Disembarkation in Civitavecchia - July 17, 2022

We are doing the Mediterranean cruise Rome round trip.  The itinerary says we dock back in Civitavecchia at 6am on July 17th.  Most of my family have 11am flights.  They are planning to carry their luggage off and I want to schedule their pick up at the port.  Should I schedule pick up @6am or 7am?  What happens if I book 6am and they can’t get off, let’s just say, until 6:45am, will the transfer still be there?  Can anyone tell me if the ship, in fact, docked at 6am in Civitavecchia?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

Jinny 

If the itinerary says they dock at 6am, they will likely be there shortly before that time.  Weather or other situations can sometimes change that.  You won't know that until that day.

There will be little to no immigration/customs to deal with upon arrival, so walk off passengers will be able to leave the ship quite soon.  I would think by 7am or perhaps a little earlier IF the ship is on time and all goes well.

Only your transfer company can tell you if they will wait for you if you or your ship is late.  You should ask them their policy.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

One other question.  I have family leaving to return to the US on the morning the ship docks in Rome.  How can those family members get a COVID test if we will be on a ship until the day of travel?  Do they also want a negative COVID test at embarkation?

Just got off Escape yesterday. Since I was on a B2B2B, experienced this same thing more than once and we were there at 6 am.  It is around 7 am that guests start going off who can carry their own luggage.  Your transportation company can better advise when you should schedule pickup.  

I booked NCL's bus to the airport (for guests with flights after 12 noon) I was in the first transfer group, but that was with putting luggage out and picking it up in the terminal.

NCL provided complimentary covid testing for those who need to get back into their country.  U.S. does.  We had testing the day prior to disembark.  

In most recent case it was Cannes day in the afternoon, 1 day prior to our Civitavecchia disembarkation.  Phone call to cabin with results, plus written test results plus email to phone.  Testing was in one of the restaurants, well organized.

The previous sailing our last port was Livorno and it was the same procedure, different time, same venue.

It appears the free testing will stop June 17. I received this email from NCL:

In order to best comply with local regulations, all guests disembarking in Italian ports (Civitavecchia and Trieste) who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to their home country, will now have the following options: 

1. Purchase an easy-to-use telemedicine kit onboard 
2. Test at your convenience at the Rome-Fiumicino International Airport (testing will not be available at Trieste airport) 
3. Visit a local clinic 

This latest update will be in effect for all sailings beginning June 17, 2022. 

• Like 1

We used the test centre at Rome-Fiumicino last Dec(when needed for back to UK)  it was not busy but not that well organized glad we put an extra hour on timings.

Might be better now, not seen any recent review. 

17 hours ago, Cruiseandgamble said:

I got an updated letter from NCL implying the airport testing option won't be available any more (I'm on the June 21st Epic out of Rome):

image.png.96e137d7201a729449721fae64964a9e.png

Not sure that not listing the airport as an option is truly an indication that they no longer will be testing at the airport.  That is something I would be checking with the airport directly to verify.

• Like 1

Take Keith's advice, be sure to check the airport as testing is scaling down in Europe. Interesting to see they offer a telemedicine kit (eMed perhaps?), I suppose they would give you free WiFi acces to (at least) that URL/domain for taking the supervised test. But that would be another thread. :classic_smile:

On 6/4/2022 at 8:47 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Take Keith's advice, be sure to check the airport as testing is scaling down in Europe. Interesting to see they offer a telemedicine kit (eMed perhaps?), I suppose they would give you free WiFi acces to (at least) that URL/domain for taking the supervised test. But that would be another thread. :classic_smile:

I looked into eMed - I think that will likely be our best option.  Thanks

1 hour ago, krittykat said:

I looked into eMed - I think that will likely be our best option.  Thanks

Yep. NCL may offer the exact same test, be sure to inquire because IF they include data/Wifi that would be the easiest way.

At Civitavecchia there's mention of a drive in test site, lots of cons: appointment needed (via website), opens at 8am, must have an electronic medical prescription(?) and.. you have to call or email for your result only (hold on..) from Tuesday to Saturday.

Source; https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/coronavirus-arrivals-and-departures-port-civitavecchia

I am sure that there are better test sites around Civitavecchia but I would prefer the comfort and ease of use of a telemed test and not to worry about it after disembarkation. But.. Hopefully you won't need a test next month, who knows!

On 6/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Yep. NCL may offer the exact same test, be sure to inquire because IF they include data/Wifi that would be the easiest way.

At Civitavecchia there's mention of a drive in test site, lots of cons: appointment needed (via website), opens at 8am, must have an electronic medical prescription(?) and.. you have to call or email for your result only (hold on..) from Tuesday to Saturday.

Source; https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/coronavirus-arrivals-and-departures-port-civitavecchia

I am sure that there are better test sites around Civitavecchia but I would prefer the comfort and ease of use of a telemed test and not to worry about it after disembarkation. But.. Hopefully you won't need a test next month, who knows!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that testing to get back into the US will not be required by October (just an annoying hoop to jump through) but I am now convinced that the telemed tests would be best.  I will get some before we leave to take with.   I

14 hours ago, krittykat said:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that testing to get back into the US will not be required by October (just an annoying hoop to jump through) but I am now convinced that the telemed tests would be best.  I will get some before we leave to take with.   I

I hope so too! Planning a trip too in fall... :classic_laugh:

Be sure to have a WiFi package, or a hotel day room after disembarkation with WiFi for taking the test. You will be online around 15-20 minutes in a video call. I assume the ship's WiFi is fast enough to cater to those who might buy NCL's telemed test. Otherwise test on a port day, a shore or when the ship is quiet/low on pax, IF the timeframe (the day before rule, which btw is not 24H but a day) allows you.

If you bring an iPad/tablet, which is favourable for the test vs mobile phone (smaller display), practice setting it up slightly tilted so it views your tabletop/desktop where the proctor can oversee the test being unboxed, the test itself and it's progress during the wait for the result. Of course all of this only when the proctor asks you to, in the videocall.

edit: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack  This is the cheapest per test option for eMed

Edited by FreestyleNovice

9 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I hope so too! Planning a trip too in fall... :classic_laugh:

Be sure to have a WiFi package, or a hotel day room after disembarkation with WiFi for taking the test. You will be online around 15-20 minutes in a video call. I assume the ship's WiFi is fast enough to cater to those who might buy NCL's telemed test. Otherwise test on a port day, a shore or when the ship is quiet/low on pax, IF the timeframe (the day before rule, which btw is not 24H but a day) allows you.

If you bring an iPad/tablet, which is favourable for the test vs mobile phone (smaller display), practice setting it up slightly tilted so it views your tabletop/desktop where the proctor can oversee the test being unboxed, the test itself and it's progress during the wait for the result. Of course all of this only when the proctor asks you to, in the videocall.

edit: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack  This is the cheapest per test option for eMed

Appreciate all the help.  Yes, we have a hotel with wifi, post cruise for one night. Should have plenty of time to do the proctored tests.  Have my tablet, so does hubby and we can use those. So, if it is still required, I think we can do this.    What seemed such a large obstacle does not seem so bad now.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, krittykat said:

It worked!