Do ships routinely dock backwards?

8 hours ago, GJustice said:

I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt and assumed they know the meaning of port side not having anything to do with docking. 😃

I did know that but  in my experience I usually book starboard, just because, no reason and they have seemed to overlook the ocean. Like I said, first time on RCCL in 5 years and I just wondered if there was a reason. Apparently not so I will just book what cabin I want and not care what I have a view of! Usually it isn't about the dock at all! Of my next 2 cruises one is starboard and one is portside.

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Left and right side when facing toward the bow. 

Oasis class ship was docked port side to pier in Cococay this past Friday..I was on board Mariner docked starboard to pier. 

I was on The Mariner also, which is why my question! I had a lovely view of the water, which was much better than the other ship that was in port! It worked out to my favor !

12 hours ago, island lady said:

And sometimes Harmony backs into a port....and takes out the mooring extension pier while doing so.  😮  😉 

I came to this thread specifically to see if someone had made this type of comment.  CC does not disappoint!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

I came to this thread specifically to see if someone had made this type of comment.  CC does not disappoint!  LOL

Sorry...couldn't resist....especially since I was on the ship during the "bump".  😉   Only a tiny dent on the aft of the ship, but the mooring tie line extension...did not survive.  Burial at sea. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Sorry...couldn't resist....especially since I was on the ship during the "bump".  😉   Only a tiny dent on the aft of the ship, but the mooring tie line extension...did not survive.  Burial at sea. 

Curious ... was the crunching sound really as bad as that YouTube vid makes it seem?   Or was that embellished?  

17 hours ago, F27TW said:

Curious ... was the crunching sound really as bad as that YouTube vid makes it seem?   Or was that embellished?  

The sound of the extension mooring tie up island, being crunched and demolished.  Sunk into the sea.  

Think battering ram on a ladder.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

The sound of the extension mooring tie up island, being crunched and demolished.  Sunk into the sea.  

Think battering ram on a ladder.  

Thanks! it sounded pretty gruesome!  lol 

6 hours ago, F27TW said:

Thanks! it sounded pretty gruesome!  lol 

Yeah, sounded bad.   Almost no damage to the ship (just cosmetic actually)....but think trash compactor going at an aluminum ladder.  That kind of noise.  😉