodating when it comes to allergies.  Menus are often labeled with common allergens (like gluten, dairy, etc.).  Meals in the MDR can be pre-ordered the night before and then they are prepared in a separate part of the kitchen.  Many dishes that have gluten in them can be prepared without gluten if pre-ordered.  For this reason, I tend to eat more meals in the MDR and when I can I try to dine at the same time and get the same wait staff so they get to know my dietary needs.  You can also always ask for assistance in the buffet and they will help guide you to what is safe to eat.  

Let Celebrity know ahead of time about your dietary restrictions and then I also often go to the MDR upon boarding on embarkation day to talk to the Maitre'D and then I mention it to my waiter at the first meal in the MDR (they usually already know by this point but it starts the conversation about pre-ordering future meals).  And don't hesitate to ask for things that are not on the menu if you aren't finding anything that works.  The worst they can say is no and it might actually be something they can get for you.

My allergy isn't such that a trace of dairy would cause me problems so I can't speak to how careful they are with cross-contamination. Hopefully someone who is celiac can comment as well.

You are free to bring your own snacks on board provided they are packaged.  That is typically true of ports as well.  Just avoid any fresh produce and meats.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will be a symbol on MDR menus noting gluten free options.  There also also be gluten free options at the Cafe al Bacio (nice treats) and at the Ocean View Buffet.  

Alaska restaurants will have gluten free options and generally symbols on their menus too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have recently developed allergies to both gluten and lactose as a side effect of a necessary medication in the last couple of years.  Our next cruise is a B2B2B and we have purposely asked for set dining and I plan on introducing myself at the MDR as soon as we board seeing as though they will have me for 40 nights.
Several cruises ago we went on a tour through the galley organised by someone on CC who had allergies and they showed us where they did all the meals for those that had special requirements.  It is a completely separate part of the galley so no cross-contamination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

I have recently developed allergies to both gluten and lactose as a side effect of a necessary medication in the last couple of years.  Our next cruise is a B2B2B and we have purposely asked for set dining and I plan on introducing myself at the MDR as soon as we board seeing as though they will have me for 40 nights.
Several cruises ago we went on a tour through the galley organised by someone on CC who had allergies and they showed us where they did all the meals for those that had special requirements.  It is a completely separate part of the galley so no cross-contamination.

I think booking set dining when you have allergies is a very sensible idea. While you might not have the  flexibility, it means you will have the same serving team who get to know your needs. We have also booked set dining through choice,  as my husband has coeliac disease and our 2 daughters are vegan. It saves the hassle of explaining to a different set of staff each night.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

I think booking set dining when you have allergies is a very sensible idea. While you might not have the  flexibility, it means you will have the same serving team who get to know your needs. We have also booked set dining through choice,  as my husband has coeliac disease and our 2 daughters are vegan. It saves the hassle of explaining to a different set of staff each night.  

Good to know.  I will def try to get a consistent time. 

I have to eat gluten free.  The MDR menu will have symbols for gf.  Cafe Al Bacio has gluten free muffins.  In the buffet a manager will take you around and show you what is gluten free.  There are also a few gluten free desserts in buffet area.  There is also gluten free pizza and pasta in buffet.  The pizza is blah but pasta is good with sauce and even meatballs are gluten free!  Your waiter can also show you the menus for the next day and if you request something to be made gf they will try to do it.  

I was glutened in Tuscan Restaurant.  They told me the dessert was gluten free and as soon as I put it in my mouth I knew it wasn’t and discreetly spit it out.  Luckily I did not get sick.  

I do bring my own crackers and bagels.  I like smoked salmon and bagel some mornings and they don’t have gluten free bagel or crackers.  

Hope this helps!  Enjoy your cruise!

Bonnie

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, bjahil47 said:

I have to eat gluten free.  The MDR menu will have symbols for gf.  Cafe Al Bacio has gluten free muffins.  In the buffet a manager will take you around and show you what is gluten free.  There are also a few gluten free desserts in buffet area.  There is also gluten free pizza and pasta in buffet.  The pizza is blah but pasta is good with sauce and even meatballs are gluten free!  Your waiter can also show you the menus for the next day and if you request something to be made gf they will try to do it.  

I was glutened in Tuscan Restaurant.  They told me the dessert was gluten free and as soon as I put it in my mouth I knew it wasn’t and discreetly spit it out.  Luckily I did not get sick.  

I do bring my own crackers and bagels.  I like smoked salmon and bagel some mornings and they don’t have gluten free bagel or crackers.  

Hope this helps!  Enjoy your cruise!

Bonnie

did you eat at any port restaurants?

