Questions: First time on Paul Gauguin

wberthin

Hi, we just booked a 10 day Tuamotus and Society Islands cruise for this fall. 

1)I couldnt find anywhere on Paul Gauguin where you sign in, enter or your details, review your booking and book things like excursions.  Am I missing something, or do you not do any of this and just do book things when on board? 

2)Also, does Paul Gauguin offer a day excursion when you leave the ship to fill the time prior to evening flights, and if so, can you point me to it (for information and cost) please.  Again, how do you book it?

3)Are all ports except Papeete tenders?

4)What time do  you have to leave the ship on the last day?

5)The private beach on Bora Bora, do you have access both days you are in Bora Bora or just one (and if the latter, which day)?

Thanks so much

We generally do independent excursions but from what recall, could pre-book shore excursions on their site once sail date was close in the pre Covid and pre Ponant era.

Assuming you have done air through Paul Gauguin, disembarkation day in pre Covid and pre Ponant era includes free option of bus tour of Tahiti then transfer to hotel day room or direct transfer to day room followed by evening transfer to airport. If have not done air through Paul Gauguin, would have to contact them or TA for pricing.

From what I recall, all ports are tenders on that itinerary except for Papeete.

I can look through my paperwork for exact disembarkation times but in general they are like most cruise lines in that they want you out of your cabin and off the ship pretty early.

Bora Bora private beach is open both days.

Does your cruise have a dedicated Roll Call? Might want to check in there or start one....

Edited by EPTCB

The Bora Bora private beach is beautiful but lacking in amenities.  They bring some water/soda/juice and some kayaks but that is about it.  Very little, if any, seating.  Very little, if any, shade.  Nice to visit but I would not plan my days around it.  Try and get out on the lagoon with one of many fantastic snorkel companies.  We love Pure Snorkeling.  As a contrast, the private motu at Taha'a is spectacular.

PG used to include the cost of air in their packages.  Now that is ala carte but you can purchase the air from them.  Price it out as it may not be worthwhile.  If you do get their air they do include the transport from the airport to the pier (taxi would be $30) and at the end of the cruise they take you to a hotel for a day room and then bring you to the airport that evening.  If you are independent you usually need to get off the ship at around 9 am to 10 am.

All ports are tenders as you asked.  Reportedly the PG website has been down for months meaning you would need to call to reserve excursions.  You can view the excursions on the website, you just can't book them.

Did you use a TA??  If so, I would contact them.

Found an old disembarkation sheet: it requests that everyone with independent arrangements be off of the ship by 10 am and that those doing tour transfers or direct transfers to day room be off ship to board buses between noon and 12:30. 

Breakfast is available on disembarkation day between 6 and 10 am and lunch is available from 11 am to noon.

My knowledge is all pre-ponant, and thus pre-covid.

The nice thing about the Bora Bora beach is that it's just a lovely stretch of beach and water.  So it's wonderful if you just want to spread out a towel and relax and have a dip, or walk on the beach.  Do bring your beach shoes (that goes everywhere in FP.) 

There used to be a pre-flight tour offered and/or a short dayroom stay in a hotel for late flights, if you arranged Air through PG.

I think excursions are available about 30 days prior.  Hope you have a wonderful time!

• 2 weeks later...

apologies for more questions on this topic. We love to eat outside, especially with Covid. Is the weather amenable in July/August, are there covered areas if it rains, and can one essentially eat every meal outside?

13 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

apologies for more questions on this topic. We love to eat outside, especially with Covid. Is the weather amenable in July/August, are there covered areas if it rains, and can one essentially eat every meal outside?

There are places to eat outside for every meal .... and it if rains it's covered 😉

July August are the driest months though there usually is brief showers now and then. The trade off is the flora isn't a pretty and the waterfalls not as spectacular. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

13 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

You can manage to eat outside, since there's outdoor space in the main dining room I believe, as well as La Verandah.  And Le Grill, for dinner, is an indoor/outdoor dining area, also open for breakfast.  All covered.