Only fantasy out of Jacksonville?

Elsammo46

I’ve noticed that cruises out of Jacksonville only appear to be offered on fantasy-class ships. Is that a problem due to size? Jax is the closest port to me, so I’m just wondering if they ever offer anything larger. 

thanks! 

also sorry if this has been covered 

Ships have to pass under the Dames Point Bridge just east of the cruise terminal. The fantasy class are the only ones that will make it under. We lived in Jacksonville for a few years and it was always fun to watch them go out.

Pin by Big Ooooooooo on Jacksonville...My Town | Jacksonville florida,  Carnival cruise ships, Jacksonville

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Ships have to pass under the Dames Point Bridge just east of the cruise terminal. The fantasy class are the only ones that will make it under. We lived in Jacksonville for a few years and it was always fun to watch them go out.

Pin by Big Ooooooooo on Jacksonville...My Town | Jacksonville florida,  Carnival cruise ships, Jacksonville

When all of the Fantasy ships are gone, will that end Carnival cruises from Jacksonville or are there other port options they can use that won’t require sailing under the bridge? I have not cruised from there and am not familiar with the ports there.

Just now, JT1962 said:

When all of the Fantasy ships are gone, will that end Carnival cruises from Jacksonville or are there other port options they can use that won’t require sailing under the bridge? I have not cruised from there and am not familiar with the ports there.

There has been talk for years of building another cruise terminal and berth on the east side of the bridge, but I have not kept up with it. Maybe someone else here will know if the idea has gotten any traction.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Carnival’s Spirit class will also fit under the bridge, and they are comparatively younger than the Fantasy class of ship, so those ships could allow sailings from Jacksonville to continue even after the Fantasy class of ships are gone.  However, there are only four of them in the Carnival fleet and they will most likely be deployed where they can generate the most revenue (and short, cheap cruises from Jacksonville may not fit the bill). 

Another option that has been on the table for many year is to develop a cruise port that is east of the bridge (Mayport was long discussed as an alternative, but that never materialized). The current cruise terminal was meant to be a temporary cruise terminal until a permanent one could be built, but somehow it became permanent. Without a firm commitment from Carnival or from other cruise lines, I doubt that a true, permanent cruise terminal will ever be built. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Carnival’s Spirit class will also fit under the bridge, and they are comparatively younger than the Fantasy class of ship, so those ships could allow sailings from Jacksonville to continue even after the Fantasy class of ships are gone.  However, there are only four of them in the Carnival fleet and they will most likely be deployed where they can generate the most revenue (and short, cheap cruises from Jacksonville may not fit the bill). 

Another option that has been on the table for many year is to develop a cruise port that is east of the bridge (Mayport was long discussed as an alternative, but that never materialized). The current cruise terminal was meant to be a temporary cruise terminal until a permanent one could be built, but somehow it became permanent. Without a firm commitment from Carnival or from other cruise lines, I doubt that a true, permanent cruise terminal will ever be built. 

Thanks. It sounds like they have possible  options with the Spirit Class ships for a while longer. 

I know that Tampa has similar limitations on ships due to the Skyway bridge. As ships continue to get bigger, those ports may lose their cruise options. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Interesting that you say only Fantasy class will fit…but the ship in your picture is a Spirit class.  And I sailed from JAX on March 31 on Spirit.  EM

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
28 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Actually, that's a Spirt class ship in the photo 😉

19 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Interesting that you say only Fantasy class will fit…but the ship in your picture is a Spirit class.  And I sailed from JAX on March 31 on Spirit.  EM

18 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Actually, that's a Spirt class ship in the photo 😉

Well, don't I feel 🐑-ish. 🤭 Thanks for the catch!

This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet when I've had more than two glasses of wine! 🤪

• Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
Just now, SRQbeachgirl said:

Well, don't I feel 🐑-ish. 🤭 Thanks for the catch!

This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet when I've had more than two glasses of wine! 🤪

That would make this site really boring again .🤣

I think Spirit class ships may be a little more sensitive to tidal levels relative to the bridge clearance in Jacksonville, but I don't believe it's enough that it can't be overcome via the squat effect. A ship sits lower in the water at faster speeds. 

Here is video of the Elation going under the bridge:

Here is video of the Spirit going under the bridge:

• Like 2

I lived in Jacksonville all my life, have some neat pix of the bridge being built!  We’re now about an hour away and use Port Canaveral because of not liking the ships that have been going out of Jax. We did recently go on the Spirit twice when she was sent to replace Ecstacy for a while. Instead of departing around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, both trips didn’t leave till around 8:30 pm because of having to wait for low tide. Arrival time for the cruises before ours were delayed as well for low tide. 

As others have said, Carnival and the City of Jax would love to build a new cruise terminal east of the bridge. They have tried many times without success to negotiate with the village of Mayport to put a terminal there, but they don’t want to lose the quaintness of their little village . There was a piece of property that would have been ideal, but couldn’t ever reach an agreement. Sure wish they would, it would be a nice boon for the local economy.

17 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

False.  The Carnival Spirit just sailed out of Jacksonville....and the picture you provided looks like a Spirit class ship. But yes, the bridge is an obstacle for larger ships.

2 hours ago, cruiserbrianj said:

False.  The Carnival Spirit just sailed out of Jacksonville....and the picture you provided looks like a Spirit class ship. But yes, the bridge is an obstacle for larger ships.

She said earlier it was her mistake, that photo was the Spirit going under the bridge.