I feel good about the onboard dining with what everyone has shared.

but I am worried about shore excursions. And getting glutened and it ruining / making me miss things for the next 24 hours or so.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I'll just add here that the gelato on Celebrity ships contains gluten.  It isn't marked as such and waiters may not be aware.  Sorbet (sorbetto) is ok.

Gelato per se is gluten free.  Only when they add in cookies, brownies, or other mix ins then it’s not gluten free.  On our April cruise there may have been one or two flavors not gluten free.

50 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

did you eat at any port restaurants?

I feel good about the onboard dining with what everyone has shared.

but I am worried about shore excursions. And getting glutened and it ruining / making me miss things for the next 24 hours or so.

We usually do not eat off the ship.  Maybe a drink if thirsty.  We went on a tour in Columbia that included stopping for a meal (self pay).  I sat there and had a bottled water.  I saw the kitchen and no way was I eating there!  You are going to Alaska so I think most places should be knowledgeable about gluten free eating.  

For some reason I can eat fries from a shared fryer.  Does not bother me.  But Luminae fries are coated so not gluten free.  You have to watch everything!  The mashed potatoes at Texas Roadhouse have flour added to them!  Sorry, I went off topic….

51 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Gelato per se is gluten free.  Only when they add in cookies, brownies, or other mix ins then it’s not gluten free.  On our April cruise there may have been one or two flavors not gluten free.

I have celiac and have asked multiple F&B Managers about this and have been told multiple times there is trace amount of flour in all the gelato flavors on Celebrity ships.  There shouldn't be but there is ("real" gelato wouldn't have it).

My husband has a wheat allergy and as a result, eats GF.   Personally I think Celebrity still has a long way to go.    Sure, they have GF items on their menus but only one one type of sliced bread offered at dinner, which arrives toasted.  Crackers for cheese and crackers?  Nope, next time will bring our own.   Burger buns?   Hit or miss at the grill. 

Our fabulous waiter in Luminae actually surprised us at lunch one day, by arranging for a chef friend to make a GF bun so my husband could try their burger. 

The GF muffins are not always available BTW  

• 3 months later...

Back from cruise. Here is what I experienced.

I emailed special needs ahead of time. Got a canned and useless response.

the MDR was pretty good about offering gf options.  The main menu was labelled.  The desert menu was not. Booked the same time in MDR each night with same server.  After night 1, he showed me the next day menu ahead of time and I preorder what I wanted for next night. But each time he would ask me what I wanted for dessert, and I would say I don’t know, what gf? And he would say, don’t know, will ask kitchen,  and we did that every single night. ?

the buffet was not good.  The alleged gf corner only had desserts.  There was a few disappointments, but here’s one example. The bacon tray at breakfast was labelled gf.  Great. Ate some every morning.  Never felt good. Wasn’t sure what the source was.  On last day The tray was almost empty.  What did I see they had laying in bottom of tray to absorb grease? Bread slices.  On a dish laBelled gf. Just one example. Food overall was limited and not safe. 

anyway, eating was not as carefree as I had hoped.

also next to impossible to find any restaurants in ports.  Thankfully I had taken packaged snacks.  
in case anyone searches this, eating was the most stressful part of my trip.  That and the spa were my only disappointments.  Everything else on board was great. 

28 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Back from cruise. Here is what I experienced.

I emailed special needs ahead of time. Got a canned and useless response.

the MDR was pretty good about offering gf options.  The main menu was labelled.  The desert menu was not. Booked the same time in MDR each night with same server.  After night 1, he showed me the next day menu ahead of time and I preorder what I wanted for next night. But each time he would ask me what I wanted for dessert, and I would say I don’t know, what gf? And he would say, don’t know, will ask kitchen,  and we did that every single night. ?

the buffet was not good.  The alleged gf corner only had desserts.  There was a few disappointments, but here’s one example. The bacon tray at breakfast was labelled gf.  Great. Ate some every morning.  Never felt good. Wasn’t sure what the source was.  On last day The tray was almost empty.  What did I see they had laying in bottom of tray to absorb grease? Bread slices.  On a dish laBelled gf. Just one example. Food overall was limited and not safe. 

anyway, eating was not as carefree as I had hoped.

also next to impossible to find any restaurants in ports.  Thankfully I had taken packaged snacks.  
in case anyone searches this, eating was the most stressful part of my trip.  That and the spa were my only disappointments.  Everything else on board was great. 

Sorry, you did not have a good experience in eating Gluten Free.  Did you try the gf pasta, sauce and meatballs at buffet.  They are very good.  The gf desserts at buffet in April were terrible.  I look at every dish as they are not always labeled correctly.  Did you have gf macaroons, macarons or muffins?  Those are good.

What was amiss in spa?  In April on Equinox we had a couples massage.  While the massage was nice, I feel I was not treated with respect or dignity.  Long story.  I also had a mani/pedi that was wonderful.  

