A report from the first Zaandam sailing in 790 days.

Ready2go11

16 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think that’s the only thing hal doesn’t have on their menu.  It doesn’t do much for me.  I would never order it.  I think they come around with pastries in club orange.  I can’t remember for sure because I can’t eat them without gaining a ton of weight.  When I hear about the things people eat at the Dutch cafe I don’t know how they aren’t 400 lbs.  I eat pretty sensibly  during the day, walk between 10,000 and 15,000 step plus go to the gym so its not like I’m sitting around all day.

I can't remember the last time I ate a pastry. When I saw the offerings at the Dutch Cafe, and the people ordering them, I agree that I don't know how people can eat like that.  Nice if you can, but I'm not one of them.  Lastly, I'm pretty fine with the breakfast offerings on board.  I don't know how they could improve.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 9:17 AM, prescottbob said:

Thanks for the reports.

I've re-read the postings and viewed pictures you provided, and it appears the cabins electrical outlet configurations, TV and DVD players have not changed from pre-Covid days. Is this correct?

With that in mind, does the CS desk still handle DVD loaner movies? Non-grounded power strips available? Breakfast in MDR with specials now a thing of the past? Afternoon wine tastings and "sip and savor" pre-dinner gatherings also no mas? 

I was just curious. I apologize if you have already answered some of these queries & I missed your responses.

Thanks again.

Be well.

Bob

Are you going to be on the V of V? We will be and will look forward to seeing you both if so! 

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think they come around with pastries in club orange.  

Please explain to me why I should have to pay for the Club Orange experience to have a Steward offer the pastry tray to me at Breakfast?  The pastries are available.  The Steward who will take my breakfast order can offer this tray as well as pour my first cup of Coffee before he takes my order.  No additional staff are required.  

I think they come around with pastries in club orange.  

Please explain to me why I should have to pay for the Club Orange experience to have a Steward offer the pastry tray to me at Breakfast?  The pastries are available.  The Steward who will take my breakfast order can offer this tray as well as pour my first cup of Coffee before he takes my order.  No additional staff are required.  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I did say you should have to have it.  I’m just saying they do I believe.  It’s a much small venue so easier to navigate.  Are you saying you asked for pastries and they refused?  I don’t blame them for not doing it.  I bet the save quite a lot of waste.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Are you saying you asked for pastries and they refused?  

Yes,  until I made a stink.  That was when there still were Assistant Stewards for Breakfast.  One  of those was sent to the Lido to obtain some pastries.  Presented to me on a plate with a limited variety, but, that was acceptable.  My most recent cruise in January, 2020 on the Eurodam, a small tray was available, but I had to ask for it.  (I could see it sitting on a counter.)  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes,  until I made a stink.  That was when there still were Assistant Stewards for Breakfast.  One  of those was sent to the Lido to obtain some pastries.  Presented to me on a plate with a limited variety, but, that was acceptable.  My most recent cruise in January, 2020 on the Eurodam, a small tray was available, but I had to ask for it.  (I could see it sitting on a counter.)  

That is ridiculous.  It’s right on the menu.  You should be able to ask for a muffin, croissant etc.  I could see if it was something they didn’t have on hand that day but they should say that then.   

That is ridiculous.  It’s right on the menu.  You should be able to ask for a muffin, croissant etc.  

Yes, there are many Breakfast pastries listed on the menu.  What I was objecting to was the lack of the presentation and availability of a  pastry tray when I could select the items that I wished.  Just as I had been previously able to do.  

22 hours ago, janmcn said:

mention warm sticky buns!

These delights are good reasons for patronizing the Lido for Breakfast.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, there are many Breakfast pastries listed on the menu.  What I was objecting to was the lack of the presentation and availability of a  pastry tray when I could select the items that I wished.  Just as I had been previously able to do.  

These delights are good reasons for patronizing the Lido for Breakfast.  

Unfortunately those days are likely gone.  Probably the lido is the best bet.  I remember when they used to bring the desserts on a tray for the table to look at.  It’s been a long time since that happened.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:15 PM, Copper10-8 said:

We just had Ian as CD on Zuiderdam in April and he is scheduled to work HAL's first Grand World Voyage in three years

What happened to Hamish?

I remember when they used to bring the desserts on a tray for the table to look at.  It’s been a long time since that happened.

When the tray presentation disappeared, the desserts were displayed on a cart at the front of the MDR.  Then, that disappeared.  You are correct, it has been a long time since those days.  It's a diminishing of the HAL cruise experience.  

As I learned, when I insisted that I wanted a presentation of breakfast pastries, it could be done.  As I think I posted, what irritated me the most was seeing a tray of the pastries sitting on a counter and there was no effort of that tray being offered to any of that Steward's guests.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, St Pete Cruiser said:

If Zaandam is really doing 26 knots, she must have a teflon slick hull! Maybe a following wind, too.

We did 26 knots on the Zaandam as well in april 2019 , from FLL to Boston. The captain made an announcement back then saying that due to a favorite wind and current it felt like steering a speedboat. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:15 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately those days are likely gone.  Probably the lido is the best bet.  I remember when they used to bring the desserts on a tray for the table to look at.  It’s been a long time since that happened.

On our recent Rotterdam cruise you could just ask for ‘em and they were brought to the table.

• Like 1