QUEEN'S GRILLE SEATING

Bav

I will shortly be on Queen Victoria.    My friends have recently returned from a cruise, but were disappointed about the closeness of the tables in the Queen's Grille.

Some of them are side by side with little distance between the two.   I am not anti social but my wife and I had the experience of a woman sat beside us who would not stop talking...which spoilt the evening dinner, so much so that we  had to eat at a  later time to avoid them (it did not work..they began to eat later !! )

Can we choose the table we want at the start of the cruise ? Some of the tables are spaced at a more realistic distance apart. I was thinking of speaking to the Maitre d' on embarkation.  Do you think that would help ?.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

A table will have been allocated for you. If you're not happy with it, you can certainly ask to be moved. Twice in the Grills we've had a different table after lunch on the first day because someone else had asked to move.

14 hours ago, Bav said:

Can we choose the table we want at the start of the cruise ? Some of the tables are spaced at a more realistic distance apart. I was thinking of speaking to the Maitre d' on embarkation.  Do you think that would help ?.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

The answer is yes. 

Though you will have been allocated a table, usually nominated on a card in your stateroom,  I've always found the trick is to get to the restaurant as soon as possible after embarking and carry out a recce.

The staff are always keen to oblige. Of course you may well have been allocated one of the excellent Grills tables set against the outer window, as seen here on the right of my photograph...

644068144_GrillsRestaurantseating1.thumb.jpg.1f08da2e523512a1a909a374fd451428.jpg 

I would add, we have always found that a Q1/2/3 are understandably allocated the prime tables. As i think it should be. So I would imagine if you are in a Q5-7 for example you should not expect the finest table in the house. Having no experience of anything other than Q1/2 or 3 I cannot confirm this, however other folks in the same suites as us were seated nearby.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

I would add, we have always found that a Q1/2/3 are understandably allocated the prime tables. As i think it should be. So I would imagine if you are in a Q5-7 for example you should not expect the finest table in the house. Having no experience of anything other than Q1/2 or 3 I cannot confirm this, however other folks in the same suites as us were seated nearby.

and in our experience, which might be less than yours, I admit, those who are regulars in QG, whatever the cabin category [and i speak as one who travels 2 or 3 and will experience a 1 soon]  usually get  'their' choice for the simple reason, the staff know what their preferences are.

Which leads onto what is the finest  table.  That is entirely subjective as was borne out a few years ago when one member objected in a thread to the table they had been allocated when I knew for a fact regular world cruise Q1 'ers had that table by choice.