A couple of insurance questions

I asked this on the RCCL but it was suggested I do it here for better knowledge.

We have B2B cruise booked late August from Copenhagen. First is a 7 day and the next a 14 day. When buying insurance, should I buy separate policies for each leg of the trip or one policy covering the 21 days. My thoughts were, if something happened and we couldn't do the first leg and were able to do the second, would that effect the coverage I buy, again, one policy for both trips or one for each leg?

Second part is a question on coverage/price. What we paid for this cruise, almost 2 years ago, and several lift and shifts latter is about 1/3 of what this cruise is going for now. Like we paid about $1500 and now it is about $4500. When putting down the cost of the cruise, am I using the original cost or what it would cost to redo the cruise if we couldn't go?

Some one also suggested an annual policy which does sound intriguing. 

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Len

20 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I asked this on the RCCL but it was suggested I do it here for better knowledge.

We have B2B cruise booked late August from Copenhagen. First is a 7 day and the next a 14 day. When buying insurance, should I buy separate policies for each leg of the trip or one policy covering the 21 days. My thoughts were, if something happened and we couldn't do the first leg and were able to do the second, would that effect the coverage I buy, again, one policy for both trips or one for each leg?

Second part is a question on coverage/price. What we paid for this cruise, almost 2 years ago, and several lift and shifts latter is about 1/3 of what this cruise is going for now. Like we paid about $1500 and now it is about $4500. When putting down the cost of the cruise, am I using the original cost or what it would cost to redo the cruise if we couldn't go?

Some one also suggested an annual policy which does sound intriguing. 

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Len

You should ask the travel insurer or the broker how to handle the two cruises.  You want to be sure that it's insured such that any covered event really is covered!

You will need to provide a proof of money lost, which means receipts for what you paid.  They did need specific receipts for *every* claimed loss.  Unfortunately, they very likely won't pay what you'd need to replace the cruise, or at the least, not the policies we've used or are familiar with.  Whether the cruise company's own insurance might do that...??

GC

I have not seen an instance of someone missing the first leg and trying to begin with the second. More often, someone gets sick during the first and cancels the second in which case, the entire loss is covered when insured with one policy. In your scenario, you can’t use the same policy for the second leg if you have already used it to file a claim for the first. Consult a professional for a definitive answer.

Insure prepaid nonrefundable expenses. You can’t claim more than you actually paid;  so if you have to cancel, you’ll be reimbursed for your loss but no more.You’ll just have to make up the difference if you want to book another cruise at a later date.

Annual policies are typically for medical only, but there are some that include cancellation and other travel risks. The trouble is that the travel benefits are usually capped at rather low levels. You’ll just have to take a look at some to see if they meet your travel needs and risk tolerance.

Several years back we had to cancel a week before leaving for Europe.  There were two cruises and a land trip involved.    We asked that same question when it became apparent we would definitely be canceling the first cruise due to a last minute surgery.   Insurance would not cover just the first one and allow us to take the second cruise.  We had the entire trip covered in just the one policy. 

Covid is a different beast so that may possibly make a difference. 

1 minute ago, greatestvalue said:

So annual policies don't typically cover evacuation? 

Medical evacuation is included in medical coverage. It provides for hosptial-to-hospital transfer as determined to be medically necessary by the attending physician, the receiving physician/hospital, and the insurance company. 

By medical only, I mean they do not provide for travel risks such as cancellation or baggage delay or missed connections - the variety of things covered in a comprehensive travel policy.

• Like 1

Make sure read the fine print on Trip Delay for each cruise.   Many policies end the day the cruise ends and if you have a gap between the two cruises you may not have complete coverage.   Just be sure all the calendar days get coverage when you get your policies.

• Like 1