Lost Passport

Someone travelling with us has lost their passport !!! No chance of having an emergency appointment with the passport office before sail date.

Anyone have experience of what we need to do next ?

Wondering whether we can change the name, what the cancellation policy involves and whether insurance covers lost passports.

Have phoned travel agent and am waiting for a call back…but any advice gratefully received.

Assuming they're UK citizens, I am not able to advise unfortunately, but I would recommend also reaching out to the cruise line. Travel agents are (often) great, but the official word will come from the cruise line and I would reach out to them immediately. 

37 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Someone travelling with us has lost their passport !!! No chance of having an emergency appointment with the passport office before sail date.

Anyone have experience of what we need to do next ?

Wondering whether we can change the name, what the cancellation policy involves and whether insurance covers lost passports.

Have phoned travel agent and am waiting for a call back…but any advice gratefully received.

Without knowing what cruise line you're on, your itinerary and the nationality of the person who lost their passport it's impossible to answer your questions.

In general insurance doesn't cover this, but you need to read your insurance policy.

Rather than just naming the cruise line here it would be helpful for you to post on your cruise line's board because posters there would be most familiar with that line's policies. 

Edited by njhorseman

54 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Someone travelling with us has lost their passport

Have they checked their scanner/copier? It is surprising how often documents show up in these seldom used devices.

Edited by whogo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, whogo said:

Have they checked their scanner/copier? It is surprising how often documents show up in these seldom used devices.

He was travelling with it..showed at gate to board plane, arrived at LHR without it ! Not at airport, not in bags, nothing from airline and not found in Heathrow. It’s now been cancelled.

Thanks for suggestion though.

any chance of contacting the  Embassy of the Country where the passport was issued  where you are to see if they can provide a new passport for the trip??

Good suggestion, but he is in home country now, where there is a huge problem getting passports, even if prepared to pay top dollar for an emergency appointment. Can’t get an appointment for love nor money.

Had been out of country to visit family, and came home ready to cruise.. a shame the passport didn’t make it. Was allowed in using Driving Licence but can’t use it to leave and then return again. Such a pain ! 

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Good suggestion, but he is in home country now, where there is a huge problem getting passports, even if prepared to pay top dollar for an emergency appointment. Can’t get an appointment for love nor money.

Had been out of country to visit family, and came home ready to cruise.. a shame the passport didn’t make it. Was allowed in using Driving Licence but can’t use it to leave and then return again. Such a pain ! 

too bad

He could try one of his elected officials office   maybe

I would keep asking the passport office   LOL

We have been checking the passport office site every hour on the hour..during working hours, and even tried to refresh at 2am as we’d been told appointments were released then.  Only one has come up..after our departure date across from the mainland of UK - in Ireland. !!!!!  Sorry if I sound defeated, there have been so many issues with this booking.

Your suggestion of asking an elected official might help..he doesn’t live close to us, so will suggest that to him.

Many thanks.

I wouldn't count insurance out without filing a claim with them. Some policies do cover the loss of travel documents before a trip. As for changing the reservation each cruise line has a different policy for that so it might be worth checking that out as well. I know that your friend feels terrible about this and I, for one, sincerely hope that an emergency passport may still come about. He'll need a cruise after having to deal with this (as will you). Good luck!

• Like 1