Glad you enjoyed everything else.  

2 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Sorry, you did not have a good experience in eating Gluten Free.  Did you try the gf pasta, sauce and meatballs at buffet.  They are very good.  The gf desserts at buffet in April were terrible.  I look at every dish as they are not always labeled correctly.  Did you have gf macaroons, macarons or muffins?  Those are good.

What was amiss in spa?  In April on Equinox we had a couples massage.  While the massage was nice, I feel I was not treated with respect or dignity.  Long story.  I also had a mani/pedi that was wonderful.  

Glad you enjoyed everything else.  

I didn’t try the pasta in buffet.  I would only eat pasta for a diner meal and ate all my diners in MDR.  I did have a gf shrimp and pasta one night in MDR and it was very good. 
I should have added- all the gf food I ate was very good.  It’s was just very limited, and so much contamination in buffet that made it stressful.

I did have the macarons from the cafe a few times.  On day 1 Cafe ab had the macarons and one other gf treat.  Each subsequent only the marcaron.  No muffins ever and I checked every day at least twice as I drank a lot of tea.
And I quickly learned to request all the macarons I wanted for the day as they ran out by afternoon and didn’t replenish til morning. Day 7 morning there was nothing and the jar was gone and didn’t reappear. 😞. They were delish though.I am see why they went so fast. 

my spa issue was that drink,ing was allowed in the waiting area.  It was quite crowded and running behind (not a problem by itself) however waiting there with a very intoxicated male patron who in his mind I’m sure was being friendly but was in reality totally harassing the other females waiting was not cool.  Totally inappropriate comments to the women waiting.  And staff did nothing.  If I hadn’t prepaid for service, I would have left and i kept thinking okay they must be ready for me by now… that combined with the hard sell on add on services and the extreme price.  No, I wouldn’t go back to spa again. And I love a good spa. My expectations are high as I have visited very upscale venues and I expected this to be similar.  It was more like frat house spa.  I would book celebrity again as the rest was great, but never again to spa.

20 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

I didn’t try the pasta in buffet.  I would only eat pasta for a diner meal and ate all my diners in MDR.  I did have a gf shrimp and pasta one night in MDR and it was very good. 
I should have added- all the gf food I ate was very good.  It’s was just very limited, and so much contamination in buffet that made it stressful.

I did have the macarons from the cafe a few times.  On day 1 Cafe ab had the macarons and one other gf treat.  Each subsequent only the marcaron.  No muffins ever and I checked every day at least twice as I drank a lot of tea.
And I quickly learned to request all the macarons I wanted for the day as they ran out by afternoon and didn’t replenish til morning. Day 7 morning there was nothing and the jar was gone and didn’t reappear. 😞. They were delish though.I am see why they went so fast. 

my spa issue was that drink,ing was allowed in the waiting area.  It was quite crowded and running behind (not a problem by itself) however waiting there with a very intoxicated male patron who in his mind I’m sure was being friendly but was in reality totally harassing the other females waiting was not cool.  Totally inappropriate comments to the women waiting.  And staff did nothing.  If I hadn’t prepaid for service, I would have left and i kept thinking okay they must be ready for me by now… that combined with the hard sell on add on services and the extreme price.  No, I wouldn’t go back to spa again. And I love a good spa. My expectations are high as I have visited very upscale venues and I expected this to be similar.  It was more like frat house spa.  I would book celebrity again as the rest was great, but never again to spa.

Last cruise we only had the macaroons in the terminal.  I asked in Retreat where they were and the next day a plate of vanilla and a plate of chocolate appeared in my room!  Luckily I had baggies.  They lasted the entire cruise, and they never put them out for general public.  Cafe Al Bacio had gf muffins in morning.  

Did you go to Spa Cafe?  Several gluten free options and they have a gf apple oatmeal cookie that is very good.  

sorry about the Spa.  It is very expensive and you should have a pleasant time there.  After our couples massage they tried to sell us a lot of stuff.  Once we said No they were done with us!  

14 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Did you go to Spa Cafe?  Several gluten free options and they have a gf apple oatmeal cookie that is very good.  

I tired to grab food at the spa cafe.  They said they couldn’t make the Turkey club on gf bread.  And while the chicken salad was gf and the mozza tomato thing gf, they didn’t have any gf bread to go with it.  They said I could go down to the buffet and get gf bread there and bring it back to have with the salads, but they wouldn’t make the sandwich on it even if I delivered them the bread.  
so yes, options, but very inconvenient ones. Especially since it could have been very easy to have the gf bread at the spa cafe.  So I just ended up trying to get stuff the buffet since I had to go there for bread anyway.

I luckily was able to get macarons every morning except at the end so I was all good for cookies.  No muffins ever though.