COVID-19 TEST TIMING QUESTION

Wbaildon14

We are sailing on the Viking Sea Empires of the Mediterranean (Venice - Athens) June 6 - 15th.  We are doing a pre-cruise extension in Venice so are flying from the US on June 3rd. Viking’s requirement is that we have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding the first international flight.  Does the 72 hour requirement still apply if we are doing a pre-cruise extension?   Or does it need to be sooner since we are doing the extension?

If you are doing a Viking extension the PCR test must be within 72 hours of your first international flight. If you are doing the days in Venice pre cruise on your own then the test must be within 72 hours of boarding the ship. I’m assuming you are doing the Viking extension so 72 hours before the international flight will work. 

• Like 1

I find this to still be current...

To travel with Viking please ensure you have the following:
1. Valid Passport- must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates. 
2. Proof of full COVID-19 immunization
- Viking strongly recommends a booster dose administered when eligible. Some countries along your itinerary may require 
 a booster dose for entry.
3. Proof of negative COVID-19 Test (laboratory-certified) Viking does accept select at-home COVID-19 tests. 
- PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding first international flight, (or joining Viking if traveling independently,) or 
- Antigen test taken within 24 hours prior to boarding first international flight (or joining Viking if traveling independently,)

- UK Guests: if you use an antigen test (lateral flow), the testing provider must issue a fit to fly certificate.
- And/or Proof of Recovery: If you have recovered from a COVID-19 infection (within 10–90 days prior to departure) ensure 
you carry documentation of recovery or a positive PCR test result from the time of infection.

20 hours ago, Wbaildon14 said:

We are sailing on the Viking Sea Empires of the Mediterranean (Venice - Athens) June 6 - 15th.  We are doing a pre-cruise extension in Venice so are flying from the US on June 3rd. Viking’s requirement is that we have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding the first international flight.  Does the 72 hour requirement still apply if we are doing a pre-cruise extension?   Or does it need to be sooner since we are doing the extension?

We are leaving close to the same time you are only we will be on Viking Mars from Bergen to London.  We are doing an Iceland extension.  We have to have a PCR test within 72 hours or an antigen test within 24 hours of our international flight.  The agent at Viking said we will have a Covid test at the hotel in Iceland on the last day before we board the plane to Norway to board the cruise.  

Is it 72 hours or 3 days? My first international flight is 5/27 at 5:10 PM. I originally scheduled a PCR test at 11:00 am on the 25th. That was clearly inside of the window. Then I realized that we have the 1 day risk guarantee and I was afraid that if either of us tested positive we would get the results too late to cancel under the guarantee so we moved the test to 11 am on the 24th. Will this be OK. I remember hearing that 72 hours was actually 3 days but I'm not sure if it was Viking.

10 minutes ago, Virgo61 said:

Is it 72 hours or 3 days? My first international flight is 5/27 at 5:10 PM. I originally scheduled a PCR test at 11:00 am on the 25th. That was clearly inside of the window. Then I realized that we have the 1 day risk guarantee and I was afraid that if either of us tested positive we would get the results too late to cancel under the guarantee so we moved the test to 11 am on the 24th. Will this be OK. I remember hearing that 72 hours was actually 3 days but I'm not sure if it was Viking.

My information from Viking says 72 hours, so your test on the 24th would be outside of the 72 hours.  We're going to schedule an Antigen (1-2 hour) test the morning of our flight (8pm) in case we haven't heard the PCR results taken 2 days before.

Do you have a Rapid PCR test location in Charlotte? We're also using the 24 hour RFG in the event of a positive test. Our testing location guarantees a 16 hour turnaround which gives us plenty of time to cancel. Medicare covers the basic cost, we pay $75 each for the rapid result. 

We used this testing location for a Viking River cruise in Sept. and had results in 9-10 hours.

