Equinox family oceanview stateroom with veranda

stevetod

My wife and I are thinking of booking the Family oceanview stateroom with veranda for 2023 and would love opinions on this cabin from anyone who have any knowledge. I know it is in front of ship and wondering how windy it gets on the balcony? It would just be for the two of us but would like the extra room.

You will experience a lot of motion in the front of the ship. Also, you may have to close your curtains at night to prevent light to interfere with sight on the bridge. They may also prevent you from booking as they want more than two in the room.  It is a 'Family Veranda".

We had family room on Millenium Baltic cruise many years ago.We already had rooms booked and it came up about a month before we left so we grabbed them. We loved it so much room and we did have rough seas in North Atlantic but we don’t have trouble with seasickness. Waves one evening came over other bow,we loved it.

We had the family veranda cabin on Reflction earlier this year, won on a moveup bid. I can be sensitive to motion but did not have any problems. (We were in the Caribbean however, so not rough seas). Loved the extra space!. The veranda was partly covered at the front so that prevented too much wind. Would definitely book again

6 hours ago, stevetod said:

My wife and I are thinking of booking the Family oceanview stateroom with veranda for 2023 and would love opinions on this cabin from anyone who have any knowledge. I know it is in front of ship and wondering how windy it gets on the balcony? It would just be for the two of us but would like the extra room.

We have been on S class FVs for 6 different sailings (71 total nights). They are very nice and spacious cabins for my family of four. 

The corner location is nice because you get two large windows that look out over the ship’s bow. And you have the balcony that looks over the side of the ship. So very nice views and lots of light. 

The balcony is designed so that it is very wind protected. Wind will not be a problem and you can enjoy yourself out there. 

We have not noticed much motion from the ship’s movement (Caribbean Sea, Coral Sea, and Tasman Sea) but your experience and sea roughness may be different.

The Deck 8 FVs are much much nicer than the ones on Deck 7. Deck 8 FVs have larger cabins and a little more furniture. The Deck 8 FV balcony is much larger and better than Deck 7. In fact, there Deck 8 FV balcony is actually longer than a standard balcony.  Deck 7 FV balcony is inferior to a standard balcony.  

Also note that the FVs are furnished differently among the S class ships. That is important to know if you are comparing photographs. Solstice and Equinox FVs (first two S class ships) are sparsely furnished. The last two S class ships (Silhouette and Reflection) were done  properly and the FVs were very well furnished when they were built. Eclipse FVs are in between--furnished better Solstice/Equinox but not as well as Silhouette/Reflection. 

Here are some other comments I recently posted about the FVs on Solstice that you may find interesting:

EA8762E8-4C03-4D0A-A47F-66A9C461768C.jpeg
Solstice FV 8107 balcony. The ship’s bow is behind the photographer. Dec 2019. 

Edited by mahdnc

23 hours ago, stevetod said:

Thanks so much for the input. The only FV available are on deck 7 so not sure.

AND, you are not a family of 4-5 as earlier stated.  The only way to get that cabin is if you are offered to bid on it in a Move-Up.

32 minutes ago, stevetod said:

Sorry incorrect. Spoke to my travel agent and they said minimum is two people and can be booked.

For this far out in advance--a 2023 cruise--I am impressed.

Edited by mahdnc

There's a hack to get them but you do need to find an X booking rep willing to do it.  Just say you need to book room now since its available and you'll figure out who you'll bring later.  They usually write "TBD" for the additional name then you can remove them closer to the sail date.