How do you get a COVID test on a schedule when you're out of state?

I looked through the board, and I couldn't find anything on this, but I'm sure plenty of people have done it.

I'm leaving on a cruise next month out of NYC (Cape Liberty, NJ) on a Sunday, and Celebrity requires us to have a COVID test 2 days before we sail. As I'm guessing options are limited on tests on Saturday, we have to do one Friday morning.

The problem is that we'll be in NYC/NJ (not our home state) that day. There are plenty of places that take walk-in's, but to be safe, I want to schedule one.

Does anyone have a suggestion for finding a local place that will let us get the test that morning?

We just take a couple of the BinoxNow Proctored tests with us and do the test when required at our hotel.

so far, we’ve had to take 1 in Florida and 1 in Vancouver, BC.

No issues at all. Other than take an extra test or 2 with you in case something goes TU.

OnPoint Testing (Google it)  provides 24/7 CLIA certified telemedicine proctoring of unopened home tests (with QR code and unexpired date on the boxes) that you provide. This includes the free ones you can get from the US Govt. You do need to make an appointment and the cost is about $25 per person for the proctoring.

OR, if you’re flying, most major airports have onsite CLIA labs with, at least rapid antigen and often rapid PCR tests. Check if appointment is needed/advised.

Depending on the cruise line, they may have pier-side testing available for a fee. 
And, of, course check out major pharmacy chains like Walgreens and CVS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OnPoint Testing (Google it)  provides 24/7 CLIA certified telemedicine proctoring of unopened home tests (with QR code and unexpired date on the boxes) that you provide. This includes the free ones you can get from the US Govt. You do need to make an appointment and the cost is about $25 per person for the proctoring.

OR, if you’re flying, most major airports have onsite CLIA labs with, at least rapid antigen and often rapid PCR tests. Check if appointment is needed/advised.

Depending on the cruise line, they may have pier-side testing available for a fee. 
And, of, course check out major pharmacy chains like Walgreens and CVS.

Airports clinics are my go-to

2 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

You should have no problem scheduling an appointment at Walgreens for a Saturday. I’m getting a test next Saturday for our cruise next Monday. You can sign up the Saturday before your test. 

Walgreens only does drive through testing. The OP will not be at home and there's a good chance they won't have a car. I don't know where they're staying but even if they happen to have a car and are in Manhattan there are no Walgreens stores that do testing because there are no Walgreens stores with drive up windows in Manhattan.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, CruisinWithoutABruisin said:

I looked through the board, and I couldn't find anything on this, but I'm sure plenty of people have done it.

I'm leaving on a cruise next month out of NYC (Cape Liberty, NJ) on a Sunday, and Celebrity requires us to have a COVID test 2 days before we sail. As I'm guessing options are limited on tests on Saturday, we have to do one Friday morning.

The problem is that we'll be in NYC/NJ (not our home state) that day. There are plenty of places that take walk-in's, but to be safe, I want to schedule one.

Does anyone have a suggestion for finding a local place that will let us get the test that morning?

Where will you be staying and will you have a car?

23 minutes ago, CruisinWithoutABruisin said:

The ones we can test by ourselves in the hotel sound best. @klfrodo,  how do they give me a result in less than two days? 

Those are antigen tests, 15 minute results.  They are less sensitive but still accepted (unless you have an unvaccinated under-12 passenger)

59 minutes ago, CruisinWithoutABruisin said:

We will be near Cape Liberty, and no, we won't have a car.

The ones we can test by ourselves in the hotel sound best. @klfrodo,  how do they give me a result in less than two days? 

Yes, in your case one of the proctored self tests is the way to go.