We have used a CVS Minute Clinic for several Covid tests. We have always received results the next day in the afternoon. We also used them for for a rapid test with results in an hour or 2 but there are currently no appointments available.  I'll check Walgreens next. There's also a testing site in the parking lot of the mall we walk at.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:20 AM, Virgo61 said:

I just received an update from Viking.  Page one states 72 hours; page three says '3 days'.  hello?  Viking: 72 hours v. 3 days...there may be a difference.

CTLeeA,

I noticed that too.  My husband says I’m over thinking things. The test is for Viking,  not Spain so if they think it’s too old, they can test us again, which they will when we get to the boat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

CTLeeA,

I noticed that too.  My husband says I’m over thinking things. The test is for Viking,  not Spain so if they think it’s too old, they can test us again, which they will when we get to the boat.

Viking told me today that if the test is beyond either the 3 day or 72 hour window (which ever is applicable), it's invalid.  Check my other post..they made another mistake in their communication.

We followed the instructions given by Viking, over the phone and in e mails, to the letter.(An antigen test kit used in the overnight hotel with certificate sen by e mail)  At check in on board the ship we were NOT asked for the certificate.  We were tested on boarding but were not given a result. We were tested every day on board and did not get a piece of paper quoting Negative until the last night on board.    Make all of that what you will. J

13 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

We followed the instructions given by Viking, over the phone and in e mails, to the letter.(An antigen test kit used in the overnight hotel with certificate sen by e mail)  At check in on board the ship we were NOT asked for the certificate.  We were tested on boarding but were not given a result. We were tested every day on board and did not get a piece of paper quoting Negative until the last night on board.    Make all of that what you will. J

Surprised that you weren’t asked for test result before boarding. We were on a recent Alaska cruise, and so were others who checked in at the same time as us. 

Not surprised that you weren’t give boarding or daily test results. You would only be advised if tested positive. 

7 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Same here Jay.  It was on embarking in Bergen Norway for Shores & Fjords.  I even asked, don't you want to see the test results and they said no.  You'll be tested now just ahead of boarding and that's all that matters.  Kind of bizarre.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kkapaldo said:

OK so does Viking ask for the test results prior to embarkation?

We now have been on 4 Viking cruises since June 2021. All 4 required us to produce negative PCR test results at our embarkation. 

I would recommend you follow Viking's published requirements and show up with the required documents. If for some reason they don't ask for or check yours... lucky you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

We now have been on 4 Viking cruises since June 2021. All 4 required us to produce negative PCR test results at our embarkation. 

I would recommend you follow Viking's published requirements and show up with the required documents. If for some reason they don't ask for or check yours... lucky you.

Again, we have been on 5 Viking cruises since June 2021.   Just 3 of them asked us to produce the negative PCR test results at embarkation.   The others we asked them if we could proudly show them our test results and they were not interested.  There certainly is no consistency in Viking.   The ones interested were Bermuda, Rome, and Ft Lauderdale.  The ones that didn't care were Bergen and Amsterdam.

Edited by CCWineLover

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Not lucky. We went to the time, trouble and expense of testing as requested, only to find it was not required. However, I would not recommend that you don't carry out the pre-boarding tests as instructed, 72 hours or 24 hours ahead.   You never know what the check in people may say.. J

• Like 1

This has probably been covered but my mind is boggled.  If we are doing a Viking extension prior to embarkation who will look and and assess the "validity" of our pre-flight tests.  We have multiple options for getting this testing done and the prices range from "nominal" to $300.00 each.  We are going to Oslo then to Bergen to board and Norway does not require any testing at this point ... certainly don't want to spend $600 if one of the more nominal ones will do.  

23 minutes ago, molymoo said:

This has probably been covered but my mind is boggled.  If we are doing a Viking extension prior to embarkation who will look and and assess the "validity" of our pre-flight tests.  We have multiple options for getting this testing done and the prices range from "nominal" to $300.00 each.  We are going to Oslo then to Bergen to board and Norway does not require any testing at this point ... certainly don't want to spend $600 if one of the more nominal ones will do.  

We're going to CVS for a PCR test.  It doesn't cost anything.