Our Marvelous Mardi Gras B2B (with pics!) - April 23rd, 2022

Jamman54

Patti continues following the Nature Trail…..

i-CfzP9SQ-X2.jpg

i-cQkpBS4-X2.jpg

i-ZzjMDqS-X2.jpg

i-z6SPmMr-X2.jpg

i-zsknsWW-X2.jpg

Patti captures some of the flora and fauna…..

i-PDtXT5r-X2.jpg

i-FmCWSBk-X2.jpg

i-RdF4Jn2-X2.jpg

Once she emerges from the Nature Trail she heads over to where the Carnival Excursions and taxi’s leave from……

i-qk2cfDC-X2.jpg

Here are the taxi rates…..

i-m46rFgC-X2.jpg

This picture brings back memories. The first time we came here around six years ago, we had a non Carnival excursion booked. Independent excursion providers were not allowed onto the Mahogany Bay property to pick you up, so you had to walk up this hill and down the other side, and off of the property where they could meet and pick you up. However, upon return they were allowed onto the property to drop you off. Not sure if this is still the case or not.

i-jBvcmPm-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 7

On the edge of the property you’ll find the Extreme Zip-Line Adventure…..

i-w83fgMs-X2.jpg

Patti is heading to explore the shops, bars, and restaurants of Mahogany Bay…..

i-NxhbNsx-X2.jpg

i-PW3bfpk-X2.jpg

i-JFCNGbx-X2.jpg

i-gdk3Tj9-X2.jpg

i-vK6tqLK-X2.jpg

i-7tWxtg5-X2.jpg

i-swCBkJL-X2.jpg

i-pjjKfjH-X2.jpg

i-2RkgN3d-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 5

Patti is going to head back to Mahogany Beach. She’ll take the Magical Chairs back. Here are some views…..

i-94WLGJM-X2.jpg

i-SzVtGd9-X2.jpg

i-jvzJzHs-X2.jpg

i-N8pJG33-X2.jpg

i-MTKcKBN-X2.jpg

i-F4q4XRC-X2.jpg

Patti spots our cabin again, outlined in red…..

i-d3j64G2-X2.jpg

Patti continues on the Magical Chairs…..

i-2FCcXwr-X2.jpg

i-WDrPJxC-X2.jpg

i-SNrqJt8-X2.jpg

i-jFmm64Z-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, blarko said:

Yours are the best post cruise reviews I’ve ever read. It’s almost like being there with you 😀

Thanks! That's the effect that we are looking for. "Live" reviews aren't our thing to do, but we sure enjoy reading them! :classic_laugh:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 3

Once Patti got back to the cabana, she found me enjoying myself in the water…..

i-m3MdvJn-X2.jpg

i-qwbzwbZ-X2.jpg

I came ashore and had Jerry bring us some more drinks. I’m starting on my second bucket of beer…..

i-dRPGQjL-X2.jpg

i-nPbZdkm-X2.jpg

A short time later we had Jerry bring us some lunch. Patti had the chicken fingers, and I had the loaded nachos…..

i-jKHWFCF-X2.jpg

i-sGc7kHL-X2.jpg

We noticed that every cabana had hummingbird feeders. Man, those little birds are fast!

i-vTLN3bp-X2.jpg

i-rDb7wXS-X2.jpg

i-gnXhZP9-X2.jpg

At this point the camera got put away and we spent the afternoon enjoying our cabana, the beach bed, the water, and our drinks. Around 4:30 we decided to head back to the ship. Our tab, including a large tip for our server Jerry, was $170. We will be back here on the Celebration next April, and our Beach Cabana is already booked!

To be continued…..

• Like 9

We hung out in the cabin until sail away at 6:00. The last of the pier runners appeared in the distance…..

i-ZLRR3CF-X2.jpg

The Mardi Gras sails away from Mahogany Bay…..

i-VHMvK3d-X2.jpg

i-WtmH3s6-X2.jpg

i-h7pcdJ5-X2.jpg

i-JzQGLdD-X2.jpg

i-RvfK6mM-X2.jpg

i-QQq788g-X2.jpg

i-QKckDHt-X2.jpg

i-KDCJvtD-X2.jpg

i-nZGFw8F-X2.jpg

i-PvbKr5c-X2.jpg

That’s the cabana area where we were today…..

i-Kbb2Jfz-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 6

Tonight we went back to Cucina del Capitano for dinner. It was not a very good experience. First, it was very crowded. Second, it took forever for someone to take our food and drink orders. Third, it took even longer for said orders to be delivered. To top it off, all the food came out just luke warm. If this had been our experience last week, we wouldn’t have been back. We both started with the Caprese salad….

i-55tnDNv-X2.jpg

Patti had the spaghetti carbonara and the chicken parmesan……

i-dTzWLKq-X2.jpg

i-93rK3nk-X2.jpg

I had Nonna’s meatball and the short rib……

i-PmzcQPM-X2.jpg

i-GWCc77J-X2.jpg

We both had the apple crostata for dessert…..

i-xfxvfMM-X2.jpg

The best part of this meal was that we didn’t have to pay for it!

