ArriveCan

GrandmaLinder

I am so confused. The Gov of Canada site says all cruisers need to get a number from the app before boarding. Because we are Canadian and already here we dont know how we can possibly do this pre boarding. Does anyone have any first hand info on this from when they left Vancouver? Thanks

The fact that you are Canadian has no bearing on filling out the app. You are still going out and will be returning to Canada. Just go online and fill it all out and submit prior to boarding.

• Like 1

ArriveCAN is quite easy to use - the sheer amount of discussion about it here on CC seems to have turned it into some kind of scary boogey app!

You just need to set up an account on it.  This can be done on the app or on a computer.  You need to upload your vax proof to set up the account.  (I have my vax proof I downloaded from BC Health Gateway app.). Once you have your account you just put in details of any time you are crossing the border back into Canada - the questions were simplified in late April - and answer some health questions.  For cruisers you should fill it in within the 72 hours BEFORE embarking a ship that will visit OR return to a Canadian port.  That visit or return can be within a month of embarkation.  Again this can be done on the app or on a computer.  

it will then give you a Receipt with a QR code.  I found it useful to print out the receipt to have a hard copy to show at checkin at the port - so you are not searching through your phone for it.  Canadian Border personnel told me that it shows on their computer that you have a valid ArriveCAN, so they may not directly ask for it, but they will know that you have it.

The only complication I had was that it seemed to need me to delete the first receipt before I could get a 2nd one - I had a short cruise from Seattle that visited Victoria (1st receipt), and then took the bus back from Seattle to Van the following day (2nd receipt need for land crossing).  But once I realized I needed to delete the old one it was simple.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, westcoasttech said:

ArriveCAN is quite easy to use - the sheer amount of discussion about it here on CC seems to have turned it into some kind of scary boogey app!

I agree 100%.  We used the ArriveCAN to board a ship and it is incredibly easy to use. I also don’t understand the amount of discussion and questions it as prompted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think it has generated a lot of confusion because it's one more thing we have to arrange very close to travel day or boarding the ship.  A lot of people do not find it easy to use an app or a computer and probably have no idea how to download their passport or vax record and need help doing this.  There are so many things to arrange and do within a few days of departure that ArriveCAN is just one more worry, and we haven't had to use this particular program before, so the unknown plays a big part in the worry that there will be a problem at the last minute while trying to complete the process without help readily available--except all the wonderful cruise critic folks!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrandmaLinder said:

I am so confused. The Gov of Canada site says all cruisers need to get a number from the app before boarding. Because we are Canadian and already here we dont know how we can possibly do this pre boarding. Does anyone have any first hand info on this from when they left Vancouver? Thanks

We sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii on Apr 23.  We did not have to do ArriveCan since we are Canadian and already here.  However, when we return in a few days, we will have to do it.  Hope this helps. 

11 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

You just need to set up an account on it.  This can be done on the app or on a computer.  You need to upload your vax proof to set up the account.  (I have my vax proof I downloaded from BC Health Gateway app.). Once you have your account you just put in details of any time you are crossing the border back into Canada - the questions were simplified in late April - and answer some health questions.  For cruisers you should fill it in within the 72 hours BEFORE embarking a ship that will visit OR return to a Canadian port.  That visit or return can be within a month of embarkation.  Again this can be done on the app or on a computer.  

it will then give you a Receipt with a QR code.  I found it useful to print out the receipt to have a hard copy to show at checkin at the port - so you are not searching through your phone for it.  Canadian Border personnel told me that it shows on their computer that you have a valid ArriveCAN, so they may not directly ask for it, but they will know that you have it.

The only complication I had was that it seemed to need me to delete the first receipt before I could get a 2nd one - I had a short cruise from Seattle that visited Victoria (1st receipt), and then took the bus back from Seattle to Van the following day (2nd receipt need for land crossing).  But once I realized I needed to delete the old one it was simple.

Good post. The only thing that I would add is that the app version of ArriveCAN and the website version aren't synchronized. So you can't sit down at you computer at home, set up an account, and then later go to the app on your mobile device to enter trip or other information.

I set up my ArriveCan account yesterday by using the App on my cell phone.

It was extremely frustrating and took an hour to enter data for the two of us.

The biggest problem was scanning our passport data. Mine went through the first time , but it took four attempts to have the data show correctly for my husband. His last name was misspelled three times (different spelling each time) and an error notice that his passport number was wrong (said it had to be an alphanumeric sequence with the first two places being letters - not on a US passport).

Can't wait to try to enter the data seventy two hours before our flight to Canada. What could possibly screw up? 🙄

52 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Good post. The only thing that I would add is that the app version of ArriveCAN and the website version aren't synchronized. So you can't sit down at you computer at home, set up an account, and then later go to the app on your mobile device to enter trip or other information.

Actually, that's exactly what I did and I can access my existing account from either my laptop or the app on my phone/ipad.  I just tested to make sure I didn't imagine things, and I can still access from both.  The (Windows) PC/laptop interface (through the internet https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome) is a little bit misleading, in that you have to choose "Get Started" to get to a log on screen where you put in your already set up ID/password to get into an existing account.  (If you think about it they would have to be sync'd in order for Border Services to be able to "see" your details on their side, presumably using PCs.)

[I don't know if there is any delay in syncing between website and app information, I set mine up several weeks ago and have had no issue with accessing from either direction.]

Edited by westcoasttech
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Can't wait to try to enter the data seventy two hours before our flight to Canada. What could possibly screw up? 🙄

I haven't had to use it for a flight, however I've used it for a cruise (before they simplified the info needed and added the enhanced "marine" option) and a road crossing, and the information needed to actually get a QR code is very basic.  You do need to know where and what kind of border you will be crossing at - e.g., I was on a bus, so needed to know it was Pacific Highway and not Peace Arch and give an approximate time of crossing.  I had my phone ready to show the Border Agent, but he told me straight away that he did not need to see it as it was on his computer and I could put my phone away.

Edited by westcoasttech

23 minutes ago, westcoasttech said:

Actually, that's exactly what I did and I can access my existing account from either my laptop or the app on my phone/ipad.  I just tested to make sure I didn't imagine things, and I can still access from both.  The (Windows) PC/laptop interface (through the internet https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome) is a little bit misleading, in that you have to choose "Get Started" to get to a log on screen where you put in your already set up ID/password to get into an existing account.  (If you think about it they would have to be sync'd in order for Border Services to be able to "see" your details on their side, presumably using PCs.)

Thank you! In the early days of ArriveCAN, this wasn't the case. I'm very happy to see that that along with the many other changes, they've addressed what was such an obvious shortcoming.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

I set up my ArriveCan account yesterday by using the App on my cell phone.

It was extremely frustrating and took an hour to enter data for the two of us.

The biggest problem was scanning our passport data. Mine went through the first time , but it took four attempts to have the data show correctly for my husband. His last name was misspelled three times (different spelling each time) and an error notice that his passport number was wrong (said it had to be an alphanumeric sequence with the first two places being letters - not on a US passport).

Actually entered our flight information this morning and other than knowing which terminal for Toronto's Pearson Airport and arrival flight time it was pretty easy probably because it was manually entered.

1 hour ago, westcoasttech said:

Actually, that's exactly what I did and I can access my existing account from either my laptop or the app on my phone/ipad.  I just tested to make sure I didn't imagine things, and I can still access from both. 

That is good to know.

It is easier to type on a computer keyboard than a cell phone, so I will enter all data that way.

I would rather have a hard copy of the code and, as I can't seem to print from my phone, it is good to know I can access the information from the computer.