How do upgrades work with cruise companions?

We're traveling with a first-timer who is getting their first vacation in six years. Even though we booked separately we were able to get rooms close to one another (about four rooms down) which was something our friend asked for so they didn't feel too alone. It didn't click with me at first, but upon our first planning session it turns out that the rat bastard got himself a window view while we're traveling like our normal peon self's in an interior room. 

This will not stand. 

I've been rather lucky with the upgrade fairy in past and I'm batting 1.000 when it comes to getting the call (out of... two cruises so data points might be a little sparse) even though we've never taken them up on the offer. In order to put our friend in his place I'd like to finally accept should they call again, but I'd hate for our friend to feel like we're abandoning him to the lower decks while we live the high upgrade life. All this being said, what are the chances that we'd be offered to upgrade yet move together? I'm under the impression that upgrades are for specific rooms (As in they know what rooms are empty and specifically look to fill those instead of moving folks about), do they offer moving cruise companions as well? 

I'm betting the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask the fine folks here on Cruise Critic and the rest of you as well. 

I had 2 rooms booked side by side in November. Upgrade offer showed up in my to do list for my room about a week before the cruise. I took the offer and moved. No offer was made for the other room and as far as we could tell my original room went unoccupied. It was kind of a strange cruise though because we had a major itinerary change just a few weeks before sailing and people were given the option to cancel. A lot of no shows that cruise. It was crazy seeing all the sign and sail envelopes at peoples doors well after sail away. 

Not sure what your chances for an offer are OP but I have also had an experience where I needed to call Carnival because I couldn't accept the offer online (website issue). The rep on the phone helped me move to a better cabin than that offer for the same price. Maybe if you are given an offer you can talk with Carnival about your options.

• Thanks 1

The upsells are per room, so not highly likely you both would receive an offer.  You have been pretty lucky so far as your batting average is not the norm.  There is no way to get an offer by "talking" to them.  You are either extended an offer, or you are not.

However, if you moved, they could potentially "upgrade" for a fee to move with you.  Same deck, close by, they would just have to pay the fare difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

There is no way to get an offer by "talking" to them.  You are either extended an offer, or you are not.

I was extended an offer. The carnival website was glitching so I had to call and after a long wait on hold the rep saw that the room I was offered was sold while I was having tech issues. As I spoke to her I asked about a cabin in the same category ( I always look at a deck plans when I talk with Carnival about cabins ) She put me in an even better room that I inquired about. I also have read here on CC many times about getting called with upsell offers. 

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo

Just went through a similar experience yesterday: got the call from the upgrade fairy to up from an inside to a balcony, but there were none on the same deck, and we're traveling with my parents so we wanted to be nearby. They were already booked in a balcony room, so she was able to find two nearby ocean suites and upgraded both cabins (for a fee, ours was obviously higher since it was a bigger category jump). Make sure your bookings are linked as that's how she was able to see we were traveling together and process upgrades for both rooms together. 

2 hours ago, kicia said:

What's an upgrade? (free or paid).  Haven't gotten any in 75 cruises.  We must be on someone's s**t list.

You must be booking tasty balconies or suites. Not much chance of an upgrade there. 

11 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I was extended an offer. The carnival website was glitching so I had to call and after a long wait on hold the rep saw that the room I was offered was sold while I was having tech issues. As I spoke to her I asked about a cabin in the same category ( I always look at a deck plans when I talk with Carnival about cabins ) She put me in an even better room that I inquired about. I also have read here on CC many times about getting called with upsell offers. 

I think that's what the OP should have done.☺️

20 hours ago, IrritatedEllipses said:

Why would you send this out into the Universe? What did I ever do to you? 

Let me guess, Leafs fan 😞

Thats just the way the universe works in my section of it. I'm assuming that be calling me a Leafs fan, you are insinuating that I'm a hockey fan?  You couldn't be further away, can't stand hockey.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, IrritatedEllipses said:

I've been rather lucky with the upgrade fairy in past and I'm batting 1.000 when it comes to getting the call (out of... two cruises so data points might be a little sparse) even though we've never taken them up on the offer. I

To trick you into loving those better cabins for when you sign up for your next cruise