Kenai Fjords before cruise?

Cruisin Cheeseheads

Hello! We've done a couple Alaska cruises, but they've been northbound. This summer, we're doing a southbound cruise on Radiance of the Seas, leaving from Seward. The ship leaves Seward at 8:00 pm. Right now, we have a shuttle bus booked to arrive in Seward (from Anchorage) around 9:45 with a Kenai Fjords tour from 11:30-5:30 and then directly boarding the cruise ship. We're second guessing whether this will be enough time - or if it will be too stressful! We've come up with another option - taking a taxi early in the morning from Anchorage (we wouldn't mind this as we'll still be on "home" time) to arrive in Seward by 7:00 & doing a 8 am Kenai Fjords tour. This would be done by 2 and allow a little more leeway for boarding the ship.

I'm wondering if any of you have done an 11:30 Kenai Fjords tour before boarding a cruise - is this something that is doable? If you were planning, which option would you choose?

Thanks!

We are doing the same in July except leaving on the NCL Jewel departing at 9 pm.  We’re on an excursion with Major Marine ending at 5:30 pm.  I called Major Marine and asked to reserve a spot on their shuttle to take us directly to the ship after the boat tour.   They are also storing our luggage during the trip (we’re arriving via the train).

We’ve been to Seward a few times and are comfortable with this timeline.  It’s a pretty small town and I’m not worried.  Major Marine told me there are a number of people on our tour who need to get the the ship.  The woman also said that the tour must return in time to make the 6 pm train back to Anchorage.  Seems they contract with Alaska Railroad on a train/sea excursion.

Edited by disneyochem

Our friends are on a back to back on the Serenade of the Seas, and did this tour on their turn around day.  It worked out perfectly!  This company runs like a well oiled machine, and are committed to ensuring that their guests get to the cruise port and train station in plenty of time.

I assume that you know how far it is from Anchorage to Seward.  The Uber fare would be $412 plus a significant tip plus meals for the driver.  Your taxi fare would be $351 plus tip plus meals.

DON

• Like 2

I would double check with Royal Caribbean what the final arrival time is to still check in & board and what time the porters stop accepting luggage drop offs. If you can drop your luggage (and even check in) prior to taking the Kenai Fjords trip, that would probably work best.

Thank you so much everyone - this is all helpful info! We do know how far it is to Seward & have a quote for $400 for taxi fare. We have four of us in our group, so it actually doesn't sound terrible. The bus is just under $300 for all of us.

I would like to verify times with Royal Caribbean - our setsail pass online says 2:30-6:30 & that's what they told me on the phone yesterday, but the last check-in time option on the app is 5-5:30, which is what is making me nervous. I'm not sure that we could drop luggage or check in before 11:30, because the earliest time is either 12:30 (on the app) or 2:30 (setsail pass).

In the past, Kenai Fjords Tours has taken care of our luggage, but they've taken it to Alaska Railroad, so I'm not sure they do that for a cruise. (We're using Kenai Fjords Tours, not Major Marine) It's a good point that they need to make it back for the train! We've done that twice without concern & as long as we can board the ship at 6, then it shouldn't be a problem.

The timing should be fine, but I understand not wanting the extra stress.   

Just a quick note to please be patient with everyone in Seward right now, they just had a big landslide which took out the road to Lowell Point/Miller's Landing.  Some of the tour companies have stepped in to help ferry people/supplies back and forth in the meantime, but I would expect a little extra chaos over the next couple weeks until they get the road cleared.  

19 hours ago, Cruisin Cheeseheads said:

(We're using Kenai Fjords Tours, not Major Marine

Really no opinion about your plans, but, I do know about Kenai Fjords Tours.  Major Marine gets much "press" on CC for such tours, but, my Alaskan citizen Nephew chose Kenai Fjords for my visit to that National Park.  It was a great tour, excellent narration, seemed to be fewer people when we came close to a Major Marine tour boat, and enjoyed a nice lunch.  

• Like 1

I've done this at least four times, except that I have arrived by train from Anchorage around 11:00 a.m.  You check your luggage in Anchorage and the next time you see it is in your cruise cabin.  After the Kenai Fjords tour, just hop a shuttle over to the ship terminal and get checked in.  You have plenty of time.

Enjoy the Kenai.  This is one of my favorite days in Alaska especially if the weather cooperates.