Live: Crown Princess Alaska / May 28-June 4, 2022

QuilterGirl

8 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Are they adjusting the times on excursions or just canceling them? Now that they now we are arriving at 5:30, I would hope that the excursion bookings would be updated. I really don't want to stand in line at customer service on the boat after I get a notice my excursion is cancelled when at the moment I am 2 weeks out an could address it now

Just looked at the Cruise Planner and there are still excursions with times available before we arrive, so it has not been updated.  We leave for Seattle next Friday (10th).

• Like 1

@Valiamo, I have been on seven Princess cruises since the pause, and on none of them was a "Log of the Cruise" (or similarly named) provided.   (I think that is the document about which you are speaking - it's the only paper you would get for the last day - well, that and a final statement print-out, which is also no longer delivered to your room).

As the daily Patter is now only one page front-and-back, there is no room on it for a daily officer bio (but you can find officer names and photos on one screen somewhere on each ship), or for info on port agent contact information (which you should have with you if you are leave the ship on other than a non-Princess tour - and which is available on a screen in the elevator lobbies on port days if you happen to notice it), or for the expected weather, or for a call-out about special events (sometimes just "sales" but could be shows, themed meal opportunities...), etc. 

Not having to do with this topic... but there were no complementary blue Princess bag(s) in our room this week or last. 

The captain announced some kind of issue with a generator? engine? this morning on our way into Glacier Bay, and called for a couple chief engineer-types to contact him, but he came back on within ten minutes to say it was fixed "for the time being" (the wording IIRC). 

Maybe someone else on this voyage heard something I missed , but it was a surprise to me when the Crown went first to Johns Hopkins/Lamplugh Glaciers and then to Grand Pacific/Margerie Glaciers, in spite of the fact that the Patter showed those visits reversed.  It almost seemed as if the Konigsdam hurried up their schedule and went in first to accommodate our situation, and we d-r-a-g-g-e-d along very slowly (4.8 knots) to allow them time to do Margerie before us.  We certainly stayed a minimum time at Margerie and left quickly after a 180 degree pivot. 

Edited by QuilterGirl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, QuilterGirl said:

@Valiamo, I have been on seven Princess cruises since the pause, and on none of them was a "Log of the Cruise" (or similarly named) provided.  

"Pre-covid" they were at Guest services on disembarkation day.  It is/was called the "Log of the Cruise", and gave distance travelled, speed and fun facts about the cruise.    

Oh well, things change as we rush to be digital and do EVERYTHING on our little phones.. Still cannot get over my kids watching movies on their little phone screens when they have a 60" TV sitting 10 feet away from them.

• Haha 2

On 5/31/2022 at 12:37 AM, sjde said:

I am so sorry. That must’ve been such a disappointment! 

It makes me wonder- 

At what point do we start treating this like the flu ? Five years ago if I had the flu I wouldnt have cancelled a cruise.  I 'd have medicated myself and probably spent the first day or two in my room. And yet the flu is contagious and some die from it. But we aren’t all tested before a trip. 

Once the under 5s and the rest of the world actually have a chance to get the vaccine.  I think people forget that there are age groups and countries who are still waiting to get access.  Passengers and crew are still coming home to people who haven't had the opportunity to get the vaccine, and we owe it those communities to make sure we limit their exposure until then.    

Edited by PhotoGal07
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, QuilterGirl said:

The captain announced some kind of issue with a generator? engine? this morning on our way into Glacier Bay, and called for a couple chief engineer-types to contact him, but he came back on within ten minutes to say it was fixed "for the time being" (the wording IIRC). 

Any update on this?  The "fixed for the time being" or similar wording would be concerning.  I saw on cruise mapper the Crown is currently at 18 knots, seems pretty consistent with the other sailings.

9 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Discovery Princess made all ports as scheduled during our cruise last week.

The issue with the Crown is that there is a mechanical issue with their propulsion system. According to someone I know at Princess, they have not yet been able to repair her because there are supply chain issues causing problems in getting the necessary parts Then, once they have the parts available, they have to find a dry dock that can take the ship and arrange repair personnel to actually make the repairs. So, because the ship is functional and safe to operate, if slower than it would normally be, they decided to alter the itineraries and continue sailing until repairs can be made.

I asked about Crown's issues on one of Discovery's threads. 

3 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

Any update on this?  The "fixed for the time being" or similar wording would be concerning.  I saw on cruise mapper the Crown is currently at 18 knots, seems pretty consistent with the other sailings.

I am on now and we are currently making 18 knots.

That said, we are entering some dense fog, so we’ll see how that goes. They are sounding the fog horn quite a bit.

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Valiamo said:

Can you post a picture of the details of the Cruise  (issued on the last day). 

I believe that when Princess started up after the Pandemic shutdown that the Log of The Cruise was no longer being prepared.

13 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

a youtuber posted the ship had propulsion issues in Glacier Bay, implying it was severely impacted.

Seems like  duct tape and bailing wire engineering is keeping this thing going.

Edited by Riley_Mon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

a youtuber posted the ship had propulsion issues in Glacier Bay, implying it was severely impacted.

Seems like  duct tape and bailing wire engineering is keeping this thing going.

This is getting more and more scarey...I can just picture the Crown shutting down at sea and people stranded for eons with Princess ignoring their plight.😲

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

This is getting more and more scarey...I can just picture the Crown shutting down at sea and people stranded for eons with Princess ignoring their plight.😲

Don’t say that…we are supposed to go

around the South Pacific on this ship!

Yikes!!

• Like 1

Anyone on the ship right now have a room on the port aft side (back left)?  I've heard about vibration issues in that area because of the engine and I am wondering how bad it is in the rooms.  I can handle all of the intinerary changes, etc. but this is concerning me--my room for the June 11th cruise is the furthest back on the left.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rrusso81 said:

Anyone on the ship right now have a room on the port aft side (back left)?  I've heard about vibration issues in that area because of the engine and I am wondering how bad it is in the rooms.  I can handle all of the intinerary changes, etc. but this is concerning me--my room for the June 11th cruise is the furthest back on the left.

We'll be right there with you, we are in E730.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rrusso81 said:

I haven't heard about room but I have heard people say to avoid the Boticelli ? dining room as the vibration and noise is very apparent

4 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

I haven't heard about room but I have heard people say to avoid the Boticelli ? dining room as the vibration and noise is very apparent

Yes, I had read that too- it makes sense because it is the dining room that is furthest back on the ship.  Maybe the vibrations are only an issue on the lower decks.  Just hoping I won't have issues when I'm trying to sleep!

5 minutes ago, rrusso81 said:

Yes, I had read that too- it makes sense because it is the dining room that is furthest back on the ship.  Maybe the vibrations are only an issue on the lower decks.  Just hoping I won't have issues when I'm trying to sleep!

Issues ??? why back in the day, I used to have to put a quarter in the slot to get those "vibrations" in a motel room bed😉... 'Magic Fingers'

• Haha 8

37 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Issues ??? why back in the day, I used to have to put a quarter in the slot to get those "vibrations" in a motel room bed😉... 'Magic Fingers'

Great minds think alike! 🤪

magic+fingers+25c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, rrusso81 said:

NOOOOOO!! That's my room 😞

Put something on the coffee table with weight. The first night it was a constant buzzing until I figured out it was the glass in the wooden frame vibrating. 

Moore your room steward is an absolute gem.

• Like 1