Medallion device: packaging and shipment method

Katarina5391

Hi Princess Cruisers,

I ordered just the medallion with the complimentary lanyard, without any of the wearables. For those who've ordered just the medallion and lanyard before, how are they packaged and shipped to your home? Envelope or small box and is it non-descript? Is it shipped via USPS or UPS/Fed Ex? Will it fit through a standard mail slot? I'm going to be away for several days the second-to-last week before my cruise and the last thing I'd want is for a package showing my vacation dates to be sitting invitingly at my doorstep during my absence. It's fine if it's just an envelope that'll fit through the mail slot. If not, I'll just do a vacation hold or have the medallion sent to the pier, though my TA told me that it's usually international cruisers who have the medallion sent to the pier so I'm not sure if that's even an option for me. Thanks for your help!

Ours just arrived yesterday and it came in a pretty foil blue bubble envelope (approx 5x7) via USPS.  It is not very big at all and fit into our small cluster mailbox with our regular mail.  It didn't have to go into a parcel locker.

• Like 2

We are also in California, but prefer things simply and pick up the Medallion at the pier.

It may arrive in a small box about ten days before your cruise, but maybe not. Then, the battery may be dead on arrival. Either way you can get a substitute at the pier. So, delivery is really not an issue. No one else can use it unless they board and no one can use it to board but you. If it disappears off your porch or mailbox, the only concern is that whoever steals it will know when you'll be at sea. Oops!

One way or another, you'll get one that works to open your cabin door and buy things on the ship. Pretty much otherwise useless. Can't buy FCDs, excursions, make dining reservations, etc... I'm told you can gamble with it, interesting to some adults, and select a stupid avatar, interesting to a seven year old.

For most, it's a non-issue, but you can be tracked on the ship. If it's a concern, dig through your kitchen for a metal foil tea ball to keep it in. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

I received mine last week for a cruise next week.  It came via USPS with a short delay.  I only know this from requesting tracking after I got the email it had shipped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

We are also in California, but prefer things simply and pick up the Medallion at the pier.

It may arrive in a small box about ten days before your cruise, but maybe not. Then, the battery may be dead on arrival. Either way you can get a substitute at the pier. So, delivery is really not an issue. No one else can use it unless they board and no one can use it to board but you. If it disappears off your porch or mailbox, the only concern is that whoever steals it will know when you'll be at sea. Oops!

One way or another, you'll get one that works to open your cabin door and buy things on the ship. Pretty much otherwise useless. Can't buy FCDs, excursions, make dining reservations, etc... I'm told you can gamble with it, interesting to some adults, and select a stupid avatar, interesting to a seven year old.

For most, it's a non-issue, but you can be tracked on the ship. If it's a concern, dig through your kitchen for a metal foil tea ball to keep it in. 

Great to know that it is an option to pick up the medallion device at the pier. Definitely would not want people to know when I'll be away! Thanks! 

12 hours ago, lljost said:

I think it's ridiculous that Princess is paying to ship these Medallions. Just pick them up at the port. Quick and easy.

I think they want the majority of people showing up with them in hand so that it takes less workers at the terminal to handle that job.  It is one less task for the workers handling the embarkation process.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lljost said:

I think it's ridiculous that Princess is paying to ship these Medallions. Just pick them up at the port. Quick and easy.

On my January cruise, because I was already wearing the medallion on the lanyard and it was visible, on approach to the terminal entrance doors I was immediately directed to the proper lane.  The only face to face contact I had during embarkation was at security and the vaccination check point.  There was no need to meet somebody at the check-in desk in order to get what would have come in the mail anyway.  I was walking onboard in less than 20 minutes.

@Katarina5391 If you are referencing the typical mail slot in your front door, it will very easily fit through the mail slot.  The medallions now come in a small thin box in a small envelope.  It does not come in the same packaging as it was before the Covid break.  

• Like 1

We have received Medallions twice now along with a couple of wrist band holders. Both times they came Fedex from Singapore (we live in Arizona) and were packaged in a box that would not fit through a mail slot. Last delivery was yesterday.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

We have received Medallions twice now along with a couple of wrist band holders. Both times they came Fedex from Singapore (we live in Arizona) and were packaged in a box that would not fit through a mail slot. Last delivery was yesterday.

It sounds like the OP will need to track the package from Princess.  If it's coming by mail, then it will probably be in the thin envelope.  I guess if FedEx or UPS, OP may need to ask a friend or relative to pick up the medallion on the delivery date.

• Like 2

Just now, Daniel A said:

It sounds like the OP will need to track the package from Princess.  If it's coming by mail, then it will probably be in the thin envelope.  I guess if FedEx or UPS, OP may need to ask a friend or relative to pick up the medallion on the delivery date.

UPS and Fedex both allow you to register online with them. Once you do that they will automatically notify you of any shipments heading your way and keep you up-to-date on the expected delivery. That's how we knew the Medallions were shipped. You can also redirect the deliveries too.

• Like 3