Afterwards, we walked around the ship for a while. The Backyard Band was playing at the Pig & Anchor…..

i-74vFbTG-X2.jpg

The Beelay Jazz Trio and friends were playing at the Brass Magnolia…..

i-5z9tdxW-X2.jpg

At Center Stage they were playing “Finish the Lyric” where two teams face off against each other to see who was best at finishing the lyrics of a song……

i-HtTp67C-X2.jpg

i-mgNmn9D-X2.jpg

i-tdBs8Hm-X2.jpg

i-rmVRcGb-X2.jpg

It was a lot of fun, and the audience really enjoyed playing along…..

i-FHvPFdj-X2.jpg

Back to the cabin where we found tonight’s towel creature…..

i-9c4kLkF-X2.jpg

Coming up next: Let’s eat! Diamond Luncheon and Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse.

• Like 7

Guest BasicSailor
48 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Tonight we went back to Cucina del Capitano for dinner. It was not a very good experience. First, it was very crowded. Second, it took forever for someone to take our food and drink orders. Third, it took even longer for said orders to be delivered. To top it off, all the food came out just luke warm. If this had been our experience last week, we wouldn’t have been back. We both started with the Caprese salad….

Coming from you that has to be a bit degrading of Carnival. Does the ship still look understaffed or just too many people to accommodate?

Edited by BasicSailor

4 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Coming from you that has to be a bit degrading of Carnival. Does the ship still look understaffed or just too many people to accommodate?

I really can't explain it. The first week we were on there were 5800+ passengers  aboard and Cucina was great. The second week there were 400 less passengers and Cucina was not so great. However, the second week Cucina was very crowded when we went, so maybe they couldn't handle that type of rush.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
3 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I really can't explain it. The first week we were on there were 5800+ passengers  aboard and Cucina was great. The second week there were 400 less passengers and Cucina was not so great. However, the second week Cucina was very crowded when we went, so maybe they couldn't handle that type of rush.

I truly admire your honesty, knowing your love for cruising and that ship . Still reading and thanks for your updates.

Edited by BasicSailor

4 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

This picture brings back memories. The first time we came here around six years ago, we had a non Carnival excursion booked. Independent excursion providers were not allowed onto the Mahogany Bay property to pick you up, so you had to walk up this hill and down the other side, and off of the property where they could meet and pick you up. However, upon return they were allowed onto the property to drop you off. Not sure if this is still the case or not.

i-jBvcmPm-X2.jpg

To be continued……

I can conferm that is still the case.  Ann and I went to Paradise Beach, witch was nice, and had there pool all to ourselfs for hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

I can conferm that is still the case.  Ann and I went to Paradise Beach, witch was nice, and had there pool all to ourselfs for hours.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Could be an option for us IF we can't get a Beach Cabana. 😎

9 hours ago, rwest898 said:

Can you please tell me how much the poolside cabanas were on Grand Turk.  Thank you!!

When we booked it six months prior to sailing it was $240. I wouldn't be surprised if the price has been raised since then. We are waiting for them to be available for our Freedom cruise in January. 😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

When we booked it six months prior to sailing it was $240. I wouldn't be surprised if the price has been raised since then. We are waiting for them to be available for our Freedom cruise in January. 😎

Thank you!! We have a long way to go because my cruise is not until October 2023 but I still check every day.  The have some Grand Turk excursions listed but no cabanas yet.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Jamman, did Patty get any pics of water works? Or do you guys happen to know what the height requirement is for the bigger water slides? 

Yes we did, and we posted them several times during the course of this review. I'll post three of them now so you don't have to search.....

i-vBRtJqb-X2.jpg

i-M6TQN73-X2.jpg

i-8rzpzT8-X2.jpg

Usually when we take pictures of a venue, we like to take pictures of any signage that goes along with them. Somehow we failed to do this on the Mardi Gras for the Waterworks, so we apologize for that. Looking back at our Panorama and Horizon reviews, we've seen the "big" slides that have height requirements of 42" and 48". Hopefully, someone will see this and post these requirements for the Mardi Gras. :classic_cool:

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Hi Jamman - how do you find out the passenger count? I just realized in all the years I've seen passenger counts on this forum I've never actually known how everyone finds them.

And...we completed online check-in at 12:01 this morning for our 6/25 sailing. Mardi Gras here we come! 🥳

• Like 2

Jamman,

Your review and Patti's pictures are just wonderful, and I've really enjoyed following along.

A bit off topic question: Did Patti get the new Canon SX740 HS camera yet? If so, how does she like it? I'm thinking about buying that same camera.

• Like 1