HYPOGEUM Malta

shyla100

Hi all, I am arranging for a tour of the Hypogeum underground at Malta.

Has anyone done this before ? As I am needing some information regarding it.

As I have arranged this for my Brother and my Husband and I am booking a drop off and pick up for them

My questions are does anyone know how long the tour underground is for and when completed is there other things above ground for them to view .

I am trying to work time frame for them as my brother is in his eighties and not that mobile.

I have booked tickets for the 10am tour and I have booked a pick up from the port at 9am, but have no idea what time for pick up? so I can confirm the trans[ort.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Shylya100, I haven’t yet visited the Hypogeum (but hoping to do so next month, before boarding the Sojourn in Valletta). I suggest posting your question on TripAdvisor’s Malta forum — there are helpful/knowledgeable locals who can answer such questions. 

Also, I suggest contacting HeritageMalta.com. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shyla100 said:

I am trying to work time frame for them as my brother is in his eighties and not that mobile.

Hi Shyla, I did this in 2019 and it is wonderful but it is a labyrinth in semi dark as they are trying to preserve it. Can your brother explore caves that have ramps and stairs and is fairly deep and you have to duck at times? I think it is about an hour but if I have forgotten I do remember it was a long time underground. The time schedules seem to indicate about an hour. 

About the area I remember I was struck how it seemed like a normal neighbourhood and then we went around the back to the entrance which had the name clearly displayed. We were with a tour guide who dropped us off and picked us up but their really wasn't much I saw too look at. Mind you I didn't research at all as we were moving on to the next place.

• Like 1

A few years ago we grabbed the local bus and went over to the Hypogeum.  It is in the basement of a relatively obscure building and we only found the place because we had a map (walking from the nearest bus stop).  I recall the tour took less than an hour and, to be honest, it would not be high on my list of "to do" things on Malta.  We only went because we had been in Malta 3 or 4 times (previously) and wanted to try something "different."

Prior to our arrival in Malta we had booked a specific entry/tour time online.  

Hank

1. Next time we are in Malta, we plan to take a taxi to the very old city of Mdina and spend a good part of the day there.  We took a SB excursion there--and were mesmerized by this gorgeous place.  Our excursion took us there early in the morning before most tourists arrived.  That was great, except for the fact that interesting shops were just beginning to open as we left.  I can envision spending almost half a day in Mdina, exploring every winding narrow street, going into every quaint shop and generally soaking in the ambience and history of the place.  Go there---you will not be disappointed!!
Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your advise, I know can book the pick up time and understand what is around that area, very much appreciated.

SLDS Thank you so much for the video really enjoyed it and now know where we will be going after the Hypogeum. Also seeing the video it seems pretty flat so that would be good for my brother .

If anyone else has any ideas it would be appreciated as we have hired a van and a driver for the day.

Frantic36 My husband is with my brother and I am hoping he will cope as he really loves that type of thing, I purchased the ticket and arranged it all as a surprise.

Edited by shyla100

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Prior to our arrival in Malta we had booked a specific entry/tour time online.  

If people do decide to do the Hypogeum pre=booking is a must do. They only allow 80 people in a day so the chances of turning up and getting a ticket are rare.

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

we plan to take a taxi to the very old city of Mdina and spend a good part of the day there.

I agree, it is a lovely place and we look forward to revisiting there this time. The cars are restricted to only essential and local traffic so it has a more laid back feel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shyla100 said:

Thank you all for your advise, I know can book the pick up time and understand what is around that area, very much appreciated.

SLDS Thank you so much for the video really enjoyed it and now know where we will be going after the 

Hypogeum.

If anyone else has any ideas it would be appreciated as we have hired a van and a driver for the day.

Frantic36 My husband is with my brother and I am hoping he will cope as he really loves that type of thing, I purchased the ticket and arranged it all as a surprise.

Shyla, I do remember the staff when we were there were lovely so Hopefully with your husband's help and them taking it slow he should manage. I understand loving that sort of thing as it gave me goosebumps walking through an area that was pre BC. The fact they only found out about it by accident when looking to do some plumbing work makes it interesting to me.

With regards Mdina our driver had to drop as of at the start of the bridge you see in SLSD's video due to the restrictions on cars. 

Are you visiting St John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta. We did it first thing before it got to crowded but it might work the same towards the end of the day. It is almost overwhelming in its opulence as each different knight seemed to spend money to out shine the others. 

We have also been to Marsaxlokk fishing village where we wandered the town and took a ride in one of the little fishing boats with painted eyes around the small harbour. I was indulging my inner tourist. We had a lovely seafood lunch there.

https://www.maltauncovered.com/malta-island/marsaxlokk-fishing-village/

https://www.arrivalguides.com/en/Travelguide/MALTA/doandsee/marsaxlokk-12888

The arrival guide above has a list of lots of things to do in Malta and a great photo of the waterfront and town of Marsaxlokk.

These ideas were over different port stops as you do have to pace yourself especially in July due to the heat. 

Looking forward to saying hello once you get onboard in Barcelona.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 9:26 PM, DC Traveler244 said:

Shylya100, I haven’t yet visited the Hypogeum (but hoping to do so next month, before boarding the Sojourn in Valletta). I suggest posting your question on TripAdvisor’s Malta forum — there are helpful/knowledgeable locals who can answer such questions. 

Also, I suggest contacting HeritageMalta.com. 

Hope this helps!

We’re on the same cruise. Looking forward to meeting you.   I started a roll call the other day.  We’re on 6/16 to 7/3

Edited by carol luvs cruisin

• 2 weeks later...

We did this several years ago, grabbed a taxi at the port to take us there, he checked if we had a booking, waited for us and then gave us an hour tour and dropped us in Valetta, easy walk back to the ship or you an get a lift up/down for the Upper Baraka Gardens

• Like 1