Wi-fi & Internet observations Queen Mary 2

D&N

@Host HattieIf you prefer this in an existing thread please move.

I can't compare two levels as I opted for premium. Speedtest.net shows error if I try to run a test.
However I have automatically backed up around 1.2Gb of photos and videos to my cloud storage. I have made numerous posts here and on Facebook and WhatsApp, email, banking and browsing are fine. Downloading my daily paper takes a while.
I'm using a Dual SIM MotoG 5G plus, running Android 11. I have both SIMs turned off and Flight Mode on.
I need to follow a short routine. First check and refresh the wi-fi connection. Then log into MyVoyage, it disconnects really easily. Then wi-fi account page and select 'use' then 'connect'. And it works fine.
Sounds like hassle but when you've figured out what needs done it takes about 15 seconds.

Public areas are a bit faster than cabin but I still get it working there. We are quite near Pavilion though.

• Like 3

I should also say that lengthy posts are best typed on text editor, I use OneNote, then copy and paste. System thinks you're not using it while you type and may disconnect.

• Like 1

The Essentials package I had in March was fine while in our PG stateroom and around the ship, but once we were transferred into the quarantine cabin when I caught Covid then we had very patchy reception and it was almost unusable. It's not surprising that being closed up in  a metal box, which the state room is, reduces your WiFi reception though

Edited by rakkor

I wouldn't say it is ideal of course. I wouldn't say I was an IT professional but worked in an IT environment for a great deal of my career. It took me a bit to figure out the best sequence of opening pages. It's not really suitable as a mass market product.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, D&N said:

@Host HattieIf you prefer this in an existing thread please move.

I can't compare two levels as I opted for premium. Speedtest.net shows error if I try to run a test.
However I have automatically backed up around 1.2Gb of photos and videos to my cloud storage. I have made numerous posts here and on Facebook and WhatsApp, email, banking and browsing are fine. Downloading my daily paper takes a while.
I'm using a Dual SIM MotoG 5G plus, running Android 11. I have both SIMs turned off and Flight Mode on.
I need to follow a short routine. First check and refresh the wi-fi connection. Then log into MyVoyage, it disconnects really easily. Then wi-fi account page and select 'use' then 'connect'. And it works fine.
Sounds like hassle but when you've figured out what needs done it takes about 15 seconds.

Public areas are a bit faster than cabin but I still get it working there. We are quite near Pavilion though.

Wow I'm glad you found a work around - but seriously pity the poor people on "it support" on board - must users are used to connecting to wifi  once and then everytime you return to the same hotel/ship - being able to reconnect automatically 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have heard from many people that the Wi-Fi on the Queen Mary 2 is awful and not worth the price.  I also like the idea of being "off the grid".

But the reality is my company might need to contact me when I am at sea.  How can they do that if I don't buy a Wi-Fi package?  I assume there is no 5G or any type of cellular service on the ship.  

Telegram?  😉

6 minutes ago, KnightrosDad said:

I have heard from many people that the Wi-Fi on the Queen Mary 2 is awful and not worth the price.  I also like the idea of being "off the grid".

But the reality is my company might need to contact me when I am at sea.  How can they do that if I don't buy a Wi-Fi package?  I assume there is no 5G or any type of cellular service on the ship.  

Telegram?  😉

My DW is also trying to figure out what her needs will be for our sailing. We too like to keep in contact and will try to deal with the strength of the service.